Indulged in a New Tape Deck

Hari Iyer

Those who know me personally, will know by now that I am more of a Tape Deck fan than a Vinyl fan. The reasons i dont prefer using vinyls are as below,

1. Maintenance is tough, due to dust, scratch and satic attraction. You need to keep the vinyls always in prestine condition to keep it sounding new and preiodically clean them else there will be clicks, pops and scratches.

2. My vinyl collection is not great may have around 60 odd records from various genere like classical, bollywood, discos, Pop etc. More over purchasing a new vinyl record is not very cheap. Even for 7 to 10 songs you may need to shell out anywhere between 300 to 800 bucks minimum. This will refrain me from increasing my collection to a decent amount. My usage of vinyl currently is restricted to testing any new speakers that i may built or ocassional personal listening.

3. I was lucky enough to get a good Technics SL-23 from FM mpw though a little servicing was required, but got freebies like ortofon cartridge and spikes for the money paid. Thanks mpw.

Given the above situation with vinyl sound, the only option for me to enjoy analogue music was using a tape deck. I do have the Nakamachin Bx-100E which again i listen ocassionally. The Nak model that i have is purely an entry level tape deck and nothing fancy to speak about. It does have Dolby B and also plays metal and chrome tapes and also records well.

But to enjoy tape sound to the fullest, you still will require a more dynamic player with Dolby B, C and probably Hx-PRO to begin with. So i settled with the Aiwa AD-F660 as it was the best VFM deal vis-a-vis features, convinence and possible better SQ than the Naks.

I have a couple of blank metal and type-I tapes on which i plan to record audiophile music from youtube. This will allow me to play analgoue sound (though the recording would have been from a digital source) and i can make my own collection on the tapes and need not scroll everytime i select you tube. The Aiwa's are know to be best recording device too.

I ordered this model last week and the consignment is in transit and i believe it would take another 10 to 12 days to arrive.

Those who are curious to know more about my model selected, here is a link to its review Aiwa AD-F660 Cassette Deck Review price specs - Hi-Fi Classic

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

I disagree with the conversion part, keeping it in native format is always better, whether it is digital or analog. In this digital age why should one need to convert digital files for storage? You can download and save youtube files with various downloader and play straight whenever you want with more convenience. No hard feeling please, but I believe it is complete waste of time, if sound quality is the top priority. Less or more, conversion is most of the time compromised.

Last edited:
if possible and permissible, please share some details on the acquisition part. There are lots of us tape heads out there who are looking to explore the deck world, outside of NAK :)

Congratulations on a brilliant acquisition. The Aiwa cassette decks are very fine machines, particularly the ADF Series. You also have the advantage of Dolby HX Pro on the higher end models, including yours.

Wishing you many, many years of unalloyed listening and recording pleasure.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Last edited:
Congratulations Hari sir on the fabulous acquisition. Please do let us know your listening experience with your newly acquired deck.

Yet to receive the consignment which is held in custom department. Not sure how long it will take for clearance. Also its been shipped via EMS and they take their own sweet time to deliver, though my experience with them has not been too bad.

Also i will be travelling on office assignments and will be able to post review only next month.

if possible and permissible, please share some details on the acquisition part. There are lots of us tape heads out there who are looking to explore the deck world, outside of NAK :)

Just search in ebay and there are many options there including NAK Dragon which is supposed to be the king of all tape decks. But it was way way beyond my budget to acquire it.

Where was the seller located? How much did you pay for shipping? These Aiwa decks are quite light compared to the classic Naks, luckily. Helps lower shipping costs. :)

Where was the seller located? How much did you pay for shipping? These Aiwa decks are quite light compared to the classic Naks, luckily. Helps lower shipping costs. :)

$180 for the Aiwa and $100 for shipping via EMS. Item location is Italy. It mentioned fully serviced, new belts, new pinch rollers. Fully tested ok. Seller has 100% positive feedback.

Don't know yet what custom duty i will need to pay.

Customs will probably be about ?10-12k.

Excellent deal, good price. I got mine from a similar seller in the UK, who himself services these things. I found him on eBay UK and paid 125, IIRC.

Bit tempted to get one as the nakamichi? deck2 went kaput. But I feel tapes has very less low frequency compared with records. Is it common or am I just facing this problem?

Bit tempted to get one as the nakamichi? deck2 went kaput. But I feel tapes has very less low frequency compared with records. Is it common or am I just facing this problem?

In my Naks BX-100E the low freq is more than my CD / DAC on most tracks. Looks like your tape head azimuth needs to be aligned.

Not yet, its still lying in customs (Mumbai) as per the tracking status. There has been no status update since 30th April after the consignment arrived in Mumbai Custom. Repeated follow up with speed post - EMS is of no help. Only GOD can help me now as i am too busy for direct follow-up.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back