Infinity Kappa 6.1 sreies 2

thaitime

Hello everyone

I am new to this site and but very happy I found it, I just purchased a pair of Infinity 6.1 series 2 speakers and I am going to refoam these as I see some deterioration on the 8 inch woofers, what I need help with is I noticed one of the Emit-r tweeters was not working so I switched it to the other speaker to find out it does work, my question is what could be my problem would it be the crossover or something else in the one speaker? I am new at all this but I am willing to learn because I love good sounding speakers and have always wanted another pair of Infiniy since my last pair.

thanks in advance
thaitime

hi there!
I have a pair of Kappas 6.1 as well... they're excellent speakers! and in fact mine had the same problem, in that I had to replace the foam on both woofers since they had totally deteriorated. But I managed to replace the foams with rubber surrounds. Initially I thought it would change the sound of the bass but so far the difference is negligible. I also had to replace the midranges since the diaphragms were torn. However the tweeters are in excellent condition so I've stuck with them.
Anyway, in your case, what I suggest you do is remove the tweeter and connect it directly to your amplifier set to a minimal volume just to check if the tweeter is still working. There is an overload protection circuitry in the Kappas that prevents excessive power being sent to the tweeters so chances are they should work.
Once you've established that the tweeter is working, you could get a multimeter and test if the individual components in the circuitry are still functioning. What you could do is remove both crossover plates from the speakers and check component values individually in the tweeter line. If there is any disparity, then there will be some problem in the high frequency line (tweeter line components). pinpointing which one it could be, may be a bit difficult without removing the individual components. but most often the problem areas are capacitors which need replacing since they dry out. so check it out. and finally check the continuity in the wiring between the circuit board and input terminals and finally the speaker leads.
all the best! keep me posted.
PS: where are you from??

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back