Is 3d dead?

Upgrade to Oled/4k

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Love4sound

Dear Fm's

I purchased the sony w950c purely for watching 3d movies in 2015. Back then i had no trouble downloading 3d movies in blu ray. But now days very few movies available in 3d and atmos for downloads. This year only Alita battle and Aquaman i was able to download in 3d atmos. Apart from size(43) i had never felt the tv is lacking or not once seeing all the latest tv models i had the urge to upgrade interms of picture quality. I did plan in upgrading my tv to bigger size(get the same model bigger size) but the time i was able to arrange funds 3d Tv's had been discontinued.So till now i am adjusting the size just for the sake of 3d but watching only 2-4 3d movies a year i am thinking to sell this and buy a 55 inch oled or a 4k Led tv. I want to discuss few things as below in detail which will help in my decision

1.First is how others who have 3d tv watch or get 3d movies in atmos(Exclude getting original 3d blu ray discs).

2.Then i really want to know from oled and other 4k tv users do you really find a huge difference in your movie experience in 4k compared to 1080p bluray contents. And then there is HDR and dolby vision. Is 4k,HDR and dolby vision really that much of a leap compared to watching movies in 1080p bluray.

3.Then there is the oled burn-in issue. Mostly people who watch a lot of cable only reported this. For me i don't even have a set top box as i do not watch any television. So is it safe to assume to not to worry about the burn-in issue for using the tv only to watch movies using a blu ray player and shield

Please consider these 3 points for the vote and do leave a note on why you choose yes or no

Last edited:
IMHO, the 3D for TVs is totally dead. I have an old LG 3D TV and I don't use the 3D at all. In comparison the, the 4K+HDR/DV makes so much difference in overall experience, including adding depth to picture that it sort of make 3D not necessary. Also, there is lot more content available in non-3D HDR/DV format from streaming services even further reducing the demand for 3D.

Infact, I wish the cinema halls also should stop playing 3D movies. In my HT, I don't watch 3D at all.

Even if you look at the last few CES, the 3D is totally not present.

So, my suggestion is ditch the 3D and a get good 4k HDR/DV TV and preferably OLED. I'm using LG 65 inch B6 OLED for almost 3 years and not issues so far.

I have a 3D capable FHD projector (Xgimi H1), but never used 3D function on it.. I loved to watch movies (or) any other widescreen content on a large screen than 46 inch Sony that i had few years back..

Then there is the oled burn-in issue. Mostly people who watch a lot of cable only reported this.

Probably this is because of the static image (channel logo) on the screen for a long time..

for using the tv only to watch movies using a blu ray player and shield

May be you need a projector, whichever resolution you settle for ;) ..

IMHO, the 3D for TVs is totally dead. I have an old LG 3D TV and I don't use the 3D at all. In comparison the, the 4K+HDR/DV makes so much difference in overall experience, including adding depth to picture that it sort of make 3D not necessary. Also, there is lot more content available in non-3D HDR/DV format from streaming services even further reducing the demand for 3D.

Infact, I wish the cinema halls also should stop playing 3D movies. In my HT, I don't watch 3D at all.

So, my suggestion is ditch the 3D and a get good 4k HDR/DV TV and preferably OLED. I'm using LG 65 inch B6 OLED for almost 3 years and not issues so far.
Ok thanks for the inputs
I have a 3D capable FHD projector (Xgimi H1), but never used 3D function on it.. I loved to watch movies (or) any other widescreen content on a large screen than 46 inch Sony that i had few years back..

Probably this is because of the static image (channel logo) on the screen for a long time..

May be you need a projector, whichever resolution you settle for ;) ..
I so badly want to get a projector which will solve both my requirements as it will support 3d and size. Sadly I don’t have the room to fit a projector and screen. In my current set up my seating position is just 7feet from the tv. I actually planned to get a projector but wasn’t advised to get a projector for 7feet viewing position and it’s better to go for a 50/55 inch tv

Last edited:
I so badly want to get a projector which will solve both my requirements as it will support 3d and size.

So, there is your answer for your upgrade :)..

Sadly I don’t have the room to fit a projector and screen. In my current set up my seating position is just 7feet from the tv. I actually planned to get a projector but wasn’t advised for 7feet viewing position it’s better to go for a 50/55 inch tv

Even a 80 inch from 7 ft is good.. Anyways don't want to hack your thread when you are looking for responses on upgrade to 4K..

Do share a pic of where you have mounted the TV at present, this will fairly give some options on what you can do in your room..

So, there is your answer for your upgrade :)..

Even a 80 inch from 7 ft is good.. Anyways don't want to hack your thread when you are looking for responses on upgrade to 4K..

Do share a pic of where you have mounted the TV at present, this will fairly give some options on what you can do in your room..
The first pic is an old set up clearly showing the fronts. As you can see there is a slab. And even If I fit a screen below the slab from the second pic you will see there is a challenge with speaker placement. So a projector and screen is out of the question in this room. Other bedroom and also it’s impossible

Attachments

• C7E677A0-5967-4ABB-B604-D852AE506CA4.jpeg
    C7E677A0-5967-4ABB-B604-D852AE506CA4.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 4E4054F5-AAA2-4102-94E9-B554CA8AA2C4.jpeg
    4E4054F5-AAA2-4102-94E9-B554CA8AA2C4.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 36
The first pic is an old set up clearly showing the fronts. As you can see there is a slab. And even If I fit a screen below the slab from the second pic you will see there is a challenge with speaker placement. So a projector and screen is out of the question in this room. Other bedroom and also it’s impossible

I dont it's possible to install projector in this space, But if you are desperate, Still you have to push screen by a feet to front and hide the speaker behind the screen, Like how @elangoas has kept his center channel behind the screen.

Or any possibilities to move the bed near your current setup and use the opposite wall instead for speaker and screen placement?

I dont it's possible to install projector in this space, But if you are desperate, Still you have to push screen by a feet to front and hide the speaker behind the screen, Like how @elangoas has kept his center channel behind the screen.

Or any possibilities to move the bed near your current setup and use the opposite wall instead for speaker and screen placement?
No I already know it’s impossible to set up a projector and screen.

Hmm.. Still you can do, if you can go Acoustic Transparent screen and place L-C-R behind the screen.. The screen would come forward by a feet roughly from the wall.. But i understand the space crunch..

I dont it possible to install projector in this space, But if you are desperate, Still you have to push screen by a feet to front and hide the speaker behind the screen, Like how @elangoas has kept his center channel behind the screen.

Or any possibilities to move the bed near your current setup and use the opposite wall instead for speaker and screen placement?[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts as well.. But seems not much possibility..

The screen will be too front and then viewing distance will become 5 feet. Opposite is where I have the ac installed and it’s impossible

The screen will be too front and then viewing distance will become 5 feet. Opposite is where I have the ac installed and it’s impossible

No probs.. Was trying to gauge the room dimensions / sides and options, just to see if you can get large screen, which you wish for..

I have both: Samsung 2013 model 46" 3D and LG OLED 65" C8. Barely used 3D, no more than 10 movies over 6 years so yes, 3D is dead. Infact, if you are watching with others, I hated the loss of interaction that comes with everyone glued to the TV with their 3d glasses on. Now, coming on to OLED. I may be among the minorities but I feel the biggest difference came from increase in size, not as much from OLED or 4k or HDR/Dolby-Vision. In fact, when it comes to brightness, my old Samsung probably still beats the OLED. Contrast is another matter though.

Given the price premium one has to pay for a same sized OLED vs non-OLED, value-for-money can be argued either way, imho. Law of diminishing returns start kicking in after size increase....

No probs.. Was trying to gauge the room dimensions / sides and options, just to see if you can get large screen, which you wish for..
Well hopefully in the future if i can get a dedicated room for HT
I have both: Samsung 2013 model 46" 3D and LG OLED 65" C8. Barely used 3D, no more than 10 movies over 6 years so yes, 3D is dead. Infact, if you are watching with others, I hated the loss of interaction that comes with everyone glued to the TV with their 3d glasses on. Now, coming on to OLED. I may be among the minorities but I feel the biggest difference came from increase in size, not as much from OLED or 4k or HDR/Dolby-Vision. In fact, when it comes to brightness, my old Samsung probably still beats the OLED. Contrast is another matter though.

Given the price premium one has to pay for a same sized OLED vs non-OLED, value-for-money can be argued either way, imho. Law of diminishing returns start kicking in after size increase....
I actually watch movies alone. I love the 3d experience and i love the sony tv i am using now. Its 5 years and not even once i have felt the need to upgrade interms of picture quality. Well may be i should plan a new house just for the sake of getting a dedicated HT room :D

Based on my experience over the years with 3D media and devices.... I can say that you get the best immersive 3D experience on a VR headset with a FOV in excess of 90-degrees, followed by a large screen 3D projector with a FOV in excess of 45 degrees, followed by a 55" 3D TV in your bedroom with a less than 30 degree FOV, followed by a 3D viewfinder of the Camera with even lesser FOV.

Your 3D experience finally comes down to the "Field of View" when watching 3D media.
The best immersive 3D experience I have got is on my Oculus GO while watching 3D-VR180 or 3D-VR360 clip.
I watch 3D movies on a 120" screen powered by my XGIMI H2 projector wearing Active 3D glasses. The brighter the projector, the better it is... because active shutter 3D glasses cuts down the brightness by half.

And the good thing is that Hollywood has been churning out 3D BluRay movies on a regular basis. And a good number of 3D Side-by-Side video clips are also being posted on Youtube.

Same here bought sony 3d tv in 2011 but have only seen very few movies in 3d on it, even in theater i prefer 2d only.

Based on my experience over the years with 3D media and devices.... I can say that you get the best immersive 3D experience on a VR headset with a FOV in excess of 90-degrees, followed by a large screen 3D projector with a FOV in excess of 45 degrees, followed by a 55" 3D TV in your bedroom with a less than 30 degree FOV, followed by a 3D viewfinder of the Camera with even lesser FOV.

Your 3D experience finally comes down to the "Field of View" when watching 3D media.
The best immersive 3D experience I have got is on my Oculus GO while watching 3D-VR180 or 3D-VR360 clip.
I watch 3D movies on a 120" screen powered by my XGIMI H2 projector wearing Active 3D glasses. The brighter the projector, the better it is... because active shutter 3D glasses cuts down the brightness by half.

And the good thing is that Hollywood has been churning out 3D BluRay movies on a regular basis. And a good number of 3D Side-by-Side video clips are also being posted on Youtube.
Yes we do get a good number of 3d movies released every year in Hollywood. But not all are available for downloads in Atmos content.
Same here bought sony 3d tv in 2011 but have only seen very few movies in 3d on it, even in theater i prefer 2d only.
Well I have seen a lot of 3d movies and enjoy watching 3d movies a lot. Only reason looking for an upgrade is size.

Fully agree with you Rahul. Even I avoid watching movies in 3D. I had gone to see End Game unfortunately there was no theater screening the movie in 2D close by. The experience as most of the time for me has been bad. The print was desaturated. It was off course a mediocre theater not a PVR but at approx at Rs. 380/- per ticket I felt it was a total waste. I guess some theaters often dim the intensity of their projection to increase the life of the projectors. So after a few months I watched Endgame again at home which was a far better experience with better colours albeit without a big screen which was fine by me.
Another issue where 3D is concerned for a person like me who has spectacles for watching is that it is a hinderance to wear 3D glasses on top of your specs again. With the advent of qled or oled, the colours are so crisp & vibrant that you may not miss 3D. But off course it would still boil down to personal preferences where 3D is concerned.

Back