IP Camera - Home Security

kmathan88

I am looking for a good IP camera system for basic home monitoring. I need maximum of two outdoor camera. Wiring is possible.
Camera will be placed in door access and in parking lot, So, mainly I need motion detection recording. Stable mobile app is mandatory for remote notifications and viewing, continuous recording will be a plus.
I have an option to buy from US. Please suggest,

1) Hikvision setup with DVR or NVR + 2 IP camera of some choice.
2) Synology or QNAP NAS + 2 IP camera of some choice.
3) Arlo Pro 2 or Arlo Q Plus - Good integration with smart home setup.

P.S. Don't want to go for any subscription based plan.

Not familiar with the first two options listed, but I can positively recommend Arlo Pro 2 with Basic Plan for most homeowners.

I use Dahua cameras with Synology built in Surveillance package and the Synology mobile app. It works like a dream.

@vasishta.sushant I saw good review on Amcrest camera. So you are using local storage (SD card) or NAS to store your clips ?

@[email protected] Your synology model number please ? It is a tempting option, even QNAP seems to be VFM. I like the HDMI output feature of QNAP.

@unleash_me Arlo is first option, but it is expensive and in future if Netgear decide to change the subscription plan, then we will be in trouble. Even Logi circle looks good.

I am using Cp plus system at my home and at hospital both. The camera quality is good. But the dvrs are a bit difficult to maintain because of the electricity (the DVR has failed once though that was after a lightning strike and the hardisk has failed once on a different occasion). They would be better off with a dedicated ups i suppose.
But overall Cp plus has been good. With good support and online viewing with no subscription packages and free lifetime online viewing and HD cameras.

Using Ring Floodcam and door cam and Drpcam pro better than Arlo and locally available brand....i will suggest Cloud storage and security us must for theft cases where thieves looted DVR / NVR as well .....

After going through available options, I am planning to go with camera+nas option. Idea is to get this camera or some equivalent from hikvision/ amcrest and invest in a NAS from Synology/QNAP. And an indoor secondary camera.

Hikvision comes with memory card option, so stand alone(in case NAS purchase is postponed) or 2nd copy to NAS. Review looks good.
For POE, I am planning to go with this switch. Hopefully, switch supports universal voltage.

Please comment on the idea.

I got an HIKVision set up installed at my place around 4 months back. Here is the break up:

HIKVision 4 channel DVR: 4500
HIKVision 2MP Dome Camera x 2: 4000
HIKVision 2MP Bullet Camera x 2: 4000
1TB HDD: 3750
Power Supply: 900
Cabling was done at a cost of 50 bucks per meter (Was quoted anywhere from 50 -100 bucks/meter for cabling. This includes the cost of the wire, pvc pipe, installation of the DVR etc)

I also wanted to go the wireless route but our Indian walls are too thick for Wifi Signals to work properly, especially across floors.

Hikvision mobile app is decent. You'll have to use IE8 to access the feed on your computer.

Last edited:
I got an HIKVision set up installed at my place around 4 months back. Here is the break up:

1TB HDD: 3750
Power Supply: 900
Cabling was done at a cost of 50 bucks per meter (Was quoted anywhere from 50 -100 bucks/meter for cabling. This includes the cost of the wire, pvc pipe, installation of the DVR etc)

I also wanted to go the wireless route but our Indian walls are too thick for Wifi Signals to work properly, especially across floors.

Hikvision mobile app is decent. You'll have to use IE8 to access the feed on your computer.
Thanks for the information. You are true with wifi option.

How is the quality of camera for 2MP? Can you share me the model number please.

I think all 3MP and 4MP camera's are compatible only with NVR or NAS.

It is HD so quality is pretty great in both daylight and at night. You can zoom in a fair amount.

I don't quite remember the model numbers. I remember checking Amazon at the time and it was 200-300 bucks cheaper but decided to go with the local vendor due to support.

It is HD so quality is pretty great in both daylight and at night. You can zoom in a fair amount.

I don't quite remember the model numbers. I remember checking Amazon at the time and it was 200-300 bucks cheaper but decided to go with the local vendor due to support.
Thanks.

I am planning to get from US, how is the failure rate of camera?
Hope it is safe to buy since there is a good price difference for 4MP cameras. Mostly I will do the wiring myself.

You're getting only the cameras from US or the whole kit including NVR/DVR?

Most of these cameras are built to last, especially the outdoor camera ones. Get models which sell in India so that in case of repair there will be a service center here.

You're getting only the cameras from US or the whole kit including NVR/DVR?

Most of these cameras are built to last, especially the outdoor camera ones. Get models which sell in India so that in case of repair there will be a service center here.
I am planning to get only camera's now (this model comes with memory card option). Will plan for NAS later.

I got Synology 218+ with 4TB drive. Now finalizing on the camera. First I wanted a PoE camera with onboard storage (for event recording, in addition to continuous recording to NAS). But I couldn't find anything in my budget. Planning for 1080p 30FPS, wired connection.

1) Amcrest - No PoE
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I01Z1M2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AM1AKWRN957PC&psc=1

2) Amcrest - No PoE
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9SHSRE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AM1AKWRN957PC&psc=1

3) Reolink - Storage is limited to 16GB
https://www.amazon.com/Reolink-Secu...8&qid=1522787430&sr=1-3&keywords=reolink+410s

Please suggest me to select one. Max budget for camera alone 100$. I will order this week.

Hikvision setup with DVR or NVR + 2 IP camera of some choice.

DVRs have circuits for converting video streams coming from analog cameras over coaxial cables to digital data and then recording them on the hard disk whereas in case of IP cameras, the cameras output digital data which is then streamed over CAT 6 cable and the recording is done in NVRs.
The maximum resolution of Analog cameras is 1080p which is roughly equivalent to 1.3 megapixels.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back