In pursuit of sweet sound

Speakers are 8 ohms. So stuck to 16 AWG. But still will try as the suggestion comes from a senior authority like yourself.
Regards,
Sandeep
I'm no authority.

Try to get 2.5 sqmm OFC (4 sqmm if you have banana plugs) wire from companies like Polycab or Finolex or similar.
The shop will try to sell you a spool, but if you have done business with them earlier, they'll oblige and give you cut length.
If the cable experiment works for you, problem solved (for now), until you start picking on something else :p

If it does not work, Rs. 200-300 loss and you eliminated one possibility.
Then you can start your pursuit of component change, etc.

Cheers,
Raghu

Actually depends what needs to be done. If its just the amp and Speakers then its as follows
Amp: 50 to 75k
Speakers: similar budget

Im not quite sure what would need to be spent additionally in case of a separate network streaming with inbuilt DAC, high end audio cables like transperent audio or audio quest, sound treatment etc.
Hi

Makes no sense selling off this amp and speakers whatsoever !It’s quite , quite a good setup.

I’m pretty sure room acoustics /speaker positioning / furniture placement is the culprit here .
Can you share pics of your room ?

Disable all the dsp settings on the amp if you have done any auto calibration with the mic using the Yamaha room correction tool or bypass it with the Pure Direct button usually found on all receivers. Compare and see what improves.
Room response plays a big role so you will have to take account of that aswell. First take a simple clap test to hear if the room is echoing. If reasonably dead then leave atleast 12/18 inches to the rear and 3 feet on the sides or vice versa. Avoid equi distance to rear and the sides.
Try both near field and far field listening. Your listening point should roughly be the the apex of an equilateral triangle, so adjust space between speakers accordingly. Avoid sitting against or close to the back wall. Ideally leave 2/3 feet.
I am not getting into room treatment as it is a major area and many don't have liberty to treat. Moot basic use a carpet in front upto your listening location or you can carpet the entire floor also. Try thick curtains on windows or leave them open

I'm no authority.

Try to get 2.5 sqmm OFC (4 sqmm if you have banana plugs) wire from companies like Polycab or Finolex or similar.
The shop will try to sell you a spool, but if you have done business with them earlier, they'll oblige and give you cut length.
If the cable experiment works for you, problem solved (for now), until you start picking on something else :p

If it does not work, Rs. 200-300 loss and you eliminated one possibility.
Then you can start your pursuit of component change, etc.

Cheers,
Raghu
See you are the good one who know all these things. Thank you. I will try this soon. Looking forward.

What you are searching for is micro details, balanced freq response, dynamics and nuances in music at a low volume level. This is only possible if you approach your system building in a very different way. The path you have taken will give you macro details. You need to retract your steps and redo it at least partially with a different goal in mind. Surely all new cables and a dac. Other things...you will need to explore and come to a conclusion.
Balanced frequency response and Dynamics are good
Clarity, open sound and nuances in music at a low volume are missing.
I think the bass is the culprit. Not its throw but the frequency that its throwing. It somehow needs to be tuned to the right frequency.
Maybe bi amping or bi wiring or somehow if an active crossover could be used in the chain. Reading more before starting to spend.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-f3KUqVjcrqQ/learn/why-biamp-your-speakers.html

https://hub.yamaha.com/how-and-why-to-bi-amp-your-speakers/

https://www.audioadvice.com/videos-reviews/speaker-bi-wiring-bi-amping-explained/

Regards,
Sandeep

Hi

Makes no sense selling off this amp and speakers whatsoever !It’s quite , quite a good setup.

I’m pretty sure room acoustics /speaker positioning / furniture placement is the culprit here .
Can you share pics of your room ?

Attachments

• 20201029_145206.jpg
    20201029_145206.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 63
See you are the good one who know all these things. Thank you. I will try this soon. Looking forward.
Finolex has proper speaker cables too.

Attachments

• 20201029_150028.jpg
    20201029_150028.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201029_150050.jpg
    20201029_150050.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 20
Looks to me the speakers are placed way too close to each other. They need to be spaced furthur apart and at least a foot apart from the rear wall too. Have you tried these positions ?

Also as another FM suggested - try Source direct and disable all DSP settings.

Looks to me the speakers are placed way too close to each other. They need to be spaced furthur apart and at least a foot apart from the rear wall too. Have you tried these positions ?
Distance between speakers is 7 feet. Distance between speaker and mycentre listening position is 8 feet.

Since the speaker uses TPT (Twin-Pipe Technology), transmission-line, vented through the speaker base and is not rear ported, I have not kept them a foot away but 1/2 a foot away from the wall.

Distance between speakers is 7 feet. Distance between speaker and mycentre listening position is 8 feet.

Since the speaker uses TPT (Twin-Pipe Technology), transmission-line, vented through the speaker base and is not rear ported, I have not kept them a foot away but 1/2 a foot away from the wall.

Okay - if those are the measurements then it’s fine. From the picture it looked less than 7 feet. :)

Second thing is checking Source Direct after disabling DSP.

When you say at low volume - what’s the volume position ? Can you try streaming this file and see if it sounds to your liking (clarity wise ) ?

Okay - if those are the measurements then it’s fine. From the picture it looked less than 7 feet. :)

When you say at low volume - what’s the volume position ? Can you try streaming this file and see if it sounds to your liking (clarity wise )

When you say at low volume - what’s the volume position ? Can you try streaming this file and see if it sounds to your liking (clarity wise ) ?

Yep clear 7 feet. Pure direct brings down the dynamism. Infact disabling YPAO also kills the drama. Clarity wise I will stream the track and update. Thnak you sir.
Regards,
Sandeep

I have everything perfectly well placed in this set up apart from exceptional clarity and super sweet sound.
So you have low treble. Why dont you increase the treble pot a bit? Thats might be the easiest solution IMO

If I keep the treble way up than center position to artificially boost the highs which as of today is my only option to somehow increase the clarity.
But this sound is not natural & not even close to what good file based music should actually sound like

Could you try moving your speakers away from the wall and see if it improves

Very nice track @Bloom@83. Played it and was amazed with the frequencies it has. Good Higs, Great vocals and nice deep bass.

One way is to increase the treble as you have stated. But I think a better way would be to try and reduce the bass. Sometimes, bass can mask a few of the upper frequencies making it appear as if the speaker has less clarity especially in a floorstander kept that close to the wall.

One way is to increase the treble as you have stated. But I think a better way would be to try and reduce the bass. Sometimes, bass can mask a few of the upper frequencies making it appear as if the speaker has less clarity.
Absolutely right. I was getting dynamic bass and mid bass as I had used YPAO calibration and kept in on. Now first time in so many months I will keep YPAO off which makes the system less dynamic (less bass) As a result the cones don't move and the drama that YPAO creates comes to a standstill. But yes I am trying to understand this way of listening.
Prior to this I had a Marantz AVR and was hooked on to it Audyssey setting for the dynamic soundstage it created while driving the Jamo FS

Absolutely right. I was getting dynamic bass and mid bass as I had used YPAO calibration and kept in on. Now first time in so many months I will keep YPAO off which makes the system less dynamic (less bass) As a result the cones don't move and the drama that YPAO creates comes to a standstill. But yes I am trying to understand this way of listening.
Prior to this I had a Marantz AVR and was hooked on to it Audyssey setting for the dynamic soundstage it created while driving the Jamo FS
Heavy overpowering bass does suppress midrange in lower end speakers but in your system you shouldn’t have to compromise on bass just to get the treble right.
I auditioned Castle Knight bookshelves few years back on a Marantz stereo amp and they sounded wonderful - warm , punchy with clear midrange and pleasing highs.
It’s surprising why your setup isn’t giving that kind of a sound even at low (9 o clock ) volumes.
Did you try that YouTube link ?

Heavy overpowering bass does suppress midrange in lower end speakers but in your system you shouldn’t have to compromise on bass just to get the treble right.
I auditioned Castle Knight bookshelves few years back on a Marantz stereo amp and they sounded wonderful - warm , punchy with clear midrange and pleasing highs.
It’s surprising why your setup isn’t giving that kind of a sound even at low (9 o clock ) volumes.
Did you try that YouTube link not. Now im trying to have a listen without YPAO..

Did you try that YouTube link ?
Was out all evening. Now started listening without YPAO. Will check the you tube link tomm and revert. Thank you so much for your support.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back