Interference or Electrical ground loop

Vivek Batra

Hi FMs

May be this is very common to AV gear and you might have faced something similar with your system as well. I am looking for your advice on how to tackle this.

After setting up the system last night, I noticed that when I turned on/off the normal tube light, I could hear the interference from the speakers. This morning it was caused by the grinder in the kitchen and after that I could hear intermittent crackling sound from both the speakers (this was not there at night). This was not the case with my previous system (An AVR) I can not recall a single instance like this with my system.

I have a power strip supplying power to Amp and the DAC which is connected to a 16 amp wall outlet. Is this phenomena related to any kind of ground loop? Why I am listening the interference due to lights/mixer grinder etc. I have noticed the same crackling sound from my soundbar speakers as well at times, that I thought was due to capacitors or some cooling mechanism in the bar because I hear the sounds from the soundbar even when its powered off. The common thing between the sound bar and my system is, both are getting power from a power strip and single wall outlet. Does thing ring any bells?

I can think of following measures even though I do not have any idea what exactly is the issue.

Worth mentioning, my house is very old and fore sure with faulty wiring.

My Setup :
1. Laptop to DAC via USB
2. DAC to Amp via RCA

1. Dedicated power line from mains to the system
2. Stabilizer with Power Conditioner (not sure)
3. Any thing else?

Kindly suggest.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Vivek

Last edited:
Tube lights and grinders are generally noisy devices in general. Do you get cracking noise only when they start/stop or continous noise( try turning volume all the way up without playing anything). My advice is to get earthing checked at first place. Suspect can be some kind of earthing leakage. If i were you i would possibly try disconnecting ground wire from each equipment one by one and check accordingly.

Tube lights and grinders are generally noisy devices in general. Do you get cracking noise only when they start/stop or continous noise( try turning volume all the way up without playing anything). My advice is to get earthing checked at first place. Suspect can be some kind of earthing leakage. If i were you i would possibly try disconnecting ground wire from each equipment one by one and check accordingly.
The noise was not continuous with lights, but in the morning the poping was kind of scary so I just turned off the system to try in the evening.
I am sure there will be problems with the wiring because I had issues with wiring in general in the past the internal conduits are of metal that are around 30 years old or so same is with the wiring. I can get it checked though.

Just wondering why it was not so with AVR.

Why not a dedicated line including ground (might need it later) for the music needs with a separate MCB with surge protection.

Are you sure it's 2 pin? Is it a Euro style plug with a recessed earth pin? Usually unless the cabinet is plastic, you can't have a 2 pin.
Yes it Euro style plug but at the rear of the amp, it's 2 pin. I guess no earthing? There is a terminal at the rear of the amp marked as "ground"

All amps are supposed to be connected to ground earth. If its 2 pin only then try using a 3 pin plug to see if problem goes away.

Yes it Euro style plug but at the rear of the amp, it's 2 pin. I guess no earthing? There is a terminal at the rear of the amp marked as "ground"

Would be safer to buy a 3KVA Vertex at this stage which is an essential requirement to protect for your expensive gear. Later if required, a Sound Foundation Barracuda electric distribution. A wiring issue should have also shown up in your earlier Denon receiver. Could be an earthing issue.

Would be safer to buy a 3KVA Vertex at this stage which is an essential requirement to protect for your expensive gear. Later if required, a Sound Foundation Barracuda electric distribution. A wiring issue should have also shown up in your earlier Denon receiver. Could be an earthing issue.
I called up Vertex yesterday, they refused to sell it to me :( reason being there is no service point near me.

Hi FMs

May be this is very common to AV gear and you might have faced something similar with your system as well. I am looking for your advice on how to tackle this.

After setting up the system last night, I noticed that when I turned on/off the normal tube light, I could hear the interference from the speakers. This morning it was caused by the grinder in the kitchen and after that I could hear intermittent crackling sound from both the speakers (this was not there at night). This was not the case with my previous system (An AVR) I can not recall a single instance like this with my system.

I have a power strip supplying power to Amp and the DAC which is connected to a 16 amp wall outlet. Is this phenomena related to any kind of ground loop? Why I am listening the interference due to lights/mixer grinder etc. I have noticed the same crackling sound from my soundbar speakers as well at times, that I thought was due to capacitors or some cooling mechanism in the bar because I hear the sounds from the soundbar even when its powered off. The common thing between the sound bar and my system is, both are getting power from a power strip and single wall outlet. Does thing ring any bells?

I can think of following measures even though I do not have any idea what exactly is the issue.

Worth mentioning, my house is very old and fore sure with faulty wiring.

My Setup :
1. Laptop to DAC via USB
2. DAC to Amp via RCA

1. Dedicated power line from mains to the system
2. Stabilizer with Power Conditioner (not sure)
3. Any thing else?

Kindly suggest.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Vivek
Do not put your hifi directly to main lines use must voltage stabilizer like digi 400.

All amps are supposed to be connected to ground earth. If its 2 pin only then try using a 3 pin plug to see if problem goes away.
and how would that go away if the amp accepts a 2 pin C7 type inlet only ?

The GROUND on the rear of the amp would be for the phono stage.. to connect the tonearm ground wire to the amp / inbuilt phono..

Can you put a photo of your stock power cord - showing both ends ?

The GROUND on the rear of the amp would be for the phono stage.. to connect the tonearm ground wire to the amp / inbuilt phono..

Can you put a photo of your stock power cord - showing both ends ?
Ok. Will share this when home.

I called up Vertex yesterday, they refused to sell it to me :( reason being there is no service point near me.

There is no service center of Vertex in Mumbai too but they were willing to send it. Anyways a 3 KVA Krykard is also good. I went for Krykard since they have a wide network service in India. But they charge extra for EMI & RFI filters. Would suggest to call a good electrician to check the wiring & plug points first as that may be the root cause .

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back