Indian Classics - Anand & Chupke Chupke released on Blu-ray

saketb

For all the fans of Classic films in Hindi, Anand & Chupke Chupke have been released on Blu-ray.

This release comes from Eagle Entertainment, presented in 1440x1080p (4:3 format) with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 and Dolby Digital 2.0.
The price has been kept at Rs. 799/-.

51hUXBki%2BML.jpg
51SqtQRidXL.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the news. Those are one of my "have to" list movies! But i read here in the forum that "Eagle Entertainment" products are not good enough. Is it? Can someone clarify?

The problem with Indian movies, however great and classic, is their transfer and rendering. Most movies are simply transferred by some age old telecine machine. The smudges, scratches, hiss/hum/crackles in sound, etc. are very faithfully transferred. The concept of restoration is a complete unknown alien. I could be wrong about a few, although. I have a few on DVD and I have them simply because of the intrinsic value of the movie itself and not the quality of the video/audio.

The problem with Indian movies, however great and classic, is their transfer and rendering. Most movies are simply transferred by some age old telecine machine. The smudges, scratches, hiss/hum/crackles in sound, etc. are very faithfully transferred. The concept of restoration is a complete unknown alien. I could be wrong about a few, although. I have a few on DVD and I have them simply because of the intrinsic value of the movie itself and not the quality of the video/audio.

Rightly said... I too have a few DVD's of Rishi Kapoor and Chupke Chupke also and I will say the same thing as you have said regarding the quality of transfer, its pathetic.

But for these Blu-ray's, "Maybe its good" factor lingers in the mind, and only way to find out is to take the plunge...

Rightly said... I too have a few DVD's of Rishi Kapoor and Chupke Chupke also and I will say the same thing as you have said regarding the quality of transfer, its pathetic.

But for these Blu-ray's, "Maybe its good" factor lingers in the mind, and only way to find out is to take the plunge...
Unfortunately, for companies in India making/marketing blu-ray discs, blu-ray means a medium and not the value behind blu-ray. Companies like Moser-Baer, Eagle, and others are liable to tranfer SD quality video on a blu-ray disc (media) and label it as BD. I have started seeing 3-in-1 movies BD disc labeled as "Blu-Ray".

1080p video, HD lossless sound, etc. does not mean anything. I think this has been said before on some other thread.

Are you sure that these screen shots are from the Blu-ray, as I have seen the sames ones at other websites where you have the rips and its been specified that these are at 6Mbps bitrate.
And as per actual Blu-ray's are concerned the video bitrate varies from 15-42 Mbps depending on various factors including the format used in encoding.

Nevertheless, the actual Blu-ray screenshots would be much better than the ones displayed here.

Thanks for putting up the screens here.

Last edited:
Are you sure that these screen shots are from the Blu-ray, as I have seen the sames ones at other websites where you have the rips and its been specified that these are at 6Mbps bitrate.
And as per actual Blu-ray's are concerned the video bitrate varies from 15-42 Mbps depending on various factors including the format used in encoding.

Nevertheless, the actual Blu-ray screenshots would be much better than the ones displayed here.

Thanks for putting up the screens here.

Yeah, you're right. These are from the same site.
But these screenshots give pretty much idea how the Bluray looks.
I have bought Anand Bluray already. Watched it last night and it looks quite good transfer considering it's a 40 year old movie and from the shithead company Eagle Entertainment. I wasn't expecting better than this. At least, this is far better than DVD version and lossless stereo audio (DTS-HDMA 2.0) is really good.

Yes, I have seen that too, but not purchased yet. Will place my order very soon. Noticed that they have revised the price 699/- to 799/-.
Gupt and Vidhaata were @699/-

Seems they have increased the price because of mastering :lol:

Maqbool is also released recently by Eagle.

Yeah, you're right. These are from the same site.
But these screenshots give pretty much idea how the Bluray looks.
I have bought Anand Bluray already. Watched it last night and it looks quite good transfer considering it's a 40 year old movie and from the shithead company Eagle Entertainment. I wasn't expecting better than this. At least, this is far better than DVD version and lossless stereo audio (DTS-HDMA 2.0) is really good.

Maqbool is also released recently by Eagle.

Just a warning!! Don't buy Maqbool, its transfer is just like Gupt & Vidhaata.
I wonder how could they manage to screw a 10 year old movie and got some decent results for 40 year old movie.

Check the screenshot from Maqbool.

image.png

I wonder how could they manage to screw a 10 year old movie and got some decent results for 40 year old movie.

image.png

No worries there. Even if the transfer was brilliant...

image.png

Thanks! What are those horizontal lines on the top (seems it is in movie)? By the way why Eagle is spending (wasting) time and money to release pathetic transfers of good movies like "Gupt" and "Vidhata" (Maqbool is not too bad movie)?

Today I have received "How West Was Won" (1962) 2 Blu Ray edition, and it is awesome transfer. No one can tell it is 1962 movie, transferred like 2013 movie :) Really a great job!

Purchased "Anand" and "Chupke Chupke" BDs today, no regret with the purchase. Satisfactory AV quality as per movie age. Hope for more good titles on Blu-Ray.

I believe the prints have been restored (correct me if I'm wrong)

Can someone please post the running times as on the Blu ray disc?:D

I have all these Blu-rays and the cover says
Anand : 117 min
Chupke Chupke : 139 min
Golmaal : 144 min
Bawarchi : 125 min

^ Thanks dude!

I hope the blu-rays are PAL progressive (not sure if it applies to Blu Rays as well) and not interlaced (Film to PAL to NTSC or Film to NTSC to PAL)

Can anyone comment?

BTW, just for interest, all the above movies were authorized by Digital Entertainment inc. (DEI) aka Bollywood Entertainment (BE or BEI) which have excellently transferred those movies on DVD. They all were transferred from a NTSC telecine without any 4% speedup and pitch destruction.

For excellent colors, brightness and contrast, you may prefer that. But for a restored print, you may prefer the Eagle blu ray.

Can anyone comment on the Eagle and Shemaroo DVD.

Eagle's were not good but Shemaroo were satisfactory. I have its ripped version too but not sure about the source, they are really awesome and seems VERY superior than those DVDs but slightly inferior than Blu-ray.

Back