Intriguing inquiry, are floor-stand speakers always better than active speakers?

preston8452

Hi guys,

Just a general wondering though, nowadays I've seen a lot of new active speakers, and truth to be told, I find them quite professional indeed, when I go into an audio shop and ask some advice, some might even encourage to purchase the bookshelf speakers, as they're more cost-effective and space-saving hahah.

All that asides, regarding the sound quality matter, it ain't bad at all, but I'm not sure if it's my living room just not that big or some technical matters, the sound experience is actually vivid, but yeah I also think when you put the extra circuit inside the speaker for amplifying use, it'd certainly affect the original performance more or less. Especially under this digital streaming era, every part seems to be specifically separated, so it can perform to its fullest, and lessen the interference between each device.

Anyways, let me know what you think, I'd be grateful, or maybe share you existing setup with us!

Best,

Hi guys,

Just a general wondering though, nowadays I've seen a lot of new active speakers, and truth to be told, I find them quite professional indeed, when I go into an audio shop and ask some advice, some might even encourage to purchase the bookshelf speakers, as they're more cost-effective and space-saving hahah.

All that asides, regarding the sound quality matter, it ain't bad at all, but I'm not sure if it's my living room just not that big or some technical matters, the sound experience is actually vivid, but yeah I also think when you put the extra circuit inside the speaker for amplifying use, it'd certainly affect the original performance more or less. Especially under this digital streaming era, every part seems to be specifically separated, so it can perform to its fullest, and lessen the interference between each device.

Anyways, let me know what you think, I'd be grateful, or maybe share you existing setup with us!

Best,

The answer , as always in Audio, is "It depends" since you do have active floorstanders as well ! I assume you mean Active Bookshelves/Standmounts

There is enough content available on benefits of Active but mainly it has amplifiers specific to each driver and crossovers are active and not passive hence more efficient and being designed together takes care of the 2nd most important synergy required in a system that of Amp+Speaker. additionally in terms of space you save the space for the amplifier and todays actives come in with a dac also built in so its really all in one.

Again for most bookshelves, it does need a stand to perform best so in terms of cost and floorspace you need to factor the stand. being old school i am not sure on if they can work as well just plonking on to a bookshelf

But all this will be liked by you only if the design sound signature is something you buy in to.

Passives ( Floorstanders in your question) give you flexibility but at the cost of space for an amp and challenges around synergy till you get it right) but on the other side you get more options to tune the sound to some extent( sine >50% is by the speaker) with the right Amp

On a 1:1comparison floorstanders do not necessarily give you more bass unless they have been designed so but come with a "Built in Stand" but as you go higher in the value chain you do need larger cabinets and drivers for more bass and presence hence speakers do get larger and at some point makes sense that its a floorstander ! but this is not necessarily so since many full rangers like ATC/PMC etc do have larger standpoints as well.

But overall for the most bang for the buck and synergistic combination, nothing to beat a =n Active as long as you ensure the sound is to your liking

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Best,
To compensate for a subwoofer, many go for towers or floor standers. It can really be the audiophile snob's favorite toy. Active speakers to those elite connoisseurs are child's play and do not appreciate them.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back