In pursuit of sweet sound

smot2228

Hi respected members,

I write my first post in the forum after so much of fond reading of posts by the huge audio video enthusiasts and gurus.

My name is sandeep from mumbai and am contacting few of you through this post to share my query and quickly check if you could advise me a solution for it.

2 years back, I purchased a Yamaha RN 803 stereo receiver and Castle Knight 5 floor standing speakers to go along with it.

That year as it was a new home and a new set up for me, I threw parties and enjoyed the thumpy music that sounded as good as it would sound in a club (love it even now)

During lock down, staying home, I took up listening to more music and the genre this during time was melodius and at a much lower volume.

During this period I concluded that the set up sounds great for parties hearing DJ music but rating it for clarity and sweet sound, I would rate it 2 of 5.

Sometimes I think that changing the speakers would make the desired difference . But honestly I love the speakers. Dynamic soundstage. Perfect bass timing, superb built quality and great looks that go extremely well with the home interiors.

I wouldn't prefer to change the amplifier as I had purchased it carefully studying the specs that include decent power, networking and streaming capability for music from NAS, tidal, spotify, USB

I also tried connecting a TEAC cassette player and played a cassette which was mastered from CD source. Still unhappy with :-( Wonder if a streaming DAC / pre amp could help ?

Few months back, I replaced the stock power cable of the amplifier and replaced it with an audiophile grade quality. This reduced the distortion levels in the music which I could hear distinctly.

The speaker cable being used is 16 awg OFC.

Source used is good quality mp3 , FLAC from NAS, Tidal and at times Spotify and apple music. No LP or CD

I have everything perfectly well placed in this set up apart from exceptional clarity and super sweet sound.

Can someone suggest if there is a missing link in this small 2 chain set up or will I need to replace the amp/ speaker one that would match better with each other in this digital set up?

I am willing to spend to bi amp/ add / change whatever it takes to make that phenomenal difference in sound quality.

Regards
Sandeep

Hi respected members,

I write my first post in the forum after so much of fond reading of posts by the huge audio video enthusiasts and gurus.

My name is sandeep from mumbai and am contacting few of you through this post to share my query and quickly check if you could advise me a solution for it.

2 years back, I purchased a Yamaha RN 803 stereo receiver and Castle Knight 5 floor standing speakers to go along with it.

That year as it was a new home and a new set up for me, I threw parties and enjoyed the thumpy music that sounded as good as it would sound in a club (love it even now)

During lock down, staying home, I took up listening to more music and the genre this during time was melodius and at a much lower volume.

During this period I concluded that the set up sounds great for parties hearing DJ music but rating it for clarity and sweet sound, I would rate it 2 of 5.

Sometimes I think that changing the speakers would make the desired difference . But honestly I love the speakers. Dynamic soundstage. Perfect bass timing, superb built quality and great looks that go extremely well with the home interiors.

I wouldn't prefer to change the amplifier as I had purchased it carefully studying the specs that include decent power, networking and streaming capability for music from NAS, tidal, spotify, USB

I also tried connecting a TEAC cassette player and played a cassette which was mastered from CD source. Still unhappy with :-( Wonder if a streaming DAC / pre amp could help ?

Few months back, I replaced the stock power cable of the amplifier and replaced it with an audiophile grade quality. This reduced the distortion levels in the music which I could hear distinctly.

The speaker cable being used is 16 awg OFC.

Source used is good quality mp3 , FLAC from NAS, Tidal and at times Spotify and apple music. No LP or CD

I have everything perfectly well placed in this set up apart from exceptional clarity and super sweet sound.

Can someone suggest if there is a missing link in this small 2 chain set up or will I need to replace the amp/ speaker one that would match better with each other in this digital set up?

I am willing to spend to bi amp/ add / change whatever it takes to make that phenomenal difference in sound quality.

Regards
Sandeep
What's your budget is the big question?

You have a great set up out there. If you want to start looking for that sound which your mind’s looking for then it’s very difficult to achieve.
If you are too keen on an upgrade, may be you can try adding a tube pre amp and see if you like that warmth in music.

It’s a deep hole. We always crave for more ;) so i understand when the upgrade bug bites we can’t stop!

Thats just my thought! May be you will find that sound you are looking for.

Happy hunting. All the best!
Regards,
Som

The speakers you have are good enough for some sweet music that you want.
You could probably do with a good integrated amp like Naim, Exposure, Roksan and Marantz SA series depending upon how much you are willing to spend.
You just need to get the amp pairing right.

First try changing speaker wire. 14 or 12 awg
You'll get good electrical wire at the local shop for 200INR

Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu
+1

Also do check your speaker positioning , adjust your amp equaliser settings. Is your bass set too high maybe ? With your setup you should get rich sweet sound even at 9 o clock position.

Also - when you speak of your desired sound - is it based on a real life setup you heard yourself ?

Although I would say that network streamers - especially one with lots of connectivity options are not always the last word in musicality. Full analog amps (integrated or pre-power ) are usually the best purely when SQ is concerned...at least within the 2L bracket.

The Yamaha is fairly versatile and good quality (especially for the money). The amplifier in it is better than the streamer so that upgrade path is a valid one. However, that would be a last resort in my view.

Before you decide to make any equipment changes, a few things to try out:
1. Play around with room placement - makes a big difference (often more than equipment changes)
2. If you're listening at lower levels, experiment with the loudness control dial
3. experiment with the room treatment feature in the Yamaha
4. The Yamaha has a noticeable difference in presentation with the pure direct mode. Do experiment with that.

The speakers you have are good enough for some sweet music that you want.
You could probably do with a good integrated amp like Naim, Exposure, Roksan and Marantz SA series depending upon how much you are willing to spend.
You just need to get the amp pairing right.
Thank you sir

What's your budget is the big question?i think that will need to be varaible untill content

The Yamaha is fairly versatile and good quality (especially for the money). The amplifier in it is better than the streamer so that upgrade path is a valid one. However, that would be a last resort in my view.

Before you decide to make any equipment changes, a few things to try out:
1. Play around with room placement - makes a big difference (often more than equipment changes)
2. If you're listening at lower levels, experiment with the loudness control dial
3. experiment with the room treatment feature in the Yamaha
4. The Yamaha has a noticeable difference in presentation with the pure direct mode. Do experiment with that.
Hi Jai,
Thank you. My answers as below
1. I wouldn't be able to play around much with speaker placement. Sideways or forward/back. Don't have much area that I can play with.
2. Loudness is disabled as I have callibrated using YPAO
3. Done.
4. More dynamic using ypao rather than pure direct.

Regards,
Sandeep

Cheers,
Raghu
Hi Raghu,
Thank you. The speakers are placed approx 3.5 feet away from the amplifier and each speaker cable run length is about 4.5 feet each from the amplifier. I was under the thought that 14 or 12 AWG cables are used in case of longer lengths or extremely high end equipment.
Regards,
Sandeep

Hi Raghu,
Thank you. The speakers are placed approx 3.5 feet away from the amplifier and each speaker cable run length is about 4.5 feet each from the amplifier. I was under the thought that 14 or 12 AWG cables are used in case of longer lengths or extremely high end equipment.
Regards,
Sandeep
It may bring about a different presentation. Give it a spin.
Cheers,
Raghu

+1

Also do check your speaker positioning , adjust your amp equaliser settings. Is your bass set too high maybe ? With your setup you should get rich sweet sound even at 9 o clock position.

Also - when you speak of your desired sound - is it based on a real life setup you heard yourself ?
Thank you Dada,

I am in the love triangle with the speakers. Amp treble is turned slightly to the right for want of more clarity.

My desired sound is when I hear cheaper powered single bluetoth speakers of jbl, beats audio, etc in my own environment.
Regards,
Sandeep

What's your budget is the big question?
Actually depends what needs to be done. If its just the amp and Speakers then its as follows
Amp: 50 to 75k
Speakers: similar budget

Im not quite sure what would need to be spent additionally in case of a separate network streaming with inbuilt DAC, high end audio cables like transperent audio or audio quest, sound treatment etc.

You have a great set up out there. If you want to start looking for that sound which your mind’s looking for then it’s very difficult to achieve.
If you are too keen on an upgrade, may be you can try adding a tube pre amp and see if you like that warmth in music.

It’s a deep hole. We always crave for more ;) so i understand when the upgrade bug bites we can’t stop!

Thats just my thought! May be you will find that sound you are looking for.

Happy hunting. All the best!
Regards,
Som
Hi sir, in case of a tube pre amp, I would need a CD player with a good audio CD collection or LP as the source. For now I seek to enhance the sound of my digitally ripped high res music good quality stored in the network and also music that I stream through online services.
Regards,
Sandeep

Although I would say that network streamers - especially one with lots of connectivity options are not always the last word in musicality. Full analog amps (integrated or pre-power ) are usually the best purely when SQ is concerned...at least within the 2L bracket.
What about class D amps ? Are they better and more correct option for digital music ?
Regards,
Sandeep

What you are searching for is micro details, balanced freq response, dynamics and nuances in music at a low volume level. This is only possible if you approach your system building in a very different way. The path you have taken will give you macro details. You need to retract your steps and redo it at least partially with a different goal in mind. Surely all new cables and a dac. Other things...you will need to explore and come to a conclusion.

Back