Indian magazines, eZines and blogs dedicated to music

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

Hi guys,

Periodicals have played a big role in showcasing new talent, giving insights into established musicians, inculcating appreciation of music and overall in building the music listening habit. With the Internet, blogs got added to it. And now, YouTube channels too.

Can we use this thread to list some of these periodicals (offline and/or online), blogs and channels that we have viewed/read in the past and liked? Please do not list artist websites. This can become a repository for all current and future members and readers of hifivision in their pursuit of music listening.

But post only Indian magazines/portals/blogs/channels. They could be dedicated to international music or Indian music (any genre), but should be run by Indians, from India. No, not for nationalistic reasons, but to keep it selective - we don’t want to get into the ocean of content available internationally. Please add a small description about (or your own experience with) the resource? That’d make it further interesting and useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I start with a recent discovery: Ragarock. It’s an online magazine dedicated to Indian and claims to be since 1998! That surely would be an achievement for any online portal. It has a monthly magazine as well as blog format and is full of videos, interviews, gigs, reviews and editorials. It covers wide range of music, though with a slant on younger performers.

8880E4D4-859C-499B-978B-586800D3B533.jpeg

D7187AB9-0545-452C-AA48-5A9A541E667E.jpeg

6B34F498-7D6B-40B6-A288-6B54EAAABCC0.jpeg

Hi guys,

Periodicals have played a big role in showcasing new talent, giving insights into established musicians, inculcating appreciation of music and overall in building the music listening habit. With the Internet, blogs got added to it. And now, YouTube channels too.

Can we use this thread to list some of these periodicals (offline and/or online), blogs and channels that we have viewed/read in the past and liked? Please do not list artist websites. This can become a repository for all current and future members and readers of hifivision in their pursuit of music listening.

But post only Indian magazines/blogs/channels. They could be dedicated to international music or Indian music (any genre), but should be run by Indians, from India. No, not for nationalistic reasons, but to keep it selective - we don’t want to get into the ocean of content available internationally.

this is great. I have one resource for vintage Indian Bollywood that I was thinking of sharing for long. But it’s a film magazine, its not just a music magazine.

for any one interested in vintage Bollywood Filmindia was a very popular magazine of 40s 50s. Mr. babu Rao Patel the editor was sharp and eccentric at times. He could make or break stars easily with his writings, the magazine was in circulation till 1961 but unfortunately below resource contains the issues till 1949 only. If you go though these magazines you will realise what India was at that time. You will also find ads of nowvintage audio equipment Which are a treat to see especially prices. Also the writings at that time shows indian society was more free and tolerant that time. Baburao Patel spared no one, not even his readers. its interesting to see the letters section. If anyone has these magazines after 1949 pls do share. This is a piece of history any Bollywood fan must see.

the site has trillions of other historical archives as well. You may want to search for anything Including music.

Last edited:
Sruti

Sruti is a south-based magazine and portal published from Chennai. The magazine is running from 1983 and is dedicated to both music and dance. The focus is on Carnatic music though there’s occasional coverage on Hindustani performers as well. I used to read it till last year when it stopped being part of the Magzter Gold online subscription.

3ABBD8A3-CE8B-4907-A107-D4F086E87EC8.jpeg

28D34519-6615-43E1-BB5C-C7A424AFB797.jpeg

For current Indian music scene, score is also there

“The driving mantra at Score Media Pvt Ltd is that Swadeshi music must have a Swadeshi support ecosystem. With The Score Magazine, we set out to create the first indigenous music print-media brand and chronicle every aspect and every form of music created in India with pride but without prejudice”

CE3B93E4-F173-4221-9A9B-BDC759ADE650.jpeg

Last edited:
this is great. I have one resource for vintage Indian Bollywood that I was thinking of sharing for long. But it’s a film magazine, its not just a music magazine.

for any one interested in vintage Bollywood Filmindia was a very popular magazine of 40s 50s. Mr. babu Rao Patel the editor was sharp and eccentric at times. He could make or break stars easily with his writings, the magazine was in circulation till 1961 but unfortunately below resource contains the issues till 1949 only. If you go though these magazines you will realise what India was at that time. You will also find ads of nowvintage audio equipment Which are a treat to see especially prices. Also the writings at that time shows indian society was more free and tolerable that time. Baburao Patel spared no one, not even his readers. its interesting to see the letters section. If anyone has these magazines after 1949 pls do share. This is a piece of history any Bollywood fan must see.

the site has trillions of other historical archives as well. You may want to search for anything Including music.

Excellent find! archive.org is a treasure that is so under-promoted and less-known. Recently I pointed it out to a retired aunt who is interested in anthropology (though not her profession). She was ecstatic to find the material she found there!

I myself found some excellent older books on films and arts in the Indian context. I am currently reading this one that I downloaded from archive.org into Kindle:

For current Indian music scene, score is also there

Can you add a small description (or your own experience) about the resource? That’d make it further interesting and useful.

Excellent find! archive.org is a treasure that is so under-promoted and less-known. Recently I pointed it out to a retired aunt who is interested in anthropology (though not her profession). She was ecstatic to find the material she found there!

I myself found some excellent older books on films and arts in the Indian context. I am currently reading this one that I downloaded from archive.org into Kindle:

yes it is a treasure of archives and books, best thing to happen on internet. its like a forest of libraries.

Hindustani classical channel.
The free version plays music continously according to the time of the day. Well known artistes.
The paid version offers customisation and more.

Excellent additions! Thanks.

Hindustani classical channel.
The free version plays music continously according to the time of the day. Well known artistes.
The paid version offers customisation and more.

Thanks, but can we keep this thread exclusive for magazines, portals and blogs? If we add content providers/streaming sites, it could lose its focus.

Thanks, but can we keep this thread exclusive for magazines, portals and blogs? If we add content providers/streaming sites, it could lose its focus.
Sorry, I took portal as meaning website.
Do elaborate what exactly you mean when you say portal. You mean it should have reviews, write-ups. That kind of thing?

Sorry, I took portal as meaning website.
Do elaborate what exactly you mean when you say portal. You mean it should have reviews, write-ups. That kind of thing?

Yes, I meant that. ‘Magazine/eZines’ captures it best. Could you (as mod) please change the title of the thread to: ”Indian magazines, eZines and blogs dedicated to music” please? Even channels can be confusing.

Rolling Stone India

The Indian edition of the international music magazine. So it’s debatable whether to call it an Indian magazine - but guess we can as the editors are all Indian and the office is in Mumbai, India. It‘s content is divided between Indian and international artists, but it has some quality reporting on Indian musicians and music scene.

The magazine’s online edition is part of Magzter Gold subscription.

A779E915-4EF3-421A-98C1-B2F7E812503D.jpeg

1587284744905.png

1587284839104.png
I discovered this magazine at my local library reading room and I am now a regular reader. Based in New Delhi, they cover fresh artists as well as the veterans in music, film, literature, art and photography and provides them a platform to share details on their current projects and build their reputation. The presentation is minimalist, elegant and articles, well written

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back