Integrated Amplifier or HTIB or Receiver + Speaker Combo

imgene

Hi,

I have been following the threads for last few months and was most certain to buy the Onkyo HTS-3400. However, as always it happens I stumbled upon few threads which have had a tailspin effect on my decisions and confused me....:)

So, what are my needs?

1) I love music...:yahoo:, need to have clarity any day instead of bang-o-bang noise.

2) Oh, but I also love Movies...:clapping:, especially the surround and powerful sounds like we had in The Dark Knight and Transformers 2 - Revenge of the fallen...:cool:.

So, what I have understood so far...

1) Is that If I need to go for good music, I should go for a good Int. Amp (Norge 2060 seems to be a very popular choice) + speakers (Wharfedale or Mordaunt Short).

2) Is that If I need to move in for good sound from movies, then onkyo HTS3400 is a good choice.

Now, my queries are as follows:

(Pls remember I have a limited budget here....35k max)

1) Should I buy an Integrated Amp + 5.1 or 5 speaker system for the time being and later buy a good A/V receiver later on. Will I be able to connect the Amp to the A/V receiver?

2) Do you recommend getting something like Cambridge DVD99 along with an Integrated Amp + Speakers, is it a better option than to get an A/V Receiver?

3) Is there some setup/configuration that can be recommended where one gets the best of both the worlds, music + movie (budget 35K max).

4) Any recommendations for a good speaker system 2/5 or 2.1/5.1 setting?

5) Any recommendation for a good Integrated Amplifier or should I blindly get the Norge, anything from Cambridge/Marantz, etc I should be looking at?

My ultimate goal is to have a complete setup in place where I can one day hook all of the toys (TV/DTH/DVD/CD/BLU-RAY) and get good quality audio from it in a decent budget.

Thought would put something for you :
It may not be practical to get a pretty good 5.1 channel system which can do good 2-channel under your budget of 35k. You will get a lot of variants within this price range, because any manufacturer will design "systems" for a wider spread, but they often suffocate;mainly because they would lack drive strength. May be, a good design should put rest of the transistors in parallel when user wishes to switch from 5-ch to 2-ch; I don't know whether any of these commercial systems can do that, or whether it is a viable idea commercially for mass market. You should get a very decent 2-channel system for this price. Having seperate electronics for music and movies is something I would suggest; because more likely while watching movies, "sweetness in sound" will go un-noticed when you have something playing on your screen, for 3.5 hours.

Now, I am not keeping myself updated with brands, there are lot of good people in this forum who can help you on the brands, and who can help you to take your decision.

Hi Imgene,
For budget of 35k this is what I have to suggest:

2-Channel setup (Music priority)
a. Cambridge DV99 @ 12k approx
b. Norge 2060 @ 8k approx
c. Wharfedale 10.1 @ 14k approx
Total=34k

2-Channel + 5 Channel setup (Music + 5.1 surround Movie equal priority)
a. LG DVDP @ 3k approx
b. Norge 2060 @ 8k approx
c. Wharfedale 10.1 @ 14k approx
d. F&D 5.1 ch amp + Speakers (includes subwoofer) @ 7k
Total=32k

The prices above are approx, actual prices may be within 15-20% variation.

If you are ok with pre-owned gear, good deals in comparative /better items a, b, c, can be found in this forum's sale section.

Regds,

I started the journey just like you. You must start with good speakers first. Preferably floorstanders. Don't look at anything else at this point. Spend as much as you can on the speakers. That will give you a compulsion to buy a good integrated amp. With your budget you can get both these. Norge 1000 is a good choice for FS. Once this is done, if you love music and clarity, you may get a decent DAC, but this is optional. Watch out for used ones for all these requirements.

Then once you gather enough weight in your piggy bank, turn towards movies; you may want to get an entry level AVR. Since you have powerful fronts, you will look for plugging the hole with a centre and surrounds. Then finally hunt for a powered sub.

Yes it is going to cause big damage but do not hurry. Go slow on building your setup. Thats the only way to get satisfied.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back