Indian Movies on Blu-ray

I bought Silsila BD for Rs. 599/- and am totally disappointed with the quality. Its presented in 4:3 format and looks around 29" on the big screen LCD and around 21" on the medium size LCD.
I totally agree with your view, the quality of the Silisila BD is absolutely the pits and is a total rip off at any price. But as far as the 4:3 aspect ratio is concerned, that is not a problem, because the original film is shot on 35mm film with a Flat lens. Which by default, has an aspect ratio of 4:3. As a matter of fact, almost 'all' Bollywood films ever made, that are not shot in 'cinemascope', have an original aspect ratio of 4:3. Therefore the 4:3 aspect ratio on the BD is exactly the way it was screened in theaters and that is the only correct way of presenting this film and any other way would be totally unacceptable.

Audio is supposed to be DTS HD MA, but sounds nothing better than the Rs. 99 DVD they released earlier. Its a total fraud. on the consumer.

One is better off listening to the songs on a CD since the rich stereo recording was far better (I bought this disc only for the songs).
That is because the original film soundtrack is in mono unlike the songs, which were recorded and released originally in stereo.

Link to my review & comments on all Yash Raj BDs released so far: --> My ratings for all 'Yash Raj' BDs.

Last edited:
I just rented and watched the Saawariya BD yesterday. the transfer is spectacular!

I really won't comment on the movie storyline (i had not watched it before).. special mention must go to the Director of Photography. Ravi Chandran; IMHO the lighting, the photography is a sheer work of art. while I only got the "core" part of the trueHD sound track; it was spectacular (though the LFE did feel a little overcooked at times!) kudos to the sound designer Resul pookutty.

my view.. the super transfer would be worth zero without the spectacular source material.

again, without getting into the personal opinions about the actual narrative (though in all fairness it's not at all as bad as what I've read in the press).. this is a must watch, if only for the visual and aural extravaganza it gives on a 110" screen. IMHO it's for BD like a deutsche grammophon is (Was?) for LPs / CDs

slightly off-topic, after watching slumdog millionaire on tatasky showcase, i was sufficiently underwhelmed by the experience, but after hearing Resul's work on Saawariya, it's now on my must watch list.

cheers

my views about the indian movies on blu-ray (i have not watched much though may be about 5 indian blues )
but will conclude (may be with a rare exception)

ITS NOTHING BUT A REPACKING GIMMICK :mad: better to keep away for the time being unless they do improve the BD transfer

Last edited:
I purchased Kabhi Kabhi and Rock On on Blu-ray.

Kabhi Kabhi
  • The video is better than the DVD. They did capture it again from film. It is not an upscaled DVD. Not great, but acceptable quality.
  • The video format is 4:3, which is fine as the original movie was in that format. I would not want them to crop the top and bottom to make it 16:9. I have big enough display screens not to bother me. People who want, can zoom in for themselves, instead of we loosing out a part of the picture for ever.
  • The audio was a bit disappointing. We have DTS-HD Master Audio, so it is audibly less compressed and less fatiguing than the DVD, but it does not sound as crisp and clear as the LPs and cassette tapes (yes!) issued when the movie was released. Even the HMV CDs issued later sound pretty dull, so this Blu-ray still has the best digital version of the audio.

Rock On
  • The video on the Rock On disc is widescreen 1080P. It is as crisp as Blu-ray discs come (I have 25+ in English mostly, bought from US). The colors are over saturated. We know that most of the movie has been shot indoors with a strong warm hue, so that remains here too. Good enough, but not great.
  • The audio is a pleasant surprise. We have DT-HD MA as well as uncompressed multi-channel PCM. On this disk, I seemed to prefer the latter, but the difference is subtle. The audio is crisp, clear and unfatiguing. I found both the DVD and the audio CD for this movie to be very brittle and highly fatiguing. The Blu-ray sounds nice and effortless. The cymbals and bells sound realistic and sweet, especially in the last song on stage. Much better than what I expected from Reliance.

I buy Blu-ray discs at the Landmark in Bangalore. I am enjoying the fact that Blu-ray discs have finally come out of the small glass covered closet to the open shelf. We have one shelf full of English movies, and another one for Hindi Blu-ray discs and YRF DVDs dressed up in red colored Blu-ray boxes. Read before you buy.

Have fun.

Regards,
Sharad

HI Sharad,

Do you know where I can rent the BD movies in Bangalore . I heard Mothays Jayanagar has it but its too far for me. Anywhere in Koramangala or Indira nagar ? I have a Region C player .

Naveen

I also like Indian movies like sawariya you have above mentioned . Other Indian movies has also done some great business.

Indian Movie Wishlist

Below is a list of Indian Movies I want to own on Blu Ray. The format is catching up in India now and hope to see many titles released soon.

Roja
Bombay
Dil Se
Sholay
Agneepath
Andaz Apna Apna
Khaakee
Earth
Sarfarosh
Devdas

Whats ur wish list?

For all of those who want to purchase blu ray of hindi movies and english go to the following website

Pop Window
These people reportedly have a long history of unscrupulous methods of doing business. Although I do not have any personal experience doing business, but have read about and have personally seen the rather unscupulous methods they use to promote their business. By the way, this company also promotes their business by posting on various forums, at times withotu even diosclosing that they are a commercial interests. In fact thet even have a busines deal with blu-ray.com, which is why they control and run the India section of the forum. If anyone says anything negative about them, the person is immediately banned and the posts deleted.

These people reportedly have a long history of unscrupulous methods of doing business. Although I do not have any personal experience doing business, but have read about and have personally seen the rather unscupulous methods they use to promote their business. By the way, this company also promotes their business by posting on various forums, at times withotu even diosclosing that they are a commercial interests. In fact thet even have a busines deal with blu-ray.com, which is why they control and run the India section of the forum. If anyone says anything negative about them, the person is immediately banned and the posts deleted.

Can you elaborate on this? I was thinking of ordering from them.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back