In the last lap - pls help reach the finish line... :))

libranhere

I've been reading up on the different posts on this site for past few days...
After reading as much as I could - I finally got down to actually chking out the TV in shops..

Demoed around 20000+ TVs today and came out cross-eyed... :lol:
Sharing details for benefit of others like me...

Panasonic 42GT20 Plasma TV
Looks to be a hot favorite on this forum
I'm not able to get the 48K deal that others on this forum seem to have got...
best offer I got is 53K, should be able to get it for 50K
Freebies = 2 glasses + logitech KBD + 3 yrs warranty
But it doesnt recognize most of the file formats from USB drive... :(
n extra glass costs 8K !!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Panasonic 50V20 Plasma TV
Getting this for 65K
Love the large screen - but unable to figure out whether the extra 8" screen space is worth another 15K
(esp given that this doesnt have 3D compared to GT20)
Freebies = logitech KBD + 3 yrs warranty

Samsung 40D5000 - LED TV
Price = 63K with (DVD player + Sansui 22" LCD TV) OR 55K w/o any freebies
Good PQ & 2011 model
If I buy LED, it might be this one...
Is 55K right for this / has anyone got better deal??? :confused:

Panasonic TH-L42E30D LED TV
Price = 61K (yet to bargain)
The PQ was quite nice and it supports more file formats than GT20 when I chked w/ my USB
If I have to buy LED I might as well buy 40D5000 - unless there is a good reason to go for this

Samsung 43D450 & 43D490 Plasma TVs
Get the D450 for 40K and D490 for 45K
Not considering these - just listing them here for benefit of anyone who wants to know the price

All you experts - pls help me select between 42GT20 / 50V20 / 40D5000...
Any points that will help me select one over the other???

FYI - viewing distance would be 9' - 10'...
TV will be placed perpendicular to balcony with french doors...

phew... one looooong post that was :eek:... pls help... :sos:

Hi,

Just note one thing. The 42" incher that looks just about right sized in the showroom will appear a large set back home.

IMO, the 42GT20D is a terrific set and for your viewing distance, should fit the bill perfectly.

USB formats are an issue, but a media player will be the way to go.

Good luck.

Very true. As pannags told, file formats shouldnt be a big concern when you buy tv. You can buy players which will play any format. My opion is to check
1. Picture quality/ how good is the panel
2. Size of the screen
3. Your budget
4. Warranty
I dont have much details on the specifics of the models you have listed. Before joining the forum, i was opionion that samsung led/lcd is the best out there but here most of the people like and talk about panasonic tv,s. So it will be well reviewed. if possible, do check out with someone who have been using samsung/panasonic lcd/led tv,s for more than a year. This will bring confidence while you decide.
Best of Luck
Antony

Panasonic 50V20 Plasma TV
Getting this for 65K
Love the large screen - but unable to figure out whether the extra 8" screen space is worth another 15K
(esp given that this doesnt have 3D compared to GT20)
Freebies = logitech KBD + 3 yrs warranty
Does this play usb formats?

Does this play usb formats?

Well! Limited formats. In my understanding, the **20 series (2010 models) support fairly limited USB formats, while the **30 series (2011 models) cover many additional formats.

Of course, Panny lies between the Sony and LG, when it comes to USB support ;). IMO, choosing a TV for USB support is like choosing a car for the internal storage; useful, yet not reason enough to be a deal breaker ;)

Well! Limited formats. In my understanding, the **20 series (2010 models) support fairly limited USB formats, while the **30 series (2011 models) cover many additional formats.

Of course, Panny lies between the Sony and LG, when it comes to USB support ;). IMO, choosing a TV for USB support is like choosing a car for the internal storage; useful, yet not reason enough to be a deal breaker ;)
:D was inquiring not to choose based on that....but for info.

Panasonic lags behind in USB support. As simple as that. They came with only SD card support till a year ago.
The Order of functionality is, Samsung > LG >> Sony > Panasonic in USB playback.

It is better to get a dedicated media player. The UI/Browzing etc are much better and they are made for the purpose.

libran can u plz gimme ur cell num wana talk bout gt20 buy v can buy two may b we wil get discount .bcs ur in banglore u can negoitiate it i m really intrstd..

Guys just to add to your dilemma the 42ST30 is available in Dilli @ 65000/- no other freebies except the wireless keyboard, 3year warranty & 3D glass only if there are any in the box.

I think there is a big difference in 42 and 50inches. Unless you have a huge space constraint ( less than 10 ft viewing distance), this should not be a problem. Even at 8 feet, it appears awesome.

I used to think 50inches will be too much (esp. as I had a 32 incher), but its strange how quickly one gets used to to it.

The V series is the flagship 2d model and is considered far superior to the GT series and I think at a 15k premium is a no-brainer.

is the Samsung 40D5000 - LED TV affected by the panel lottery?
if so which panel are you expected to get?
i'm also in search for a HDTV and had zeroed in on 32D5000 LED.but this panel lottery thing is always haunting me whenever my mind leans more towards the samsung model.

Back