In a Dilema Need quick advice

olly42

Hi Folks,

I am unable to enjoy my AV / Dedicated Stereo set up as I have a neighbour who is always cribbing of the volume even when its not that loud - and then maybe it is. I dont want to give a biased decision. So I need some help to resolve the problem - Any feasible suggesstions/ ideas will help

Thanks in advance - Olly

Hi Folks,

I am unable to enjoy my AV / Dedicated Stereo set up as I have a neighbour who is always cribbing of the volume even when its not that loud - and then maybe it is. I dont want to give a biased decision. So I need some help to resolve the problem - Any feasible suggesstions/ ideas will help

Thanks in advance - Olly

hmmm !! time for a visit to the 'shrink" - :yahoo:

Get an spl meter or use a smartphone app to get an idea of what kind of levels you are listening at. You can share that on this thread.

hmmm !! time for a visit to the 'shrink" - :yahoo:

2chFreak after all that investment I dont have $$$$ to take the neighbour to the shrink you gotta come up with better ideas than that :eek:hyeah: thanks but no thanks lol

Get an spl meter or use a smartphone app to get an idea of what kind of levels you are listening at. You can share that on this thread.

iaudio will have to carry out this recommendation and see, how ever the volume knob is more or less below 10 o clock position

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance - Olly

one man's music is another man's noise likewise one man's silence is still another man's noise.

I too face a similar problem from one particular neighbor only. what % of volume control do you play at ?

Try putting the music on at usual volume and go nearby your neighbors place and see how audible it is.

acoustic treatment are 2 types

one is room treatment while the other is sound-proofing

the latter is required but all this only if you live in a permanent place as its expensive

cheaper course maybe to pay 'night-out booze money' to the neighborhood goons/toughies to drive out ThiS "nerd of a neighbor" you have

think abt it seriously

Move house... or move to a different room (the farthest from the neighbor). I had to move my system out of the bedroom cause the wife found it too loud (also the thrash metal was driving her mad)!

Other option to consider is sound proofing the room or acoustic treatment along those lines. Soundproofing will be expensive but something like cotton wool can be worked out at a budget... personally though I would not be spending for the sake of my neighbor. But if the sound is mainly going through one door or window then its easier to block just that area at a budget.

Try to work out a compromise with the neighbor i.e. no listening way late into the night or whatever is troubling him/her.

Also, play at normal volume i.e. at your usual volume level and visit the neighbor to see if its really loud or the neighbor just wants to be a pain in the a** without a genuine reason.

Visit the neighbor over for the odd movie or music session along with some tea and snacks... maybe that will make them happy and appreciative of your setup.

This guy .... is he .......
staying below you?
or on the same floor?

avidyarthy,

he stays in the floor above me in the opposite building. My hall overlooks my veranda and the music is audible even at low volumes :( I havent able to really play anything at loud volumes

Move house... or move to a different room (the farthest from the neighbor). I had to move my system out of the bedroom cause the wife found it too loud (also the thrash metal was driving her mad)!

Other option to consider is sound proofing the room or acoustic treatment along those lines. Soundproofing will be expensive but something like cotton wool can be worked out at a budget... personally though I would not be spending for the sake of my neighbor. But if the sound is mainly going through one door or window then its easier to block just that area at a budget.

Try to work out a compromise with the neighbor i.e. no listening way late into the night or whatever is troubling him/her.

Also, play at normal volume i.e. at your usual volume level and visit the neighbor to see if its really loud or the neighbor just wants to be a pain in the a** without a genuine reason.

Visit the neighbor over for the odd movie or music session along with some tea and snacks... maybe that will make them happy and appreciative of your setup.

musicbee to be honest with you I dont want to a source of inconvenience to anyone. If he is having a problem then i would want to get this issue resolved and have a win win situation for both. The issue is that my set up is in the hall which overlooks the verandah. The music is audible even at low volumes as the buildings are really close. I never play loud music in the night but over the week end when i really find some time i play for long hours

Olly

avidyarthy,

he stays in the floor above me in the opposite building. My hall overlooks my veranda and the music is audible even at low volumes :( I havent able to really play anything at loud volumes

In that case I might as well add...

Hire a contract killer (just kidding before anyone takes offense to it).

But the guy seems to be a killjoy and more interested in spoiling somebody else's fun nevermind the music is not really distracting or even remotely bothering him... unless of course your buildings are like 1 feet apart and even then it should bother person opposite to you... not the person above.

I play pretty loud and for a good 6-8 hours a day... and nobody has been ever bothered.

acoustic treatment are 2 types

one is room treatment while the other is sound-proofing

the latter is required but all this only if you live in a permanent place as its expensive

cheaper course maybe to pay 'night-out booze money' to the neighborhood goons/toughies to drive out ThiS "nerd of a neighbor" you have

think abt it seriously

This is my permanent residence and as a matter of fact the other building came up recently and this dude moved in. I need to find a solution where i can sound proof the hall when i am listening to music but that would cut off all the light coming into the hall from the veranda

Olly

musicbee to be honest with you I dont want to a source of inconvenience to anyone. If he is having a problem then i would want to get this issue resolved and have a win win situation for both. The issue is that my set up is in the hall which overlooks the verandah. The music is audible even at low volumes as the buildings are really close. I never play loud music in the night but over the week end when i really find some time i play for long hours

Olly

Then the only workable solution will be sound proofing your hall. Any door between the hall and the verandah that you can close? And is the sound loud even when the door is closed?

In that case I might as well add...

Hire a contract killer (just kidding before anyone takes offense to it).

But the guy seems to be a killjoy and more interested in spoiling somebody else's fun nevermind the music is not really distracting or even remotely bothering him... unless of course your buildings are like 1 feet apart and even then it should bother person opposite to you... not the person above.

I play pretty loud and for a good 6-8 hours a day... and nobody has been ever bothered.

Musicbee the irony of the situation is that no one from my biuilding has ever complained :(

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back