Integrated Stereo Amp + DAC for Rs. 1200

ketansethi1987

This thread is going to be interesting!!!!

I was using this amp from the company named WOOBS for about 3 years which had performed really well. It started giving some minor problems with the switches to be used for selecting the source. And later the power button also started giving me problem.

But before the problems I had already bought a new one as it costs on Rs. 1200 for backup. Finally the power button gave up and I had to use the new amp.

I used to power 2 12 inch woofers with this along with 2 satelites and sometimes 2-3 10 inch woofers with 4 satelites.

Source used to be me beloved pen drive having all bass lovers's collection. I had kept my pen drives in my bag which unfortunately got stolen from my sister's car. And now the source was my phone connected through aux wire (3.5 mm to RCA)

Now the battery of my phone has given up so I thought I should try using the USB data cable of the phone and connect it to the USB port of the amp and use my phone's MMC as a pen drive. BUT that didnt work. when I connected the USB cable of the phone and connected the phone to the amp, instead of reading it as a usb pen drive the amp showed PC.

I was able to use the phone's MMC as pen drive with my F&D 5.1 and charge the phone along with listening to the songs without draining the battery. I finally accepted that this amp wont recognize the phone as pen drive.

Now being a DIYer and a very very curious person I wanted to know what did the PC thing meant in the amp when I connected the phone to it.

Thanks to this Forum I was introduced to the word DAC which I never heard before and was never interested in.

Then what striked me was what would happen if I connect the USB of the amp to the USB of my Laptop??? Will the amp work as a DAC????

It took me only 1 second to take out the USB to USB cable from my external DVD writer. But I was worried if I was gonna blow up the USB ports of my laptop or the amp as both of them send power out to the devices attached to them. But my curiosity overtook me and I switched on the amp put the volume knob to the minimum and connected both the USB ports.

What happened next was amazing. The laptop detected a USB audio device and installed the drivers automatically (windows XP). As I had never used a DAC i didnt know how to play the music. Had auditioned NAD DACs at the Delhi NCR Jan 2013 audiophile meet. I thought there must be some software that needs to be installed to play the songs. As this is a local amp I was sure not to find any software for it.

It showed a removable media. But when I clicked on it a message came saying insert disk. Then I tried to send a song to the removable drive and got the same msg again.

Finally I thought of playing the songs using winamp and didnt know what was going to happen. The song was playing but there was no sound. Yes I remember turning the volume knob to minimum.

So as I increased the volume I could hear the sound coming out from the speakers. :clapping:

What a discovery: my amp was working as a DAC and playing songs via USB.

Dont know whether real DACs work like this or is there any difference but I am sure tat now I have a DAC as well.

I bet the dealer himself doesnt know that the amp can work as a DAC.

So am I really lucky to have this???? You let me know.

PS: sorry for the long thread but I wanted to share this joy and how it all happened due to stealing of my bag otherwise I would have never bothered to connect the amp to my laptop.

You'd better post details of "the amp" and its connection for anyone to be able to say anything conclusively.

May be what you are referring to as an "amp" is an "all-in-one-Chinese-wonder-machine". They are available everywhere these days and chances are most that what you got is an amp with a dual USB implementation, host mode and client mode. In host mode it uses the connected pen drive as a source, in client mode it becomes a USB DAC. Simple as that.

Google "USB On-The-Go", you will get all your answers. This is nothing new. It has existed for years now. Most Chinese made gadgets these days come with USB OTG.

Last edited:
Its a new thing. Atleast for me. Thanks for enlightening but I never heard of such thing before. The older amp did not have the pc compatibility. I do not know whether its Chinese or Indian but its a great VFM product. Most of us cannot afford to spend 50-60k on an amp so many would be interested in this, specially students who are always on a budget.

buddy why you hiding the product? can we have make , model number? weblinks or photographs plaese?

Sorry friends I am not hiding the product. the fact is I searched the net for WOOBS but could not find anything. There is no make no model number no weblinks no photographs.

I will click some pics today and upload them here.

There was some model number mentioned, will check that out.

As for now it is a high power stereo amp and I have connected almost every speaker I can get my hands on to it. From 12 inch bass tube, bass bins to 10 inch woofers to satelites and tweeters.

My Musical fidelity A5.5 has an USB input BTW.
It is very poor compared to the MF M1 DAC I have.

So theoretically there can be a DAC in the amp but most probably it is worse than standalone DACs.

My Musical fidelity A5.5 has an USB input BTW.
It is very poor compared to the MF M1 DAC I have.

So theoretically there can be a DAC in the amp but most probably it is worse than standalone DACs.

Agreed!
Was just sharing what I discovered in this "affordable by all" amp never meant to compare it with a 50k stand alone DAC.

Its really happy to see a happy owner who spent just 1200 for an Amp and used it for 3 Years.Its VFM.
It could be Chinese\Korean\ Japanese\ Britain's\States.Sound is Sound and music is Music, Spending thousands and thousands of money if people dont have love towards music then its completely waste.

The Enthu and cheer you have in writing a big review on your amp, states the love you have for music.

I would personally recommend some Budget Hifi stuffs or even pre-owned components of a well known quality brand would expand.

"hemantwaghe" Who posted in the thread deals with some pre-owned stuffs ,If you are interested can upgrade your sound-media to next level.

Iam no was going to benefit out of this deal and i dont have any personal intention to promote him. But he is very nice person to deal with atleast as friend:)

All the best of the current set-up and once you feel to move to next sound sale, give try for entry level set-up and am sure you will be out of Joy with the experience.

MONEY NEVER MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY, But its has image of showing someone happy:)

Coming to your point,MEMORY CARD supports FAT file system hence it can be supported by USB driver used in your amp But your Laptop hardware file system would be NAS, Hence you cannot enjoy the music from laptop to Amp directly.

The Above statement is purely my experience it may differ for some Amps, Just admitted my statement.

Its really happy to see a happy owner who spent just 1200 for an Amp and used it for 3 Years.Its VFM.
It could be Chinese\Korean\ Japanese\ Britain's\States.Sound is Sound and music is Music, Spending thousands and thousands of money if people dont have love towards music then its completely waste.

The Enthu and cheer you have in writing a big review on your amp, states the love you have for music.

I would personally recommend some Budget Hifi stuffs or even pre-owned components of a well known quality brand would expand.

"hemantwaghe" Who posted in the thread deals with some pre-owned stuffs ,If you are interested can upgrade your sound-media to next level.

Iam no was going to benefit out of this deal and i dont have any personal intention to promote him. But he is very nice person to deal with atleast as friend:)

All the best of the current set-up and once you feel to move to next sound sale, give try for entry level set-up and am sure you will be out of Joy with the experience.

Coming to your point,MEMORY CARD supports FAT file system hence it can be supported by USB driver used in your amp But your Laptop hardware file system would be NAS, Hence you cannot enjoy the music from laptop to Amp directly.

The Above statement is purely my experience it may differ for some Amps, Just admitted my statement.

thanks for your reply. Its a really nice one. and also thanks for your recommendation for pre owned and budget setups.

Well I am wealthy enough to spend 50K+ on any expensive amp and speakers. But I think I am never gonna upgrade. I am too much satisfied with this or maybe I dont feel that the expensive amps and speakers are so much worth the money or maybe the efforts one put in DIY stuff make the DIY stuff sound better than any other thing in the world.

I might go for an expensive amp but I know I am gonna blow it some day as I cannot stop myself from experimenting and tinkering around with things. This amp has easily handled 4 sub woofers, LED strips powered directly from the speaker output along with powering the speakers. It has also gone through some new year and other parties going through even more pain of extended usage. And I know I am going to put the expensive one through these tests as well so I gues that for now it is better to stick to this one. Maybe after some years when I build my own office Ill have a good expensive amp for showing it off.

The point is the sound quality of this amp is really good and more than satisfactory. So if I buy a 50K amp the sq of that amp will be 50 times the quality of this amp.

The only upgrade I foresee is DIY 2 x 21 inch sub woofers under my bed. Might take some years but im gonna do it some day.

And the amp does play music directly from the laptop as I gues a DAC does. I never expected the amp to read the hard drive of my laptop directly and play the music.

Last edited:
Got the model number its GE4600

Its a WOOBS digital amplifier. Thats what written on the front. Will upload the pics tomorrow my phone's data cable took its last breath today.

So am I really lucky to have this???? You let me know.

This thread had a question and my first post attempted to answer that. And I suppose that was a major purpose, to have an explanation to the "discovery" OP thought to have made. My post was completely a technical explanation of the question it led the OP to.

Again, there is so much of misinformation here which I feel compelled to correct, because its better to not know than to know wrong. And that's the whole purpose of coming to a forum like this, to learn what you don't. Otherwise people won't post, just sit on whatever they know thinking they know all of it correctly.

A memory card NEED NOT have FAT file system. Most memory cards these days come preformatted with FAT32. Thereafter the file system they have totally depends on the purpose they are used for. I have memory cards with FAT, FAT32, and HFS file systems. Each one serves me a different set of purpose. So I know for sure a memory card has a file system that is required by the system it is used by. It doesn't depend on the card, it depends on the system. Memory card is just a storage media. What file system it will have is determined by the system it is being used by.

"But your Laptop hardware file system would be NAS"

I don't know what to say! Let me try.

NAS is NOT a file system. It's a piece of hardware.

Laptop file system, again, would entirely depend on the OS(es) that are installed on it. It can be any file system but not NAS at least, as there is no file system called NAS.

And the reason why said amp can't use the laptop as a source is that - the laptop's USB is only designed to be a host, not a slave. The reason certainly isn't that the laptop has some file system known as NAS.

Some incorrect assumptions there.

I have sold a lot of equipments but I still have my Aiwa boombox and 100 Rs headphone. I still have them as I really liked what they did for me when I bought them. Assuming that if someone owns expensive stuff he automatically starts to dislike inexpensive one is a horrible mistake.

Last edited:
I think he meant NTFS

May be. But then (1) there is huge difference between NTFS and NAS, and (2) the reason why "the amp" will not recognize the laptop is that the USB port on the laptop is ONLY designed to be a host, not a client. Even if he formats the drive on the laptop as FAT, "the amp" will still NOT recognize it.

Last edited:
May be. But then (1) there is huge difference between NTFS and NAS, and (2) the reason why "the amp" will not recognize the laptop is that the USB port on the laptop is ONLY designed to be a host, not a client. Even if he formats the drive on the laptop as FAT, "the amp" will still NOT recognize it.

Agreed! No matter what the file system is the amp would never read the drive drive directly. Though it is possible if the amp has a LAN port and can be connected to the laptop using LAN.

I think he meant NTFS

Yes, thats right :eek:
When i was looking for OPTION to connect my External HDD to DVD nothing was been prompted in menu, Then i read some online article and found that FAT file system only be supported by most of the DVD\Audio player and most all the Memory card\Pen drive of same file system.

Then most of the HDD are in NTFS file format. hence it will be not recognized by DVD players.

In case i need to use the External HDD to my dvd player then i need to format my HDD to FAT, which is not possible for me at present.

This was i found,and experienced. I know the term i used there "NAS" was due to my work Impact, Apologies for the same.

One of the links i refer was
How to Play an External Hard Drive on a DVD Player | eHow.com

Last edited:
Some incorrect assumptions there.

I have sold a lot of equipments but I still have my Aiwa boombox and 100 Rs headphone. I still have them as I really liked what they did for me when I bought them. Assuming that if someone owns expensive stuff he automatically starts to dislike inexpensive one is a horrible mistake.

Ranjeetrain,
I have seen some Fm's really feeling superior when some newbie suggest for a Very low budget system or ask about some unaware brands.

Its only about affordability and it varies from person to person. Everyone love music, I have seen people who getup in early morning for music played in Radio and people who dont know even to adjust the volume owning expensive stuff.

I still own a BPL speaker bought by my dad in 1990's and have paired with china made FM for kitchen listening for my mom:)

Sorry for my typo mistakes anyways and GURU's like you are here to correct mistakes i believe :eek:hyeah:

Ranjeetrain,
I have seen some Fm's really feeling superior when some newbie suggest for a Very low budget system or ask about some unaware brands.

Its only about affordability and it varies from person to person. Everyone love music, I have seen people who getup in early morning for music played in Radio and people who dont know even to adjust the volume owning expensive stuff.

I still own a BPL speaker bought by my dad in 1990's and have paired with china made FM for kitchen listening for my mom:)

Sorry for my typo mistakes anyways and GURU's like you are here to correct mistakes i believe :eek:hyeah:

No harm :)

Yes, you are right. *Some* members do give the impression of lower priced gear being crap. I feel bad about that, too. I strongly feel anything that's on sale in the market is there because there is a market for it. Ridiculing something low priced for being crappy is bad. At the same time, the opposite is true too. Many members can't justify the price spent on something. I say, what's their problem if someone can afford it? If Ambanis and Tatas also start wearing Timex watches the luxury watch market will be done, right :lol:

It cuts both the ways. It is important to respect low priced gear, and the value it offers. At the same time, it is equally important to respect highly priced gear, for the status symbol it is, for the feeling it brings to the owner.

Disclaimer: The feelings of no members were hurt in making of this post :lol:

No harm :)

If Ambanis and Tatas also start wearing Timex watches the luxury watch market will be done, right :lol:

It cuts both the ways. It is important to respect low priced gear, and the value it offers. At the same time, it is equally important to respect highly priced gear, for the status symbol it is, for the feeling it brings to the owner.

Disclaimer: The feelings of no members were hurt in making of this post :lol:
Thats the Design of GOD:),

I have respect for High gear stuff,Coz i know spending even 5 or 50K on a best brand really worth:).

I have dream to own some set-up like your's :eek:hyeah:, I am saving some money for same.
I respect your accuphase to great extent:clapping: too

Ranjeetrain,

If you are referring to me, please note I am not a newbie and I am aware of the well known brands. I never intend to suggest this to anyone and was just sharing my experience with this thing. My goal is to make people aware that this exist and its good.

The reason no one is buying or talking about such things is that no one knows about it.

Cheap things are crap - Agree with the statement but only till I have tested the cheap thing for myself.

I think the reason for this thing being of such a low price is that it does not have many advance features like HDMI, optical input, crossovers etc and etc. The manufacturer is not spending millions on its advertisement. He is not offering warranty on this. He is not having service centers and showrooms all over India. He is not bothered to provide you with the power output, power ratings, how many WATS it has, or the frequency response etc and etc like the brands do (sometimes even fooling us). He is not bothered to provide a printed carton (package) with the product which again will add to the price. So all this would definitely reduce the price of any product to a great extent without compromising on quality.

This is just an example many such things exist in the real world and we will find more of them when we explore more and more markets.

And I think it will be best for all of us if we can share such findings on this forum. It will be very nice if we can appreciate such efforts instead of thinking that the person cannot afford expensive stuff like we can. These can be really useful for those who really cannot afford expensive stuff.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back