Insurance for TV

madbullram

Folks,
I see a lot of us are buying expensive TVs and sometimes with model going out of production or limited or non available extended warranty, we are at the mercy of the manufacturer who gives low buy backs or expensive repair cost or worst total loss if it cant be repaired. I have seen my friends suffering such issues with even TVs bought for 2 lakhs and above.

It got me thinking and I was scouting for an insurance to take care of this. I came across Bajaj Allianz "Householder Package Policy". The best part of this policy is that it covers both Domestic Appliance and Electronics Equipment mechanical and electrical failures, apart from regular flood, fire etc.

The only catch seems to be we have bear the first time cost upto 10% or 500rs whichever is higher (like car insurance). The depreciation for total loss is also good with 10% every year and 50% max.

Unlike National Insurance there is no cap (National insurance caps at 25k which is very small)

Here is the overview:
Home Insurance India | House Insurance | Bajaj Allianz Home Insurance

Here is the policy details:
http://www.bajajallianz.com/Corp/content/house&shop/householder_brochure.PDF

Here are the wordings:
Electronic Items:
You can insure your Computer, TV and VCR against all risks of sudden physical loss. + +Losses, which can be repaired, will be settled by paying the repair cost without applying any depreciation (except for parts with limited life). For total losses, depreciation at the rate of 10% per year from date of manufacture up to a maximum of 50% will applied depending on the age of item +Third party liability arising out of use of TV is also covered under this
section +Items more than 10 years old will not be insured
Note: List of items & their values to be covered are to be provided.

Main Exclusions:
+Loss or damage for which manufacturer or supplier is responsible
+Loss or damage caused due to wear and tear, gradual deterioration, climatic conditions, rust, corrosion and insects
+Costs incurred in connection with functional failures
+Loss or damage caused by willful acts or willful gross negligence of the insured or nsured's family
+The Insured shall bear the first 10% or Rs. 2,500/- (Whichever is higher) for claim concerning computers and the first 10% or Rs. 500/- (Whichever is higher) for claim concerning any other item of Electronic

Equipment +Terrorism Cover Extension can be availed by paying extra premium against terrorist damages

Anyone else has any experience or similar product that can be recommended?

For Bajaj the following are exclusions for electronic equipment

Exclusions:

Manufacturing defect
Damage resulting due to wear and tear, gradual deterioration, climatic conditions, rust, corrosion and insects
Costs incurred in connection with functional failures due to willful act or gross negligence of the insured

So damage due to lightening will fall under climatic conditions and is excluded

Also unless the insurgence company expressly states that electrical spikes / fluctuations / burn outs are covered I will not be confident that they will settle the claim in such a case

How much does it cost for a 47 incher ? .. Can it act in place of a 2 year extended warranty ? I understand theres a difference between a warranty and insurance .. But there's also a similarity ;-)

I agree with Jagadish. Lighting and spikes is a big exclusion. If some children throw anything and tv gets damaged then only this will be useful.

I have used this some 4 years back. My A/C circuit failed within 3 years and they did bear 95% of the cost. Service costs are covered. For example, a panel goes kaput in 3 years it will be covered. But like they anything, insurance companies can never be trusted.

Windy: Extended warranties are always better. This should be considered only after extended warranty

I agree, first option to go for max extended warranty, 4 years for Samsung and 3 for Panasonic, post that one can go for this.

Dushie: Are you sure, when I checked with Samsung they said its 1 yr default and 2 years extended which makes total of 3 yrs warranty. Not 1+ 3.

Update: Got a call from Bajaj. For my friends Panasonic worth 2.5 lakhs, they said maximum coverage is 2 lakhs and premium is 1058 rs. It includes breakdown coverage due to mechanical or electrical nature. Seems too good to be true. Have asked them to send the wordings.

Update: Got a call from Bajaj. For my friends Panasonic worth 2.5 lakhs, they said maximum coverage is 2 lakhs and premium is 1058 rs. It includes breakdown coverage due to mechanical or electrical nature. Seems too good to be true. Have asked them to send the wordings.

How about user damage, is that covered too, kids can throw stuff at the screen and damage the same.

Dushie: Are you sure, when I checked with Samsung they said its 1 yr default and 2 years extended which makes total of 3 yrs warranty. Not 1+ 3.

Update: Called personally and got the extended warranty information from Samsung.

Well after digging and calling and talking to various folks in Samsung and the extended warranty team below are the findings : -

1. Maximum warranty one can go for is 1 + 3 = 4 Years Total
2. Charges for 1 year extension Rs 5000 + vat & service tax
3. Charges for 2 year extension Rs 8400 + vat & service tax
4. Charges for 3 year extension Rs 12,600 + vat & service tax

Whats covered : All electrical parts, panel, pcb, smps etc

Not covered stand , wall mount, front and rear cover, wireless charger and dongle cables , user damage, misuse etc.

Post getting all this i asked the question i was looking an answer for ? What happens if under extended warranty tv goes faulty and part is not available. Spoke to lot of people yet no one was able to answer the same.

Finally i spoke to Srinivasan from ITEL services who manages the extended warranty. He went through the entire extended warranty document reading the terms and condition. Reading every clause one by one. Finally somewhere near the end he reads :

In case Samsung is unable to repair the TV and fix the faulty part. The refund would be issued to customer based on the depreciation rate prevalent at that time.

I told him the current depreciation rate is >1 year 16%,> 2 year 33%, > 3 years 49%. He said yes , but what depreciation will be given at that time he does not know.

I told him Samsung just bought back my under 3 year old OOW plasma last month as they did not have the part and it was OOW and i got 33% depreciation on invoice.

So this means that even if you have extended warranty and they are not able to replace the part the depreciation will come into picture and is very much there. The only advantage of extended warranty is that just in case post 1 year any issue comes up they will service it for free and change the part if available.He also did say that they would keep stock and spares for extended warranty products and worse case will try to source them globally if required.

If not the depreciation will come into play which i am well aware of now. So considering that extended warranty cost is not even 10% of the TV he said you should go for it as it would come in handy in long term.

So i rest my case, personally i would go for the same to have a peaceful sleep at night for the next 4 years. If some issue does happen i know most of the folks in Samsung to trigger to get the job done.

Last edited:

Is this premium per month/year/ one time?

Unfortunately LG's extended warranty doesn't cover plastic and glass which means panel is not covered . looks like only service is covered ..

Panel, what do you mean by that? The outer panel which is plastic or the display panel? if its outer panel, it should be cheap but if its display panel, then the cost of repair or replacement is covered in the insurance based on depreciation.

Is this premium per month/year/ one time?

Yearly.

I am planing to buy the insurance for my tv. Since the PSU insurers only have cap upto 25k so would like to go for private insurance. Please suggest which one will be good.

I was exactly thinking about having insurance for my Tv yesterday and good that I found this thread. So does this insure covers accidental damages ? Like incase running kids hit the tv mistakenly ?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back