Internet Speed

terrible

This one is for those with some experience in internet matters. I have an MTNL Fiber to Home 100 mbps connection. The speedtest.net shows the DL speeds anywhere between 65 mbps to 85 mbps. However, When I download stuff from my server in Roubaix, France, the max speeds I get is 22 mbps on CuteFTP (max 8 parts or threads). Could this be because of the server being in France or something else? Also, tests done on dslreports.com show:

9946802.png

9946073.png

I have no idea why the quality fluctuation is there and how this can be rectified. Some pointers here could help.

Also, if I was to buy a modem personally for this FTH connection, can I do so at all or will I have to rely on the one supplied by MTNL? Because they refuse to give me another router, even if I paid. I wanted to do this to to get an ethernet connection for my TV so that Netflix speed improves.

Last edited:
are you sure your server/their isp is not throttling the transfer?
what sort of server is it ?

googling for OVH ftp speeds shows a lot of people facing similar issues :D

Last edited:
Sir, 22 MBPS is also super fast.. For people like us, we would be lucky if we get 16 MBPS as promised by Airtel...

No was just wondering if thats the best it can do. Also, the Netflix app on my LG B6 shows the speed as 1.5 mbps and it needs, if I am not mistaken, 25 mbps to show HDR content.

Sir, 22 MBPS is also super fast.. For people like us, we would be lucky if we get 16 MBPS as promised by Airtel...

22mbps is no longer super fast. Its more or less an average speed now. Airtel is refusing to upgrade its network for some reason. I respect ACT is that sense. Amazing speeds along with a not so bad customer support. Try out ACT if you have them in your area.

MaSh

This one is for those with some experience in internet matters. I have an MTNL Fiber to Home 100 mbps connection. The speedtest.net shows the DL speeds anywhere between 65 mbps to 85 mbps. However, When I download stuff from my server in Roubaix, France, the max speeds I get is 22 mbps on CuteFTP (max 8 parts or threads). Could this be because of the server being in France or something else? Also, tests done on dslreports.com show:

9946802.png

9946073.png

I have no idea why the quality fluctuation is there and how this can be rectified. Some pointers here could help.

Also, if I was to buy a modem personally for this FTH connection, can I do so at all or will I have to rely on the one supplied by MTNL? Because they refuse to give me another router, even if I paid. I wanted to do this to to get an ethernet connection for my TV so that Netflix speed improves.

Hi
I too have a mtnl ftth connection. I have a zyxel modem supplied by mtnl. till recently i was not able to see any videos on ipad though such a problem was not encountered on other non-mtnl (home ) connection. mtnl used to blame the modem for it but were unable to provide a replacement wifi modem. VDSL modems available in the market are very expensive and some models in the price range of 3-4k are available if procured from abroad.

However i was able to solve the problem of seeing videos on ipad by doing a firmware upgrade from the zyxel website. But telephone calls through whatsapp are still not possible. don't know why.

i get speeds around 35-40 mbps; but unable to provide an answer to the download speed problem you experience.

Hi
I too have a mtnl ftth connection. I have a zyxel modem supplied by mtnl. till recently i was not able to see any videos on ipad though such a problem was not encountered on other non-mtnl (home ) connection. mtnl used to blame the modem for it but were unable to provide a replacement wifi modem. VDSL modems available in the market are very expensive and some models in the price range of 3-4k are available if procured from abroad.

However i was able to solve the problem of seeing videos on ipad by doing a firmware upgrade from the zyxel website. But telephone calls through whatsapp are still not possible. don't know why.

i get speeds around 35-40 mbps; but unable to provide an answer to the download speed problem you experience.

ARGT-1000 is the only thing written on the modem. So, by your response it seems VDSL modem is the one to use for MTNL FTTH connection. However, can I buy it off the market, configure it without MTNL's ratification? Where do I find the update for this modem? It does not seem to check by itself.

I don't have any issues apart from slower speeds than promised and the speed of net being extremely slow on my TV only. That's why I wanted to get a modem placed close to it with another wifi-router and take an ethernet connection to the TV. As per need and convenience I could keep switching between the two modems since both can't work at the same time as told to me by the MTNL technician.

Last edited:
Hi

The bandwidth your Isp mentions is only till his distribution point. The actual speed to any particular site depends on where it is hosted and what kind of outgoing bandwidth they have. For example a server at Microsoft USA will be slower compared to the ones in india. You can run a traceroute command to find where the net is slowing down. You can google how to use this. You try this with other local ISPs to find the one who provide the fastest route.

Warm Regds
Kiranps.

Hi

The bandwidth your Isp mentions is only till his distribution point. The actual speed to any particular site depends on where it is hosted and what kind of outgoing bandwidth they have. For example a server at Microsoft USA will be slower compared to the ones in india. You can run a traceroute command to find where the net is slowing down. You can google how to use this. You try this with other local ISPs to find the one who provide the fastest route.

Warm Regds
Kiranps.

Though I don't know how to read this myself, I have done an mtr and ping report from server to home and vice versa and send it to OVH. Lets see, what they say. Even with these speeds, I will stay with MTNL. Nobody else I think gives 900GB free data a month.

Last edited:

9946802.png

9946073.png

Is MTNL completely unlimited?

Also seedbox?

ISPs in general see few heavy users, especially true in India. A 900GB data cap is very generous for Indian standards. What is the price if I may ask? Please PM me if you wish to not post it here.

Thanks for letting me know about the 900GB/2 mbps limit.

ISPs in general see few heavy users, especially true in India. A 900GB data cap is very generous for Indian standards. What is the price if I may ask? Please PM me if you wish to not post it here.

Thanks for letting me know about the 900GB/2 mbps limit.

Yes it is generous. It used to be 500. Just noticed they had taken the cap upto 900. The price is no secret, you'll find it on the website. Its around 8500/- a month.

ARGT-1000 is the only thing written on the modem. So, by your response it seems VDSL modem is the one to use for MTNL FTTH connection. However, can I buy it off the market, configure it without MTNL's ratification? Where do I find the update for this modem? It does not seem to check by itself.

I don't have any issues apart from slower speeds than promised and the speed of net being extremely slow on my TV only. That's why I wanted to get a modem placed close to it with another wifi-router and take an ethernet connection to the TV. As per need and convenience I could keep switching between the two modems since both can't work at the same time as told to me by the MTNL technician.

yes VDSL modems will only work with mtnl ftth connections; yes you can buy from the market and install it yourself. mtnl will also help you install it if you have any problem.

yes VDSL modems will only work with mtnl ftth connections; yes you can buy from the market and install it yourself. mtnl will also help you install it if you have any problem.

Can you recommend any? I am sort of clueless on this.

Did the firmware upgrade and the browsing speed has increased considerably. So, I have to thank oracle1974 for mentioning this in his post. Now, will check download speed at night.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back