In US and unable to decide: Integrated Amp. or Stereo Receiver or A/V Receiver

pinkfloyd

Hello,

I am trying to build an AV setup. The usage is going to be both movies and music. Currently, I am in US and was planning to pick-up either an AV receiver or a decent amp when I return. I trawled the forum but still have a few questions:

1) What's the difference between an integrated amplifier (say marantz pm 5003) and a stereo receiver (say marantz SR4023)? Which is a better alternative for an audio setup?

2) How good is NAD C315BEE? Unfortunately, I couldn't audition it here! And at $349 does it make sense to buy from US?

3) Does it make sense to buy an AV Receiver in US? I was eyeing Denon 1910 ($549) (120v power supply, warranty, and possible excess baggage charges seem the negatives).

4) Most of the equipment (including the above) I think comes with only 120v/60Hz power supplies. Do the voltage convertors work well or do they impact audio/video quality? Of course, higher wattage convertors are not cheap and add to the cost of the equipment!

5) Is the warranty (on marantz, nad, denon, yamaha) valid in India?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Hello,

I am trying to build an AV setup. The usage is going to be both movies and music. Currently, I am in US and was planning to pick-up either an AV receiver or a decent amp when I return. I trawled the forum but still have a few questions:

1) What's the difference between an integrated amplifier (say marantz pm 5003) and a stereo receiver (say marantz SR4023)? Which is a better alternative for an audio setup?

2) How good is NAD C315BEE? Unfortunately, I couldn't audition it here! And at $349 does it make sense to buy from US?

3) Does it make sense to buy an AV Receiver in US? I was eyeing Denon 1910 ($549) (120v power supply, warranty, and possible excess baggage charges seem the negatives).

4) Most of the equipment (including the above) I think comes with only 120v/60Hz power supplies. Do the voltage convertors work well or do they impact audio/video quality? Of course, higher wattage convertors are not cheap and add to the cost of the equipment!

5) Is the warranty (on marantz, nad, denon, yamaha) valid in India?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

1. For music the integrated will be better
2. Not sure have not heard it
3. Makes huge sense to buy in the US if you want to save money, but warranty may not be valid here. The denons weigh approx 20 lbs so not too much weight, but you have to be concerned about the bulk.
4. Step down will work quite well, you have to get the ones that can handle higher wattage - may be in the INR 3-5k range. I am using a 2kva step down cum servo stabilizer - vertex - paid about 15k and it works great and there is no deterioration of sound qulaity both in audio and video that I can detect.
5.See no.3
Cheers
Sid

How about Marantz NR1501?

Thanks for the reply Sidvee!

Now just came across Marantz NR1501. The slim profile and analog-to-HDMI upconversion and of course marantz brand are making it a tempting option.
Any views on this one? Any hifivisionaries using NR1501?
Would it be a reasonable choice for 50% movies and 50% music kind-of usage?

(Though at $600 its expensive than Denon 1910 but smaller profile might make it a tad easier for me to squeeze into my luggage!)

Lack of up-conversion (a la anchorbay vrs) seem to be a drawback. My Sony Z-series has Bravia engine 2 which I guess might compensate a little bit though!

Re: How about Marantz NR1501?

Thanks for the reply Sidvee!

Now just came across Marantz NR1501. The slim profile and analog-to-HDMI upconversion and of course marantz brand are making it a tempting option.
Any views on this one? Any hifivisionaries using NR1501?
Would it be a reasonable choice for 50% movies and 50% music kind-of usage?

(Though at $600 its expensive than Denon 1910 but smaller profile might make it a tad easier for me to squeeze into my luggage!)

Lack of up-conversion (a la anchorbay vrs) seem to be a drawback. My Sony Z-series has Bravia engine 2 which I guess might compensate a little bit though!

Are you from Mumbai?
Alfa ( Grey) was offering 1501 @ Rs 26500 --Less than US Price ( @ US$ =Rs 50) also it is 240 V ( Need to confirm ,but I am somehow shure)

So Think twice!

Hemant: I am from Delhi. ~26k is an excellent price but am a bit skeptical about the gray market. How much is NR1501 at authorized dealers, any idea? btw did you buy it finally?

Shaizada: Thanks for the info. My budget currently is hovering around $600-700 for the AV Receiver. Speakers, I don't plan to lug around from US. And if I can get a receiver which supports 120-240v /international warranty all the more better. The kind of usage I am looking at is 50% music and 50% movies.
Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

hey,
just wondering if u were able to get the 1910 to delhi.
any issues at custom clearance? any issues with power, if yes, how much extra did u end up shelling out to fix the power issues?

1. For music the integrated will be better
2. Not sure have not heard it
3. Makes huge sense to buy in the US if you want to save money, but warranty may not be valid here. The denons weigh approx 20 lbs so not too much weight, but you have to be concerned about the bulk.
4. Step down will work quite well, you have to get the ones that can handle higher wattage - may be in the INR 3-5k range. I am using a 2kva step down cum servo stabilizer - vertex - paid about 15k and it works great and there is no deterioration of sound qulaity both in audio and video that I can detect.
5.See no.3
Cheers
Sid

@Sidvee -
I just started a thread on voltage conversion for my Denon 1910 and then read your post above. Should have searched this before starting a new thread :)
I see value in investing in a step down that has higher wattage. Since I am trying to power 3 devices purchased from the US (A/V receiver, sub-woofer and BD player), would the oputput stage have 3 or more outlets?
Sorry for the dumb questions but have never worked with this before. Any suggestions for a good unit in under 10K that meets these requirements?

Thanks
(great forum btw!!)

EDIT: I just purchased a Denon 1910 and Energy RC Micro 5.1 speaker set from the US

Last edited:
You can have a peek at Pioneer's series .... 519, 819, 919, 1019 AVRs.

519 in the US is $199 ....... it is fantastic for music and great for movies, if coupled to good speakers. Many other bells and whistles in that too.

Using 519 for the last 3 months ..... very impressed with the performance, but paid close to $444 (India price equivalent ..... 20k) for it... :mad::mad:

@Sidvee -
I just started a thread on voltage conversion for my Denon 1910 and then read your post above. Should have searched this before starting a new thread :)
I see value in investing in a step down that has higher wattage. Since I am trying to power 3 devices purchased from the US (A/V receiver, sub-woofer and BD player), would the oputput stage have 3 or more outlets?
Sorry for the dumb questions but have never worked with this before. Any suggestions for a good unit in under 10K that meets these requirements?

Thanks
(great forum btw!!)

EDIT: I just purchased a Denon 1910 and Energy RC Micro 5.1 speaker set from the US

Yes you can get a step down with 3-4 outlets. The one I have has 2 outlets at 220v and 2 at 110v.
Cheers,
Sid

Yes you can get a step down with 3-4 outlets. The one I have has 2 outlets at 220v and 2 at 110v.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks. Any brand name that I should be looking for (or staying away from)? This would be in the Bangalore area but can also purchase from Delhi if needed.

Thanks. Any brand name that I should be looking for (or staying away from)? This would be in the Bangalore area but can also purchase from Delhi if needed.

In Bangalore you should consider Vertex - they will custom make a step down for you clubbed with a servo stab. You can check the other thread started by madbullram on servo stabilizers and can get the contact from there.
Cheers
Sid

Thanks again. Will check out Vertex and the thread you are talking about.

btw, nice gear you have. Rega Apollo! Good taste :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back