India Has The Most Affordable Mobile Data In The World, According To A Study !!!

elangoas

Article courtesy igyaan - https://www.igyaan.in/177083/india-cheapest-mobile-data/

The cost of 1GB data in the country is Rs 1.41 at its lowest
, from the above link..

Even a Rs 149/- prepaid mobile recharge plan from any service provider, offers 1 - 1.5GB of data per day and a validity of 28 ~ 30 days.. Making 45GB of data at user disposal every month.. With very stiff competition, it has the potential to offer more GB and a cumulative data accumulation of upto 200GB..

Is this a great potential for streaming services (a.k.a affordable) and a threat for movie theaters?..

People who go to movie theatres would ideally like to watch their movie if it's by streaming services on a large TV or a projector screen.
So basically their broadband connection would be used which is reasonably priced since many years

So the mobile data IMO has no impact and these reports writw how cheap it is but don't count what are the pathetic speeds we get even on 4G

Also all movies are released after certain period on streaming services. So if one wants to watch the movie early movie theatre is only option

Is this a great potential for streaming services (a.k.a affordable) and a threat for movie theaters?..

I do not think it will be a threat cause the experience in streaming is no way near watching it in a theater. Also for lot of family and couples it is a great relaxation or a weekend activity.

Movie theatre projection and sound quality is no match to any of our puny home theater in whatever proportion you can think. It is basically the content that we get at home. Streaming quality is compressed a lot and bluray is not economical (would rather go to theatre). Movies get uncompressed data of the order of 200 gigs or so for a movie, so you can imagine.

People who go to movie theatres would ideally like to watch their movie if it's by streaming services on a large TV or a projector screen.

Agreed..

So basically their broadband connection would be used which is reasonably priced since many years.

Right.. The countries largest ISP, BSNL least plan is Rs 299 offering 300 GB of data a month.. I live in a village.. There are hardly any broadband connections in my street other than me.. Am taking abt a 1km stretch road adjacent to my flat.. This scenario is similar to villages around me too.. But most of them have android mobiles with lots of data, who watch just youtube videos..

So the mobile data IMO has no impact and these reports writw how cheap it is but don't count what are the pathetic speeds we get even on 4G

Agreed 4G speeds are not consistent, at-least in the rural areas.. If we get close to 1/4th advertised speed of 4G service, then streaming is very much possible, atleast HD..

I do not think it will be a threat cause the experience in streaming is no way near watching it in a theater. Also for lot of family and couples it is a great relaxation or a weekend activity.

It is not the experience of watching a movie, but sheer convenience of watching.. All you need is a mobile + earphones..

I sometimes commute by local EMU trains, and find most ppl glued to mobile screens.. watching daily serials, video forwards and youtube videos.. People who use pubic transport are at a greater advantage of using their commuting time to relax..

Movie theatre projection and sound quality is no match to any of our puny home theater in whatever proportion you can think. It is basically the content that we get at home. Streaming quality is compressed a lot and bluray is not economical (would rather go to theatre). Movies get uncompressed data of the order of 200 gigs or so for a movie, so you can imagine.

You are referring to a uncompressed 4K video file with HD audio codecs.. The usual downloads (FHD) that we watch are pretty good ones with lossy/losless audio codecs around 5 ~ 10GB..

Mobile streaming needs 720p and 2.0 audio.. A Rs 5,000/- Android mobile has 1280 x 720 resolution and a 18:9 (or) 19:9 aspect ratio which is very close to Ultrawide screen.. So a near perfect budget experience..

Last edited:
It is not the experience of watching a movie, but sheer convenience of watching.. All you need is a mobile + earphones..

I sometimes commute by local EMU trains, and find most ppl glued to mobile screens.. watching daily serials, video forwards and youtube videos.. People who use pubic transport are at a greater advantage of using their commuting time to relax..

Well yeah during travel to pass time people used to listen to music and due to the convenience of streaming pple watch videos or music now-days but that doesn't mean the people will stop going to the cinemas. The movie business has indeed boomed compared to the previous years. Even though they don't run for many days there are lot of cinemas opened and weekends are almost full even the movies that are bad are booked during weekends since for lot of people going to cinemas is a weekend activity with family and friends. Well my case i have watched only 3 movies in the theatres for the past 3 years just cause i like my HT better then the cinemas

Well yeah during travel to pass time people used to listen to music and due to the convenience of streaming pple watch videos or music now-days but that doesn't mean the people will stop going to the cinemas.

No no.. It is not abt stopping ppl going to movie theaters.. It is abt bringing them to watch movies in their leisure time..

The movie business has indeed boomed compared to the previous years. Even though they don't run for many days there are lot of cinemas opened and weekends are almost full even the movies that are bad are booked during weekends since for lot of people going to cinemas is a weekend activity with family and friends. Well my case i have watched only 3 movies in the theatres for the past 3 years just cause i like my HT better then the cinemas

Since you are from Chennai, you must be aware of a popular movie portal that release various prints of movies on portals, the same day the movie releases in theater (or) say atleast within 10 days time..

What i mean to say is, piracy kills movie industry.. The kind of affordability for mobile data that we enjoy, would be better utilized if streaming services are even more affordable, there by the movie industry also earns their rightful share..

No no.. It is not abt stopping ppl going to movie theaters.. It is abt bringing them to watch movies in their leisure time..

Since you are from Chennai, you must be aware of a popular movie portal that release various prints of movies on portals, the same day the movie releases in theater (or) say atleast within 10 days time..

What i mean to say is, piracy kills movie industry.. The kind of affordability for mobile data that we enjoy, would be better utilized if streaming services are even more affordable, there by the movie industry also earns their rightful share..
But streaming audio quality is very poor. I can never enjoy netflix or prime.

Give the 'devil' its due for the low data rates!
Before arrival of Jio I used to pay loads of money for a few bytes of data, at 'here now, gone next instant' kind of 0.005g speeds!

Thx to the ' Motabhai' .. After Jiyo wave
India has really witnessed growth in mobile Internet.. I hope he will also do wonders with jio fiber optic broadband..

India has really witnessed growth in mobile Internet..

Yup.. very much.. From just 3 (or) 4 GB of data / month on Vodafone 3G network in 2014 to 2GB of data / day in 2018 on Vodafone 4G network is just breakneck speed..

Thx to the ' Motabhai' .. After Jiyo wave

Give the 'devil' its due for the low data rates!

Without a doubt, Jio takes the credit for pushing every other network operator to their limits.. Wish, the same happens with streaming services..

At the expense of consistency and reliability, I like things cheap just like the next guy but I am willing to spend a little more for reliable service, which unfortunately with the advent of Jio has simply evaporated from the market.
In this mad rush to provide the lowest possible tariff the biggest casualty is infrastructure and future adaptability of new technology. Couple of years back I used to be able to stream a live match on my mobile using 3G, now with all the tall claims of 4G it is almost impossible to catch the match without drops.
And India's 4G speed crawls when compared to mature markets where they deploy technologies only when the infrastructure is ready.

In this mad rush to provide the lowest possible tariff the biggest casualty is infrastructure and future adaptability of new technology. Couple of years back I used to be able to stream a live match on my mobile using 3G, now with all the tall claims of 4G it is almost impossible to catch the match without drops.
And India's 4G speed crawls when compared to mature markets where they deploy technologies only when the infrastructure is ready.
I was in a similar frustrating position with 'chor'tel. But their recent move to weed out inactive users by introducing a restriction on outgoing/incoming validity has probably had some impact - probably declogged their network a bit. Speeds are better and call drops have considerably reduced in my area.
Our country's story is always the same - first add customers/population in an area, push them to their patience limits then add a bit of infrastructure so that people think they are better off compared to earlier! This cycle will continue!

Whenever there is something "cheap", it definitely comes with a cost - qualitative or quantitative or both. At least for folks in the cities - we cannot complain much about the quality. Because of the cut throat competition, the balance sheets of these companies are bleeding. While we end up paying super cheap rates - these are causing NPAs in the banks, telecom companies are filing for bankruptcy...etc. Part of these losses are borne by equity brought in by the investors - but rest are NPA write offs or bail outs - which are indirectly from our pockets (whether from the indirect taxes that all of us pay or direct taxes some of us pay :)).

Hence its better to have a healthy telecom industry with reasonable prices rather than a bankrupt industry with artificially low prices which doesn't help anyone in the long run

Whenever there is something "cheap", it definitely comes with a cost - qualitative or quantitative or both. At least for folks in the cities - we cannot complain much about the quality. Because of the cut throat competition, the balance sheets of these companies are bleeding. While we end up paying super cheap rates - these are causing NPAs in the banks, telecom companies are filing for bankruptcy...etc. Part of these losses are borne by equity brought in by the investors - but rest are NPA write offs or bail outs - which are indirectly from our pockets (whether from the indirect taxes that all of us pay or direct taxes some of us pay :)).

Hence its better to have a healthy telecom industry with reasonable prices rather than a bankrupt industry with artificially low prices which doesn't help anyone in the long run
If only an average consumer or even above 'average' population had the sense to think this way.
'There are no free lunches'. This cheap data rate comes at a much greater cost.

An other interesting article, courtesy business today - https://www.businesstoday.in/sector...shift-to-prepaid-connection/story/275052.html

From the above article,

The TRAI data shows that the postpaid subscriber base has been gradually shrinking. For instance, the number of postpaid users stood at 50.48 million in December 2017, down by 2.23 million from a year ago. In terms of percentage of the total telecom subscribers (1149.81 million), the postpaid users were just 4.39 per cent in December 2017.

So, approx 96% of the population in India use prepaid mobile services..

Postpaid subscribers are smaller in number but they contribute significantly to the telcos' revenues. In the quarter ending December 2017, the postpaid subscribers paid, on an average, Rs 348, which is 5.19 times the average monthly recharge amount of the prepaid users (Rs 67). The postpaid users ensure a steady flow of income to telcos as against prepaid subscribers who top-up phones as per their needs.

96% of the Indian population's avg recharge amt for a prepaid user is Rs 67..

Most streaming services in the country charge as low as Rs 50/month to a high of Rs 600/month.. Some charge Rs 500 a year for movie subscription and less.. I guess, if the yearly subscription is even more attractive, then this might encourage more users for streaming..

I read it somewhere that the total debt of Mukesh's Reliance is upto 3 lakh crores! How does this sustain?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back