information overload - need help

vellamatic

Hi all,

I have been using my TV inbuilt speakers for too long and have now decided to take the plunge and buy a proper hi-fi system. I started reading about DAC, tube preamps, amplifiers, active & passive speakers ... it's all very interesting but a tad overwhelming. So I decided to post here and ask for some help from people who are better informed and experienced about this.

My setup is as follows: I have a Samsung TV with a digital output which I use as a DLNA client to play music and films streamed from my NAS (no audio is to come out directly of my NAS). I also have a Playstation 3.

I need an audio solution that takes audio from the digital output of my TV (and possibly my PS3, unless audio from the PS3 also runs via the digital output of my TV) and outputs it into a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Here are some (hard and inflexible) requirements:

- I use my system to listen to music (all kinds from rock to jazz to classical to electronic), video games and films (in order of importance). 99% of the music I listen to is digital (i.e. MP3).

- I don't have space for a 5.1 or 7.1 system. I only want a good old 2 speaker stereo system.

- I don't have space for floor standing speakers so that solution is out.

- I don't have space for a sub-woofer so the bookshelf speakers will need to handle the bass end by themselves.

- The bookshelves will be hidden in the TV unit cabinets covered by speaker cloth at the front. I am custom-building the TV unit so I can probably pad the cabinets that will host the speakers for improved sound quality.

- My budget is 700 EUR but I might be able to spend slightly (and I do mean *slightly*) more than that if it's worth it.

- I don't care if I use separate DAC, amp and speakers, amp and speakers or just active speakers. What I care about is the resultant audio-quality.

- The audio system will be placed in an open-plan lounge-dining-kitchen area.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks guys!!!

Alan.

Look at the Amphion Helium 410 BS Speakers Seriously. Its not fussy to amplify either so even an old amp/ new entry level amp from marantz etc will do the business well.
Your PS3 DAC should be decent enough for the moment.

Helium 410 | Amphion

Hi Alan,

You have three choices.

(1) Buy a set of really good speakers with digital input.
(2) Buy a PowerDAC and hook two bookshelves to it.
(3) Buy a DAC such as ODAC/HRT Streamer, a receiver such as Marantz CR603 and hook it to two bookshelves.

Hope that helps.

We need to first zero on the solution and then on specific models. From your requirement it is clear that you have multiple digital sources to feed. I do not know if you TV output is optical or coaxial nevertheless your PS3 does have opticala out as well as analogue out (TV also has this).

So if you are fine with using the built in DAc of PS and TV then you can go ahead with any good stereo amp (integrated ones that do not require a separate pre-amp) and a pair of bookshelf.

If however you do not want to use the DAC of you TV or PS3 then you may need some other device to handle all these plethora of digital inputs like an AVR. By the way marantz has several good Network Music players with builgt in amp and DAC.

First option is better in my opinion in terms of audio quality and future upgradability with a standalone DAC. While second one will give you a lot of options to start with. But since you are not interested in 5.1 setup in my opinion second option will be waste of money.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

We need to first zero on the solution and then on specific models. From your requirement it is clear that you have multiple digital sources to feed. I do not know if you TV output is optical or coaxial nevertheless your PS3 does have opticala out as well as analogue out (TV also has this).

My TV doesn't seem to have an analogue audio out (UA46D5000PM - TECH SPECS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG). It only has a headphone output and I read that it is not a good idea to use this as it tends to be noisy. So I'm left with a digital out.

This means that I will need a DAC (as a separate unit or part of the amplifier). Unless I'm missing something.

Look at the Amphion Helium 410 BS Speakers Seriously. Its not fussy to amplify either so even an old amp/ new entry level amp from marantz etc will do the business well.
Helium 410 | Amphion

After some reading it seems that these speakers struggle a bit with low bass frequencies. Is this the case? I want to avoid having a separate sub-woofer.

My TV doesn't seem to have an analog output (UA46D5000PM - TECH SPECS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG) so it seems like I do need a DAC.

Should I go for a DAC+amplifier combo unit? Is a tube amplifier warranted since I'll be listening to a lot of music in digital format?

Reading about the Amphion Helium 410 BS speakers ... it seems like they have some issues in dealing with low bass frequencies. Is this the case? I can't have a separate sub-woofer.

Thanks all for your replies!

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

My TV doesn't seem to have an analogue audio out (UA46D5000PM - TECH SPECS | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG). It only has a headphone output and I read that it is not a good idea to use this as it tends to be noisy. So I'm left with a digital out.

This means that I will need a DAC (as a separate unit or part of the amplifier). Unless I'm missing something.

After some reading it seems that these speakers struggle a bit with low bass frequencies. Is this the case? I want to avoid having a separate sub-woofer.

Your PS3 DAC should suffice to start with.
As for the Helium 410's, can you go & listen to them??? Based on your audition you should get a good idea whether they fulfill your bass needs or not.

BTW your budget of 700 euro is for speakers alone or amp/speakers/DAC??? :confused:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back