Into the Vinyl world!! Where to start? - absolute beginner

noblejose

Hello all!

The title says it all! - Need your expert advise on starting the vinyl journey.

- Need advise on a good TT to start with (Pro-Ject Debut III, carbon, with OM10, Rega.. etc comes to my mind); From where to get it at reasonable cost. Looking for New or near mint condition TT - preferably in black color.

The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC) OM10 is costing 42K from HifiMart :sad: I've seen Marantz TT5005 for less than half price, but I do want a good quality TT that can serve me long time.

- Need to get some good Vinyls Records to start with; from where to source?? I am not much interested in buying big lot of used LPs.. I would like to stick with limited numbers good quality (physical) and would like to collect the tracks/ artists those I like. Used LPs - I'm looking for VG+ and above only.

(I am using streaming radio/ internet for music discovery - playing form youtube/ tunein radio/ with my laptop/tab/tv to DAC > Amp > Speaker)

What other things that I need to keep in mind? I'm planning to use my existing stereo chain - Marantz PM6004 (has phono input); KEF Q300.

Many Thanks!!

A Project is a good point to enter this stream. The one for sale shown above seems a good option. With luck you may be able to get something for a bit less.

However while I would encourage you to buy used, a vintage table (as in 40 years old) may not be a good idea for a beginner, since they require a lot of tweaking.

You must be knowing Rhythm House Mumbai is closing down this February end. They have some Project turntables for sale on discount price. If am not wrong the price of Rs 29k is slashed to Rs18k.

They are not shown on their website, but if you call them they may provide you with necessary details.

If interested please hurry as I think the last date of closing is very near.

Yes, I saw lots of the ProJect TTs. Didn't ask price. I think it's worth checking them out. Give them a call. Their numbers are there on their website rhythmhouse.in

Try Revolver Club next to Bata showroom,Opp.Vijay Sales,Sitaladevi temple rd.Mahim.They are sole distributors of Project.Cnct.person-Mr.Susheel Anand.
For your Amps an.d speakers try Norge Audio.Cnct.person Laxman.This is also on Sitaladevi Temple rd.Pl google for actual address.
Norge manufactures some great value for money systems

For LP's you can try Abdul Razzak,at Kitab Mahal,nxt to Suvidha Restaurant,Fort,Mumbai - 400001.Price range rs.350 to 550/-

Wonderful to see so many young people getting into vinyl for the first time. I guess your digital/analog systems must be pretty awful.
Since you are entering into territory that currently is quite expensive and getting to be even more expensive as time goes by , I guess you have seen what you will be up against later.
Trust you have planned well and will be earning multiple times what you do now. 'Really' good cartridges can cost around $500 and much more . The stylii will last an enormous 500+ hours ( if you are very careful ) after which if not replaced they will start eating through the albums irreversibly in one play.

But if you stay at the bottom end price wise, you'll get just that ! Lots of fun.
You can of course get budget components and if you just want an OK vinyl system, you will be fine. Do note that the Marketing brigade in vinyl is going laughing to the bank. A $90/- cartridge just 3 years ago was selling at about $250 a few months ago. They have seen the excitement that vinyl is creating.
But then this goes for all products . As soon as the market starts picking up the prices all start to rise rapidly.
Enjoy the ride. All kinds of music systems are fun. :)

I managed to edit this post in time. :)
Basically I just wanted to say that if you are switching or adding a vinyl playback system to your current system ,then a really good one will be quite expensive. Average priced systems will be OK but for that price you might get a much better digital system...maybe ! New vinyl is quite expensive and maintaining it can really be a pain. People who used a lot of vinyl when vinyl was king always hated the cleaning routine. No matter how clean you keep things it will still have clicks and pops eventually.
Biggest advantage is that in vinyl you can get great old recordings that never made it to digital....and there are tons of that.

But no matter what, it IS FUN ! :)
Just spend cautiously or you can end up overspending ! So you need to do a fair amount of research into what you are getting into. Whether its worth it, only depends on 'how happy YOU feel'. I think there is no other metric for that. It's all yours ! :)
Trust you will have a great time !
Cheers.

Last edited:
If you are Bangalore-based, take a look at Denon TTs. They cost much less. You can audition them at The HT store, J P Nagar.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back