Incredible Results from Mystery New TV

adder

Incredible Results from Mystery New TV Technology says digitalversus or lesnumeriques.com/

They were so impressed that they took the tv apart.

From the Lab: Incredible Results from Mystery New TV Technology

One thing they say is ,its a LCD with incredible viewing angle better then all IPS based lcd.
Has very very deep blacks and further more is a local dimming LED-LCD.

From what i can see the control board has 70 LED drivers meaning it has 70 dimming zones and from the pixel structure in my view its either a SPVA or a AMVA 5th gen .

Anyone wanna guess which brand and model it is ? .Companies that use these panel techs are Samsung,Sony,Toshiba and Philips.
Since they have already tested the samsung D8000 and D7000 we can rule that out.

Last edited:
Philips with its plans to exit consumer electronics, I am not so sure. Sony and Toshiba are left in the running!

Philips with its plans to exit consumer electronics, I am not so sure. Sony and Toshiba are left in the running!

The products from the chinese deal is for 2012 and after.Even before the deal, Philips had already announced the 2012 models.

The article says "The manufacturer in question isn't known for making its own panels" . Lets wait and see.

Well then we can rule out sharp.Since they use their own panels.

Further more their high end tvs pixel structure is different and they have four sub pixel with the addition of the fourth color Yellow.

That is Sony.

Most probably 55HX920, which for the price it demands will eat dust even compared to a Panasonic GT30.

Last edited:
It could well be a HX920 or a HX820 or HX720 all have the X-reality Pro Engine .
From the picture here http://api.ning.com/files/UqTwYGzU2...gLByc881Qr4tUjNaG9WBatfq6eYOPrcs/IMG_2192.jpg you can see those two image processing chips present in the digita versus image http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/19/19073/dalle-ouverte.jpg

Some people here are judging a tv even before they have seen it.

"for the price it demands"... important caveat right there.
Sony do have a history of marking up prices compared to the plasma competition.

"for the price it demands"... important caveat right there.
Sony do have a history of marking up prices compared to the plasma competition.

Well you forget the samsung D8000,philips9706 has a similar MSRP for what they offer.
LCD prices especially the ones with LED backlight are still expensive,it will take another 2 years for it be similar in price as a plasma.Next year we may not see a CCFL lcd from first tier companies.

In places like thailand you can get a base FHD 40" lcd from sony/samusung cheaper then a 42" full HD plasma,just around a Rs1000 more then a HD ready plasma.So they are getting cheaper.

It could well be a HX920 or a HX820 or HX720 all have the X-reality Pro Engine .

HX820 and HX723,EX723 are edge lit and digital versus has already said HX820,EX723 has mediocre viewing angles, clouding effect so these two are out of the game.Never knew HX720 existed in sony.

It is the HX920 and this is just the same hype game Sony is trying some websites to play for them as they did for XBR9.

From the picture here http://api.ning.com/files/UqTwYGzU2...gLByc881Qr4tUjNaG9WBatfq6eYOPrcs/IMG_2192.jpg you can see those two image processing chips present in the digita versus image http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/19/19073/dalle-ouverte.jpg

Some people here are judging a tv even before they have seen it.

They can use whatever chips they want but unless i see details on Sony tv's HD picture like i see on some other brands Sony imaging processors are just average for me.

They need to create blind test covering up the tv brands and just show the screens after all the tv's have been properly calibrated and kept in a dark room with zero reflection, then they should see which tv that most consumers&experts find to be the best in terms of picture quality.

Last year plasma's ruled and this year it is going to be no different. One thing for sure though LCD's will beat plasma in the sales department.

Last edited:
Well you forget the samsung D8000,philips9706 has a similar MSRP for what they offer.
LCD prices especially the ones with LED backlight are still expensive,it will take another 2 years for it be similar in price as a plasma.Next year we may not see a CCFL lcd from first tier companies.

In places like thailand you can get a base FHD 40" lcd from sony/samusung cheaper then a 42" full HD plasma,just around a Rs1000 more then a HD ready plasma.So they are getting cheaper.

So? In India, a Panny G20 is cheaper, and I don't think we'll hit SE Asia prices anytime soon. Even the base FHD LCDs don't hold a candle to the plasmas they are priced against.
So Praveen's statement still stands ;)

HX820 and HX723,EX723 are edge lit and digital versus has already said HX820,EX723 has mediocre viewing angles, clouding effect so these two are out of the game.Never knew HX720 existed in sony.

It is the HX920 and this is just the same hype game Sony is trying some websites to play for them as they did for XBR9.
They have not tested any of the 2011 HX range,they have thus far the most expensive 2011 Sony lcd they tested was the EX720.
Worldwide there are various versions like HX920/925/929 etc the HX723 means that it has a USB recording where as the HX720 lacks it.

If you see a Sony lcd box you will see EX72 or EX52 written in Big letter but not the last digit.

As far as the last comment ,you are free to assume what you want,no idea about the XBR9/Z550 stuff,but it was never the flagship tv in 2009 it was still positioned and priced well below the XBR8/X450.

They can use whatever chips they want but unless i see details on Sony tv's HD picture like i see on some other brands Sony imaging processors are just average for me.

They need to create blind test covering up the tv brands and just show the screens after all the tv's have been properly calibrated and kept in a dark room with zero reflection, then they should see which tv that most consumers&experts find to be the best in terms of picture quality.

Last year plasma's ruled and this year it is going to be no different. One thing for sure though LCD's will beat plasma in the sales department.

Yes they can use any processors available in the market samsung does it sony does or did it ,panasonic does it,philips does it .Its the algorithm that matters.

If you didn't see many details in the Sony image processing well thats you.But for the most part they are pretty good.

Last year plasma did rule in the 3d segment.

This year we hear Cnet saying thus far the best 3D peformance they say was in a samsung led-lcd and they also tested the GT30 plasma.

This year lcd panel have again been improved,if you look at the EX720 review in flatpanelsHD they measured a black level of 0.03cd/m2 for a edge led tv which is a big improvement compared to last years edge led-lcd and panels used in the EX720 are not the high end ones such used in the HX9xx series or other flagship tvs from samsung.

From the same site flatpanels using the same light meter and testing methods they tested the VT30 at 0.02cd/m2 (again thats cd/m2 NOT foot lambarts) which is still better then all the non-local dimming LED lcd they have tested,the difference is not much to VA based tvs.

But thats just shows you how far the lcd tech have improved.

Even in the off-axis performance , flatpanelsHD tested the 2010 52" HX900/909 which has a UV2A panel but Sony has made some mods to enhance the contrast shift at different viewing angles compared to sharp tvs and sony own lower end tvs which also used UV2A panel improved according to flatpanelshd.

Contrast, on the other hand, is maintained from angles and this is actually the most important aspect when it comes to viewing angles on LCD-TVs in my opinion. Most LCD-TVs have fairly good black levels from the front but black tends to grey out from angles. But not on Sony HX909/HX900.Black is pitch-black from angles, which is extremely positive.

So one can expect more improvements this year with advanced in lcd panels tech,coupled with advances in LED tech from all LED makers like CREE,SSC,OSRAM etc.

So? In India, a Panny G20 is cheaper, and I don't think we'll hit SE Asia prices anytime soon. Even the base FHD LCDs don't hold a candle to the plasmas they are priced against.
So Praveen's statement still stands ;)

So you guys saw the HX920 in action and so what you also get 2" more in panny plasma and 3" more in a samsung plasma and they are cheaper then a lcd from samsung/sony.
As far as the G20 it wasn't launched in india.

Last edited:
Contrast, on the other hand, is maintained from angles and this is actually the most important aspect when it comes to viewing angles on LCD-TVs in my opinion. Most LCD-TVs have fairly good black levels from the front but black tends to grey out from angles. But not on Sony HX909/HX900. Black is pitch-black from angles, which is extremely positive.

The flatpanelsHD HX909 review on off angle black levels is in contrast to that of CNET's. CNET found the LG8500 to be better off in this regards

"The bad: Extremely expensive; exhibits more blooming than competing local dimming LED models; black areas tinged bluer; subpar off-angle viewing; 3D exhibited ghost images along edges (crosstalk)"

If this mystery tv can resolve the usual motion ,viewing angle, backlight bleeding/clouding/blooming and input lag issues associated with LCDs (without further introducing any unforeseen issues) i guess i could stop considering a plasma.

Last edited:
The flatpanelsHD HX909 review on off angle black levels is in contrast to that of CNET's. CNET found the LG8500 to be better off in this regards

"The bad: Extremely expensive; exhibits more blooming than competing local dimming LED models; black areas tinged bluer; subpar off-angle viewing; 3D exhibited ghost images along edges (crosstalk)"

If this mystery tv can resolve the usual motion ,viewing angle, backlight bleeding/clouding/blooming and input lag issues associated with LCDs (without further introducing any unforeseen issues) i guess i could stop considering a plasma.

Flatpanels HD nor did i say the viewing angle on the whole is better
I quote
"The viewing angles are above average but not perfect. I saw a decrease in color intensity and most colors also tend to get a pastel like tint from wide angles."

But they said
"Contrast, on the other hand, is maintained from angles and this is actually the most important aspect when it comes to viewing angles on LCD-TVs in my opinion. Most LCD-TVs have fairly good black levels from the front but black tends to grey out from angles. But not on Sony HX909/HX900.

Black is pitch-black from angles, which is extremely positive. The only problem is that the halos from the local dimming system increase significantly from angles"

Again contrary to cnet as far as blooming or more like banding according to flatpanelHD and digital versus and fullhdgr say they saw more banding in the the LG 8500.

Motion handling is not a problem with new generation tvs with advances in backlight scanning motion resolution is vastly increased.

In the recent test of the toshiba lcd from HDTVtest uk
The good news is that we found no reason NOT to use this 200hz system. Its coupled with another control called [Film Stabilization] and, when set to Standard, the 46WL768 boosts motion resolution without introducing false video-like motion into film content. In other words, Toshibas implementation is entirely non-destructive to the look of the material, meaning that its a set and forget 200hz system, which doesnt require the user to switch settings depending on the motion characteristics of the material being viewed. We left the system on during our review process and never found a reason to disable it, which is excellent.

backlight bleeding is not a guaranteed issue,you may or may not get that with the tv you purchase.

Finally there is no such thing as a perfect tv,everbody have their own picture quality criteria.Plasma to have various issues ,which i have raised in many debates here in this and many other forums .So if those issues are sorted out ,the plasma could be the logical choice for the majority of the people, considering its much much cheaper.

Last edited:
Yes,1 thing very very true....there is No such thing as a PERFECT tv!...it takes much effort & grey cells to understand this simple fact!!!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back