In the Darbar of the Darbaris

amp

A couple of weeks back I was lucky to have heard the Darbaris - a pair of floorstanding speakers designed and crafted by our very own forum member, TCPIP. Let me admit upfront, these speakers look quite intimidating. Their design is unlike something you would have seen in a mass produced speaker brand. As I made myself comfortable on the couch a few feet away from them, I couldn't help think that they look like a couple of heavyweight wrestlers standing next to each other. My thoughts were of course coloured by the fact that I am used to a pair of bookshelf speakers (JBL LSR 305s) which compared to the formidable Darbaris look like they have been spent the better part of their lives on a strict diet of fruits, salad and other assorted inedible foodstuff.

For those who haven't read TCPIP's excellent blog, I would suggest that you head to dhandanought.org | tcpip And once you have had a chance to go through it, please also send out a strongly worded email to him to start writing again. He's been ignoring that blog for ages now.

It's always a bit difficult to put down to words how speakers sound. This I understand is not a constraint for the audio magazine industry which survives on the mystical art of describing sound characteristics of not only speakers but also amplifiers, DACs, cables and what not. But yours truly has no such skills. I can only say that the Darbaris sound clean. No overbearing bass or treble or any other such biases.

My sense of hearing was at its peak following an excellent glass of Bourbon which my kind host had fixed for me. We listened to Jazz,Rock, Hindi Bollywood (70s / 80s) and Western Classical. Bruce Springstreen, Mark Knopfler, Ray Brown, Jimmy Page, Miles Davis, Bob
Dylan and Bhupinder Singh kept us company for a few hours and it was soon time for me to leave.

Here is a picture of what the Darbaris look like set against the backdrop of TCPIP's extraordinary audio CD collection:

8Cez4Q.jpg

It's always a bit difficult to put down to words how speakers sound. This I understand is not a constraint for the audio magazine industry which survives on the mystical art of describing sound characteristics of not only speakers but also amplifiers, DACs, cables and what not. But yours truly has no such skills. I can only say that the Darbaris sound clean. No overbearing bass or treble or any other such biases.

A practice of mystical art indeed, you sir are well equipped in the art of simple statements! Have to give the magazines credit though for employing people with such a bend of mind to successfully create such mystics around capacitors, knobs and Kevlar cones. :)

Would like to see the speakers more, upload other pictures if you have, they do look quite imposing but fantastic. :clapping:
Wish I could hear them.

These speakers live in New Bombay. Forum members are invited and most welcome to come to my place and listen to them, check them out, discuss their design and construction with me in person. Weekdays can be arranged too, not just weekends.

Actually my site has too many photos already, I thought? [emoji2]

I had the absolute joy of reading your audio journey, it was a very pleasurable 30 odd minutes. Thank you for taking time to put it down so lucidly.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back