In search of an affordable .1

Barun7

Hi everyone, I am planning to add a subwoofer(preferably ported) to my setup mainly for watching movies. My setup(Dali Zensor 7, Vokal and Alteco) is giving good bass for music. Budget is in the region of 50k. I know this is not a very good budget for a good sub but I need to take care of the WAF(wallet approving factor)!
My room size is approximately 240 sqft. I had almost finalized BIC PL 300 and suddenly they are nowhere on sell except a few sites which are quoting inflated prices. My dealer has suggested MS450 from Mission. It's promising on paper - 15 inch woofer, prices around 50k. But, if it is good then why not many people are using it/talking about it considering Mission is a well known brand? Unfortunately, there are not enough reviews or feedback on this one. Dali E12F is sealed and does not have enough low frequency grunt for movies - it is good for music though. So not looking at E12F.
Any idea/suggestion/feedback on Mission MS450 is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
QA QB12 - using it and it is a gifted sub with the easiest hassle free installation - tested many times. It takes minimum effort to get it to sound right - to the ears.

QA QB12 - using it and it is a gifted sub with the easiest hassle free installation - tested many times. It takes minimum effort to get it to sound right - to the ears.
But doesn't QB12 bottom our @ 28 Hz? Will that be good enough for the kind of frequency needed for a good HT experience?

Hi everyone, I am planning to add a subwoofer(preferably ported) to my setup mainly for watching movies. My setup(Dali Zensor 7, Vokal and Alteco) is giving good bass for music. Budget is in the region of 50k. I know this is not a very good budget for a good sub but I need to take care of the WAF(wallet approving factor)!
My room size is approximately 240 sqft. I had almost finalized BIC PL 300 and suddenly they are nowhere on sell except a few sites which are quoting inflated prices. My dealer has suggested MS450 from Mission. It's promising on paper - 15 inch woofer, prices around 50k. But, if it is good then why not many people are using it/talking about it considering Mission is a well known brand? Unfortunately, there are not enough reviews or feedback on this one. Dali E12F is sealed and does not have enough low frequency grunt for movies - it is good for music though. So not looking at E12F.
Does that mean they will increase the price of Bic PL 300 as well?

Why not demo Mission in person at the dealers place with your favourite movies.

Sometimes what is not popular could be actually good since no one has tried it.

Dali E12F are not sealed and have a downward port. They pack a decent punch. However, There are better options at that price point. BIC PL200 ii will be a great choice within ur budget.
Alternatively, u can look for taga harmony platinum sub which is well within your budget and has great reviews and performance.

Given you room size and budget I think the mission 450 will work out wel for movies.I personally haven’t heard it but going by on paper specs it should be good for your budget.

I have used both QB12 as well as BIC PL300, infact I still have them at home.

QB12 is a superb subwoofer for music, i haven't heard nothing like it till now within 50k budget. It gels so well with speakers and the system, the subwoofer literally disappears and one can mistake the low end is coming from speakers themselves. But the feel for movies gets missed out, it doesn't produce the effects which are needed for movies. The sublte tingling bass effects are missed.

BIC PL300 is amazing subwoofer for Movies and HT. I occasionally listen to music too, but it is 10%. Coming to movies this is best subwoofer one can get under 50k. It punches, thrumps and shakes everything. Need to calibrate properly or bass can be boomy and too much. Not great as QB12 for music.
If you are still interested ping me, I will send a dealers number check if they have in stock.

Mission sub you pointed out sounds good on paper. If you can audition it do so.

Reading the specs I would think it is a bargain for around 50k for what it is, home audio sub with a 15" driver and a 400W amp.

Please do audition if possible and check if it is new or used/demo piece.

On paper it looks good for the price but please do your due dilligence and read up on it online.

Mission ms450 would be the best option in this price category.
Qb12 would be too small for your room

But doesn't QB12 bottom our @ 28 Hz? Will that be good enough for the kind of frequency needed for a good HT experience?
I think the writing is already on the wall as to which sub you'll go for but in order to clarify, it won't bottom out at 28hz. It's -6db roll off is rated at 28hz but it'll extend well below into the sub 20hz region, albeit at a lower decibel.

I think the writing is already on the wall as to which sub you'll go for but in order to clarify, it won't bottom out at 28hz. It's -6db roll off is rated at 28hz but it'll extend well below into the sub 20hz region, albeit at a lower decibel.

Sorry to say but it doesn't. I doubt it even touches 25-28hz in a room. Bass response was pretty meh in my room, specially in the lower 35hz region.

Sorry to say but it doesn't. I doubt it even touches 25-28hz in a room. Bass response was pretty meh in my room, specially in the lower 35hz region.
As a thumb rule, measure it while trying to guess bass extension in Hz. Also, Bass depth is not the same as quantity.

For instance, i have a REL T9i. It is rated at a similar cut off of -6db at 28hz. With a bit of placement and proper tuning, its -6db roll off is at 24hz in my room and 14hz at -10db. All subwoofers will roll off gradually unless its a bad design.

Also, I can have it tuned in such a manner that though its -6db point will be at 35hz, it will be perceived as deeper to the ear than when it is extending to 24hz(when setup improperly).

Last edited:
Have you measured it? As a thumb rule, one shouldn't t trust their ears while trying to guess bass extension in Hz. Also, Bass depth is not the same as quantity.

For instance, i have a REL T9i. It is rated at a similar cut off of -6db at 28hz. With a bit of placement and proper tuning, its -6db roll is at 24hz in my room and 14hz at -10db. All subwoofers will roll off gradually unless its a bad design.

Not measured it but I can, will surely check this if possible over the weekend.
Just don't want the FM to be unhappy with the purchase as he wants more oomph in movies and HT, were my 2 cents.

Not measured it but I can, will surely check this if possible over the weekend.
Just don't want the FM to be unhappy with the purchase as he wants more oomph in movies and HT, were my 2 cents.
And i agree with your suggestion vis-a-vis his requirements. I'm simply underscoring the fact that it is good to rely on measurements rather than wagering a guess when it comes to bass extension. :)

Also, use a UMIK-1 and REW to measure it so that you can check the -6db roll off in your room.

As mentioned, this isn't going to bottom out at 28 Hz. but start rolling off there. Room gain should help augment response below. I'd be more comfortable with a sub that gets closer to 20 Hz unassisted at high SPL levels for a good HT experience, but YMMV. Haven't heard about the Mission, sorry.

Why not consider DIY? You can get 2 at the price of one! This can help you to fix room issues.

Plus they are easy to do. I have done 4 so far.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back