Iomega Screenplay Director HD - A good buy?

WHATSINANAME

Hi,
While there is a lot of info on WDTV Live, Xtreamer and even Playon HD on this forum, no one seems to have mentioned this new Iomega model. While there are some (mostly negative) views on the earlier Iomega Screenplay Pro, this one is not considered inspite of seeming to pack in a lot of features in a good price (10,750 approx on eBay). Some reviews on the net also suggest that this corrects a lot of the shortcomings of the Pro model (like lack of some .mkv and subtitle file support.)

img_196962_143.jpg

So far, the only drawbacks seem to be:

1. a slightly slow start up;
2. Interface struggles with large media collections "particularly large music or movie collections though we're talking tens of thousands of titles might find the navigation through the folder structure a tedious process";
3. "UI could be better"
4. jitter on particularly large bit-rate files "this is only a 100/10Mbit interface, so if you happen to have any files with a greater than 12.5MB/s bit-rate (including audio, remember), you'll find playback just a bit jittery"

img_196992_rear.jpg

What I would like to know from the gurus is that is it worth going for keeping in mind the fact that I like the idea of an inbuilt hard disk to keep all my movie and audio files. Having another seperate HDD to clutter up my living room space does not really appeal. And buying a MP and an internal HDD seperately (the Playon HD, for e.g.) would work out to be a much more expensive option.

From product site:

Overview

Enjoy a complete media experience with the feature-rich Iomega ScreenPlay Director HD Media Player, USB 2.0/AV/Ethernet. With full 1080p high definition (24 fps) and up to 2TB of space to save your files. This high-definition multimedia player connects easily to your home network to store & access your videos, music and photo collections. Easily browse your network to select stored videos and view on your home theatre or access online content with the convenient remote. Compatible with the latest media formats such as H.264, MP3, AC3 (Dolby Digital Encoding), WAV, WMA, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (AVI/VOB), MPEG-4 (AVI/XViD), DivX and JPEG. It supports the Iomega USB WIFI Adapter for wireless access (adapter sold separately). DivX Certified to play DivX video, including premium content. Includes Iomega Protection Suite software anti-virus and backup software solutions. The ScreenPlay Director is powered by an Energy Star qualified adapter for a better environment.

Key Benefits:

* Feature-Rich - Enjoy high definition movies on your home theatre; store and access media files on your home network
* Convenient - Browse your home network to select stored media files to enjoy on your HDTV with a touch of the remote; directly access online media sites; connect to your WIFI network (adapter required)
* Versatile - Supports many CODECs and file types including H.264 so you can enjoy your entire media collection; 3 USB ports for multiple connections to external storage, camera, or flash drives; Listen to music while you watch a photo slide show
* Large Capacity - Save up to 770 hours of video, 800,000 photos, or 500,000 songs (MP3s)
* Stylish - Compact enclosure to complement your home entertainment environment
* SHOUTcast Internet Radio - Listen to thousands of SHOUTcast Internet Radio stations on your home entertainment systems
* SHOUTcast Radio Toolbar - Download the SHOUTcast Radio Toolbar Free

Specifications:

* Interfaces - 10/100 Ethernet, USB 2.0, AV
* Wireless Ready - Supports Iomega USB WIFI adapter for wireless access up to 802.11b/g/n (adapter sold separately)
* Video: MPEG-1; MPEG-2 (AVI/VOB); MPEG-4 (AVI/XViD), DivX, H.264; WMV; ACVCHD
* Audio: MP3, AC3 (Dolby Digital Encoding), WAV, OGG, WMA, AAC
* Photos: JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF
* Resolution: full 1080p High-Definition (24fps)
* File types: .mkv, .avi, .asf, .iso, .vob, .mp4, .mov, .wmv, .flv
* Standards: NTSC/PAL
* AV connections: HDMI, composite video, audio R/L; component video: Y, Pb, Pr, optical audio
* Hard drive format: NTFS (default), FAT32

What You Get

* Iomega ScreenPlay Director Multimedia Player
* One remote control
* One power supply
* One HDMI cable
* One USB cable
* One composite video cable
* One Quick Start Guide and Solution CD
o FAT32 format utility
o ScreenPlay Discovery Tool
* Iomega Protection Suite Software
o Iomega Quik Protect
o Retrospect Express HD (PC)
o Retrospect Express for Mac
o MozyHome Online Backup 2GB Free (PC/Mac)
o Trend Micro Internet Security - 1 year Free (PC) (via download)
* Three year limited warranty with product registration

Tech Specs

Media Formats

* Audio Formats - MP3, AC3 (Dolby Digital Encoding), WAV, OGG, WMA, AAC
* Video Formats - MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (AVI/VOB), MPEG-4 (AVI/XViD), DivX, H.264, WMV, AVCHD
* Photo Formats - JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG and TIFF
* File Types - .mkv, .avi, .asf, .iso, .vob, .mp4, .mov, .wmv, .flv
* PAL/NTSC - Full 1080p high definition (24 fps)
* AV Connections - HDMI, Composite video and audio R/L; Component video: Y, Pb, Pr, optical audio
* Hard drive format: NTFS (default), FAT32

Interfaces

* USB 2.0 (USB 1.1 backwards compatible); 3X USB Host ports for external storage
* 10/100 Ethernet
* Wireless Ready - supports Iomega USB WIFI adapter for wireless access up to 802.11 b/g/n (adapter sold separately)
* AV Connections:
o Composite video and audio R/L
o Component video: Y, Pb, Pr (480i/480p)
o Optical S/PDIF output
o HDMI

External USB Drive Format

* NTFS (default)
* FAT32
* Mac OS Extended (HFS+)**
* Ext2 or Ext3

* Three year limited warranty with product registration warranty

Video review from Geekanoids

Should I take a chance on this or stick with the tried and tested (at least in India) WDTV Live/Xtreamer/Playon HD?

Thanx to everybody in advance.

P.S.: Google as I might, I did not manage to find what chipset this unit uses! Could anyone enlighten me on that?

Last edited:
My question, Why on earth would one choose this for 10K+ when player like WD Live POHD and xtremer Pro already have proven their worth and people are actually pretty satisfied with their performances......????

My question, Why on earth would one choose this for 10K+ when player like WD Live POHD and xtremer Pro already have proven their worth and people are actually pretty satisfied with their performances......????
I think this one comes with in built 1TB or 2TB Hard drive which effectively brings down the cost. And if you compare the prices, Xtreamer is 8.5k, WD Live is 9k, POHD is 12.5k and Xtreamer Pro is 12k and all these prices are without the storage which need to to be bought separately. So add another 4.8k for Xtreamer/WD Live(external drives) and 3.8k for others who take internal HDD's. And as other players, this also plays almost every format (from the specs that's what it looks like) so why not this also be considered another contender. More the competition better the prices will be for us.
BTW, I'm neither for nor against this player as I've no idea how the performance is. The previous model (Screenplay Pro) was not very good though but this model might not be that bad.

I think this one comes with in built 1TB or 2TB Hard drive which effectively brings down the cost. And if you compare the prices, Xtreamer is 8.5k, WD Live is 9k, POHD is 12.5k and Xtreamer Pro is 12k and all these prices are without the storage which need to to be bought separately. So add another 4.8k for Xtreamer/WD Live(external drives) and 3.8k for others who take internal HDD's. And as other players, this also plays almost every format (from the specs that's what it looks like) so why not this also be considered another contender. More the competition better the prices will be for us.
BTW, I'm neither for nor against this player as I've no idea how the performance is. The previous model (Screenplay Pro) was not very good though but this model might not be that bad.

Well even with 1TB HDD price comes to around 15000, so its not any better. WD TV with 1 TB HDD lands to around 11000. (6000+4500) Also the interphase is clusmy, some report the video file played in B&W. Audio support is vague (AC3 dolby digital). You have to install drivers in XP in order to detect the HDD. HighBitrate MKV files do not play well........and so on......

My point......again, when players like WD Live, POHD and xtremer have proven their worth in almost all aspects, just because this ones offers internal HDD (maybe with acceptable price as well), why would one want to risk buying this.

BTW POHD is <12000 now, I bought it for 12000 4,5 months ago.

Well even with 1TB HDD price comes to around 15000, so its not any better.
Oh I thought 10.5k includes the 1TB drive also. Correct me if I'm wrong..

WD TV with 1 TB HDD lands to around 11000. (6000+4500) Also the interphase is clusmy, some report the video file played in B&W. Audio support is vague (AC3 dolby digital). You have to install drivers in XP in order to detect the HDD. HighBitrate MKV files do not play well........and so on......

Oops loads and loads of issues, as I said I have no idea about the performance of this player. If they are not able to solve the issues with this new player then just stay away. I'm happy with my Xtreamer :yahoo:

My point......again, when players like WD Live, POHD and xtremer have proven their worth in almost all aspects, just because this ones offers internal HDD (maybe with acceptable price as well), why would one want to risk buying this.
All I'm trying to say is that more the competition better for us as consumers. That's it..:p

BTW POHD is <12000 now, I bought it for 12000 4,5 months ago.
All the prices come down only after I made a purchase :-( Wish it was less when I bought the Xtreamer.

Oh I thought 10.5k includes the 1TB drive also. Correct me if I'm wrong..
Ya, it includes everything. It is 11,999 if you buy from Croma in Mumbai, 10,750 on eBay and now I have a Lamington Road dealer who has quoted 9,990 with bill and 3-year warranty.

Compared to this, WDTV+HDD=13,000 (india bill and warranty)
Playon HD+internal HDD= 17,000
Xtreamer Pro +internal 1TB= 17,000
Xtreamer +internal 750gb= 12,000

But like Sam says, there are issues.

The question is, do these niggles outweigh the price factor? File support has been taken care of in the latest firmware update, but the slow start up and unattractive GUI remain. Of course, there is the Iomega brand image vis a vis WD, Xtreamer etc to think about!

Last edited:
Price is good BUT if those issues mentioned by Sam is still there then it's better to stay away from it. Afterall it's the performance of the player that matters at the end of the day.

The question is, do these niggles outweigh the price factor? File support has been taken care of in the latest firmware update, but the slow start up and unattractive GUI remain. Of course, there is the Iomega brand image vis a vis WD, Xtreamer etc to think about!

There would not be niggles, if the price is kept so low as compared to almost every player in the same higher price bracet. My suggestion WD TV is teh best bet out there. 3K extra will give you the peace of mine plus far better firmwares. If you are like too much interested in this player, research thoroughly, the problems I mentioned were few which I came across while reading few reviews and fourms online for this player, you do the same and do a more extensive reserach only then decide. Best of luck.....

I am getting the iomega without hd model that comes with hdmi, optical out and usb for 5.6k, i think it is a steal at this price?
Only thing i want to know is the playback quality and will it passthrough the hd sound like dd hd and dts hd master?
also hows the interface?

Last edited:
I am getting the iomega without hd model that comes with hdmi, optical out and usb for 5.6k, i think it is a steal at this price?
Only thing i want to know is the playback quality and will it passthrough the hd sound like dd hd and dts hd master?
also hows the interface?

This is Iomega ScreenPlay 500GB, am i right? Hey, are you quoting this price from ebay?

I would also like to see answer to the question above, anyone plz?

also hows the interface?

I think you are talking about the Screenplay. Is it is this one -> New Iomega ScreenPlay HD Multimedia Drive Brings High-Definition Content, via Upscaling, From the PC to the Home Theater System. If that's the one then stay away from it. Not good at all.

also hows the interface?

No it wont pass DTS HD and DD TrueHD, infact if we go by the specifications at the site we can'nt even say for sure if at all it would pass DD and DTS.................pray it does ....... My suggestion as always WD TV , may be couple of thousand extra but far better than this.

I think there are two products, the one you mentioned (Screenplay HD multimedia drive)and (ScreenPlay Director HD Multimedia Drive). The former one is crap, it just upscales to 720 and 1080i) the later one (Multimedia Drives by Iomega) atleast does fullHD 1080p. But the audio part is dicely, no mention about the 5.1 surround support forget about DTS, DD or HD audio.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back