Indian Pop/Rock/Jazz/Funk/Disco/Experimental Music

mittal

Hello, new member here. I am starting this thread because I love to discover Indian music, specifically the music which has been long over looked and never got the recognition it deserves.

I run a radio show called 'The Home And The World' on New Delhi based online radio boxout.fm where I showcase music from the lesser known Indian archives. The episodes can be heard at - https://www.mixcloud.com/nishantmittal/playlists/india

I am starting this thread to find like-minded people who enjoy and appreciate the same stuff. Please feel free to add your suggestions or favourites in this thread, happy listening.

To begin the thread, I am posting a couple of my current favourites -

1) An ambient/synth-wave/downtempo song by Remo (1987)

2) A indie rock song by Cavaliers, a Bombay based band (1967)

3) Sitar cover of Light My Fire by Ananda Shankar (1970)

4) Hariprasad Chaurasia's experiment with synths and drum machine. At around the 10:00 mark the drum machine kicks in. A wonderful experiment. The synth, drum machine and Chaurasia'a flute combine to make this such an amazing piece of sound art. (1985)

5) One of the million funky tunes composed by Illaiyaraaja, I am listening this one a lot these days. (1980)

Last edited:
Thanks for starting the thread, Nishant :)

My favorite would be L Subramaniam's musical compositions for Mira Nair's "Salaam Bombay". Very sad and beautiful, which brings out the essence of the movie in itself

A R Rahman recently did a short web series called "Harmony" which aired on Prime video. The series was unique in which he traveled across the country interviewing artistes, some unknown, listening to their stories & struggles and each show culminates with a jam session with ARR. I'll include 2 sessions here from the show, which had a total of 4 independent ones.

1. With Kalamandalam Sajith Vijayan a practitioner of the traditional temple drum instrument from Kerala called "Mizhavu" in "Wakeup Jungle".

2. With flautist Mickma Tshering Lepcha from Sikkim in "Rainmaker"

3. Title track

Other artistes include Rudraveena exponent Ustad Mohi Bahauddin Dagar (Bombay) and folk singer Laurembam Bedabati (Manipur). IMO, an excellent initiative in bringing together musical talent and having a conversation on the musical nuances and traditions which even a lay person can understand and relate to.

For a nation obsessed with over-produced Bollywood party numbers, an alternative music movement will not be welcomed with open arms, as people tend to criticize what they do not understand.
But as long as good music is being made by authentic artists, a dominant indie music scene in India will gather numbers, and will change how people from here and everywhere perceive Indian music.

For a nation obsessed with over-produced Bollywood party numbers, an alternative music movement will not be welcomed with open arms, as people tend to criticize what they do not understand.
But as long as good music is being made by authentic artists, a dominant indie music scene in India will gather numbers, and will change how people from here and everywhere perceive Indian music.

The Charanjit Singh record 10 Ragas is really something else. Mind-blowing stuff. Would love to find and own the original pressing some day.

This is the most underrated and not popular enough classic from Ilayaraja. It deserves more.

This is the most underrated and not popular enough classic from Ilayaraja. It deserves more.

Great track, I found this Ilaiyaraaja EP today, the track "Naa Paruvam" is soooo funky! I don't understand any words in his songs, but the music and the groove is just out of this world in his compositions.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-16 at 11.05.50 AM.jpeg

Hi
What is your alias in boxout.fm? I have been listening to Jamblu regularly.
And since we are talking about boxout.fm, how can we not mention Sahej Bakshi's Dualist Inquiry track 'You & Me' :). It has such a feel good vibe to it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back