Interest check - DIY budget home theater projection screen

john_k_antony

Guys,

I am thinking of doing a DIY 150" 16:9 projection screen for my dedicated HT room. The PJ I have is Epson TW8000. Initially I thought of getting a fixed frame screen from a screen manufacturer. For 150" 16:9 fixed frame screen, the cheapest option I got was for 25K. I felt the price was little too high for the quality of material I am getting. I don't want to spend big bucks now on a high end screen that will cost over a lakh. So I thought about going the DIY route.

The cheapest DIY screen option was to paint a dry wall. I looked at dedicated HT screen paints from Goo and some other brands. But they are also turning out to be pretty expensive. In the range of 15K for the paint itself.

Now I am thinking of following option and I guess I can keep the cost of the screen less than 7.5K to start with.

1. Instead of painting the wall, I will create a screen base using 8mm MDF boards. I will use 3 pieces of 7x4 sheets and glue/join them together. I think 3 sheets will cost me around Rs. 3000/-. I am choosing MDF board for the screen surface as they are already very smooth and I need to apply 1 or 2 layers of putty to make them close to 100% smooth.

2. I will make a 3" wide MDF strips for creating the screen border. This 3" strips will be wrapped in black velvet or velveteen cloth and will be glued on top of the main screen board on the edges. I can get these strips from the left over MDF piece that is used for making the screen. Because the standard MDF sheets are 8x4 in size and the screen base needs 7x4 sheets.

3. Apply pure white paint on the MDF base. I will look for a "Super White" satin finish paint. Any recommendations are welcome here. I don't have any ambient light in my HT room as its a dedicated room. So I am okay with doing a pure white shade rather than a silver/grey shade.

4. Hang the painter MDF screen with border on the wall.

I think the entire setup including carpenter labor and paint cost is not going to go beyond 7.5K.

I am inspired by the following article - http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm and many other DIY HT projection screen projects.

I would really appreciate any inputs on this approach.

Thanks,
John.

I am choosing MDF board for the screen surface as they are already very smooth and I need to apply 1 or 2 layers of putty to make them close to 100% smooth.

Pay attention to the seam- make sure it is tight as well as smooth

In my opinion the gluing together of pieces etc doesn't sound like a very good option. In case of any gap opening up in the mdf board joints or if the sheets start opening up the entire screen will go bad.
An option would be to use a flex board in one piece, the ones used in advertising. I remember reading about it in the forum.
In case you do not want to spend on a screen right now & if you're wall is smooth go for the painted wall. Use a normal good quality wall paint & you will not be disappointed.

Read these:
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/27363-help-paint-projector-screen-2.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/17041-flex-paper-projector-screen.html

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back