Integrated Amplifier for stereo setup

Jeanpher

I have Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 Floor stander used with Denon X2000 AVR, Now planning to make a stereo setup with it. i think this AVR is underrated for this floor stander So please suggest a Good integrated amplifier with pre-out and drive this Floor stander at full potential. Well maintained Used products from FM is most welcome

Spec of my Floor stander
Paradigm Monitor 11 v7
Paradigm? | Floorstanding / Tower | Monitor 11 v7 | Specifications
Frequency Response On-Axis 2dB from 42 Hz - 22 kHz
Frequency Response 30 Off-Axis 2dB from 42 Hz - 18 kHz
Low Frequency Extension 30 Hz (DIN)
Sensitivity Room / Anechoic 93 dB / 90 dB
Impedance Compatible with 8 ohms
Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 250 watts
Maximum Input Power 180 watts

Hi,

I would suggest you look @ Marantz SR 5010 which is a 7.2 AVR. You can use the Bi Amp mode or (Speaker A+B) option to power the floor standers....

You can use the AVR for 5.1 or 5.2 purpose or just stereo....marantz is very musical. If budget is an issue and you are open to Pre owned, look out in For Sale by owner or Hi Fi Ads...there is someone selling a SR 5008..all the best

Hi,

I would suggest you look @ Marantz SR 5010 which is a 7.2 AVR. You can use the Bi Amp mode or (Speaker A+B) option to power the floor standers....

You can use the AVR for 5.1 or 5.2 purpose or just stereo....marantz is very musical. If budget is an issue and you are open to Pre owned, look out in For Sale by owner or Hi Fi Ads...there is someone selling a SR 5008..all the best

But i already have a 7.1 AVR from Denon (X2000) and right now am powering it through that (Bi-amp), still i think something is lacking, may be AVR's cannot provide quality/power which an integrated amp can provide...

Last edited:
Won't that be injustice to the speakers? Hope this is a stopgap arrangement. There are some tempting amps on hifiads though at higher budgets

What is your source for stereo listening?
Do you use your AVR in direct mode/pure direct mode for stereo?

Monitor 11 FS is 93db efficient and Denon X2000, roughly produces 90W in stereo mode, which i think is more than enough for that FS...

You may consider adding a standalone DAC in your stereo chain... Use the Analogue out of the DAC to your AVR analogue input... It should be very good improvement than adding a stereo amplifier to it...

What is your source for stereo listening?
Do you use your AVR in direct mode/pure direct mode for stereo?

Monitor 11 FS is 93db efficient and Denon X2000, roughly produces 90W in stereo mode, which i think is more than enough for that FS...

You may consider adding a standalone DAC in your stereo chain... Use the Analogue out of the DAC to your AVR analogue input... It should be very good improvement than adding a stereo amplifier to it...

I second this opinion. Starting with 93dB efficiency speakers you need very little power from amp to make these speakers shine.

Here is back of the envelope calculation (rough calc) for your speakers.
Each FS is
1W --> 93dB (SPL at 1m)
2W --> 96dB
4W --> 99dB
8W --> 102dB
16W --> 105dB
32W --> 108dB
64W --> 111dB

Assume you are at 105dB at source per speaker. At 3 m from speaker (listening position) the SPL will still be in the mid-high 90s. This is very loud; enough to cause hearing damage if exposed even for a short time. Ideal SPL for a fatigue free session is 75-85dB at listening position.

As suggested check elsewhere in the chain for reason for under performance.
If you are looking for a new IA, audition Marantz PM series.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:

How do I add DAC to my setup, if my source is Laptop connected through HDMI, please suggest some DAC too?

I was also a HDMI believer. Later I found that most consumer HDMI devices down samples audio to 48khz and hence theoretically degrades quality. As you are already planning to invest some amount, I'd like to suggest you to get your source/transports corrected as well. A simple USB dac might be sufficient to enhance the experience further.

My 2 cents (paisa) :)

I second this opinion. Starting with 93dB efficiency speakers you need very little power from amp to make these speakers shine.

Here is back of the envelope calculation (rough calc) for your speakers.
Each FS is
1W --> 93dB (SPL at 1m)
2W --> 96dB
4W --> 99dB
8W --> 102dB
16W --> 105dB
32W --> 108dB
64W --> 111dB

Assume you are at 105dB at source per speaker. At 3 m from speaker (listening position) the SPL will still be in the mid-high 90s. This is very loud; enough to cause hearing damage if exposed even for a short time. Ideal SPL for a fatigue free session is 75-85dB at listening position.

As suggested check elsewhere in the chain for reason for under performance.
If you are looking for a new IA, audition Marantz PM series.

Cheers,
Raghu

My AVR 7.1 can produce 90 watts per channel, so if I bi-amp it, how much watt it can produce?

Am listening from a distance of 3 m and keeping the volume level about 65% would it cause hearing damage?

My source for Music/Movies, FLAC/320kbps files played through HDMI from Laptop.

Ok...Good enough..

Hi Elangoas; Please explain me, about these modes as am not aware of it.

So when you listen to stereo, do you use the sub or not?

When listening to stereo, Pure/direct audio in your AVR treats your front as LARGE.. No output is sent to subwoofer...

How do I add DAC to my setup, if my source is Laptop connected through HDMI, please suggest some DAC too?

Since you have a good budget of 30K, you can consider buying used too from the forum members here... There was a pioneer DAC on sale in the forum...

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac for example..

Last edited:
I was also a HDMI believer. Later I found that most consumer HDMI devices down samples audio to 48khz and hence theoretically degrades quality. As you are already planning to invest some amount, I'd like to suggest you to get your source/transports corrected as well. A simple USB dac might be sufficient to enhance the experience further.

My 2 cents (paisa) :)

Are you sure buddy that HDMI down-samples to 48Khz?

@Jeanpher

A few silly questions.
Have you calibrated your AVR?
Denon (like the Marantz I have) should have source/channel/tone level controls.
Are all of these at factory settings (0dB by default)?
If it is at 0dB, then you may have to turn up the volume higher to perceive loudness.

Playing around with these 3 controls will make changes the way speakers sound.

Cheers,
Raghu

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back