Integrated Amp for Wharf 9.5 FS

denzong

HI,

Need advice as i want to drive my Wharfedale 9.5 FS Speakers with a new amp.
the primary use would be Vinyl but i would occasionally also use it with my media player and tv.

the choices that i have shortlisted so far are:

sr. no. Name model no
1 Cambridge Audio Topaz SR-10
2 NAD C446
3 Marantz PM6004
4 Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2
5 NAD C356BEE
6 Denon PMA 710AE
7 Yamaha AS 500
8 Onkyo TX 8522(B)
9 Rotel RA 04 SE

your help would be highly appreciated on an urgent basis.

I have some serious doubts if the pm 6003 can drive the floor standers. My speakers are 6 ohms 150w. Therefore need something powerful enough

6003 shd be around 23-26
Yamaha shd be around 21 and denon s d same I guess 21-22
Azur 640 (i don know if its still flowing in d markets..) if it is .. shd be in d same price band as it is a downgrade model of 650...

Now since the price is same for all, what would be the beat buy.
Anyone knows about some demo pieces being sold in mumbai, hyd, bangalore or chennai?

Please don't get me wrong guys, but I find an increasing trend of Marantz & Wharfedale blind followers in hifivision.

Every thread i visit, I get these two names being suggested to a newcomer. Not saying they are good enough, marantz makes excellent amps & A/V recievers while wharfedale makes some of the best speaker packages, but at the same time there are other audiophile companies too who sometime makes even better packages at the same price range.

I recently had an memorable audition where I had very high exceptions from Marantz amps, but I am sorry to say that the marantz PM7004 were just good at playing the big B&W floorstanders. PM7004 have detailed sound quality, the mids & highs were excellent but ultimately lacked the rhythm, the punch, the force required to get you in sync with the music.

The Yamaha DSP-A2070, Krell 300i & even the NAD T 755 had this warm nature which you will instantly fall in love with and immediately feel a lot of power & punch being radiated to you from those awesome roaring B&W floorstanders getting you in groove with the music.

Here is my review of DSP-A2070: Yamaha DSP-A2070

So, if you are a bass lover like me, and love the warm chest thumping feel, I will advice you to look at other amps.

For laid back warm sound go for Cambridge Audio.

If you like bass & want the punch go for NAD or Yamaha. The NAD C356BEE, Yamaha A-S500 & Yamaha A-S700 are very good amplifiers.

I also find Yamaha being quite underrated in the audiophile world of India, not in the other parts of the world though.

Reviews:

NAD-C356BEE

Yamaha A-S500

Yamaha A-S700

No idea about Rotel, Onkyo & Denon.

Last edited:
i am also keen on the Yamaha AS500. will it be able to drive my wharf 9.5 effectively?

You seem to have Sansui and kenny amps, I think they can drive your wharfs left and right (effectively).:)

yes i do have them but i am thinking of changing one of them....so hold your breaths as to what will come on sale but i need to buy first, therefore need the suggestions.

i am also keen on the Yamaha AS500. will it be able to drive my wharf 9.5 effectively?

The Yamaha AS500 is a great amp. I will get this AS500 over PM7004 any day.:)

AS700 is even better. What is the price of AS700 in India?

Read the detailed review of AS700 that I have provided above with special emphasis on technical review part.

The as700 is rated at 90 watts X 2, but are actually capable to deliver 135 watts X 2. Example of Yamaha's trademark & traditional conservative power output figure ratings.

AS700 is a crouching tiger hidden dragon.

Last edited:
i have just managed to get the rate of AS 500, which is 24500 here.
need to find out about the other as well

i have just managed to get the rate of AS 500, which is 24500 here.
need to find out about the other as well

The AS500 will drive your warfe floodstanders with ease. AS500 is regarded the best amp under INR 25K by whathifi.

Spec of AS500:

Minimum RMS output power
(8 ?, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.019% THD) ...................... 85 W + 85 W

(6 ?, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.038% THD) ...................... 100 W + 100 W

Dynamic power per channel (IHF) (8/6/4/2 ?) .................... 130/150/185/220 W

Power band width (0.06% THD, 42.5 W, 8 ?) ................. 10 Hz to 50 kHz

Damping factor (SPEAKERS A) 1 kHz, 8 ?........................ 240 or more

Total harmonic distortion

PHONO (MM) to REC (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 3 V)..... 0.025% or less
CD, etc. to SPEAKERS

(20 Hz to 20 kHz, 42.5 W, 8 ?) .......... 0.015% or less

Signal to noise ratio (IHF-A network)

PHONO (MM) (5 mV input shorted) ..................... 88 dB or more

CD, etc. PURE DIRECT on (200 mV input shorted)................ 100 dB or more

Last edited:
looks very interesting to me.
should i go in for it then or wait for a few more reviews. personally i have always liked the yamahas

I am using the AS500 with Aviano 2, amazing sound quality. I played old 320kbps mp3's and they sounded like recorded just in today's time.

I had got the AS500 for a killer price few months back...:)

looks very interesting to me.

Ditto.:licklips:

should i go in for it then or wait for a few more reviews.

Very tough question to answer.:D

If i were you, by now I have already narrowed by selection to NAD or Yamaha. Bassheads like me worship these brands.

Looking at the excellent distributor & service centers available for Yamaha in India (hey they have a dedicated website for India) it could well be the AS500.

Yamaha Audio India

Yamaha Stereo Amps in India

Yamaha Authorized Dealers in India

Yamaha Authorized Service Centers in India

personally i have always liked the yamahas

I love them too. NIPPON GAKKI NATURAL SOUND :clapping:

Last edited:
I am using the AS500 with Aviano 2, amazing sound quality. I played old 320kbps mp3's and they sounded like recorded just in today's time.

Great timing man. :D

Came at the right time to rescue. :clapping:

denzong now you have imgene who owns this amp.

imgene just for personal interest, how much did you pay for AS500?

Last edited:

how much did u pay for this and from where did u get it.
maybe you can help secure a deal for me so that i can narrow down immediately

i got the same rate from there. i thought imgene bought somewhere else and at a better rate

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back