Is Apple TV 4K needed for Sony OLED TV

deeps007

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of building my first HT setup. Have started another thread for the speakers/recievers i should get. In this thread I wanted advice on Apple TV 4K or other streaming device that could enhance my viewing experience on OTT.
I was wondering if Apple TV 4k would make any significant improvement in PQ on my 65" Sony A80J OLED TV. Please suggest.
Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of building my first HT setup. Have started another thread for the speakers/recievers i should get. In this thread I wanted advice on Apple TV 4K or other streaming device that could enhance my viewing experience on OTT.
I was wondering if Apple TV 4k would make any significant improvement in PQ on my 65" Sony A80J OLED TV. Please suggest.
Thanks!
Hi Deep, the PQ and SQ on Apple TV 2022 (128gb) is superior to that I've experienced over the native apps of my LG G1 Oled and Sony X95G so I'd take a gander and say an emphatic YES!!!

And if that's not all, the new Apple Tv 2022 gives you the option of calibrating your screen through the iPhone camera to get the best professional grade PQ.

Also, it also doubles up as a fantastic gaming console with really good graphics.

Go for it! It's a brilliant device.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response @DB1989. Will I be able to set it up with a samsung Android phone as I don't have an iPhone?
Don't bother then. Unfortunately the apple ecosystem is pretty restrictive and while it ensures delightful experience to loyal apple users having multiple devices , its equally pathetic for non-apple users. To get the best of of the apple tv , an iPhone is bare minimum. While you still can manage using android phone , you will miss out of a lot of features that ATV has to offer . There's no denying the fact that ATV is the best streamer available today with its snappy interface and simple UI......... and the latest version is also lower priced than its predecessor.

Unless you plan to invest significantly in apple ecosystem , I would suggest to stay put with your default TV UI. At a later stage if you feel you need a better UI or streamer , you might want to look at FS4k max or Chromecast 4K . Both offer great value for money .

On a lighter note , you might want to buy the latest iphone and also airpods to experience ATV to its full potential . And that's how Apple is a $3 trillion company. While you want to buy a 15k device , Apple upsells (I would use the word forces) you to invest a lakh of rupees. ;)

Thanks for your response @DB1989. Will I be able to set it up with a samsung Android phone as I don't have an iPhone?
Unfortunately, you cannot use an Android phone to calibrate the video.

Having said that, PQ and SQ are still better than the native apps without any calibration in my experience... but that entirely depends upon whether you consider it worth the price that you pay.

Amongst the pics posted below, one was captured off the LG G1 native app and the other is Apple TV (without any calibration)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203-190215_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203-190215_Gallery.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20221203-190159_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203-190159_Gallery.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 68
Unfortunately, you cannot use an Android phone to calibrate the video.

Having said that, PQ and SQ are still better than the native apps without any calibration in my experience... but that entirely depends upon whether you consider it worth the price that you pay.

Amongst the pics posted below, one was captured off the LG G1 native app and the other is Apple TV (without any calibration)
So even if I don't have an iPhone, I can still setup/configure Apple TV...it's just that I won't be able to use the calibrate color option. I Don't think that's a big deal, as long as I am getting the rest.
I just don't find iphone interesting and that's why I haven't thought of buying iphone. To me , it's boring and bland in a lot of ways and you get tangled in apple ecosystem which is not exciting to say the least. I know majority would not agree with me and many wud be ready to pounce on me but that's how I feel about iphone.

So even if I don't have an iPhone, I can still setup/configure Apple TV...it's just that I won't be able to use the calibrate color option. I Don't think that's a big deal, as long as I am getting the rest.
I just don't find iphone interesting and that's why I haven't thought of buying iphone. To me , it's boring and bland in a lot of ways and you get tangled in apple ecosystem which is not exciting to say the least. I know majority would not agree with me and many wud be ready to pounce on me but that's how I feel about iphone.
Quite the rant 😂

FYI, i don't use iPhone either 🙂

Disclaimer: i do use an iPad Pro 2018 and it's just gotten better with age i.e. more functionality has been added over time and it still operates at break neck speed. It's a lawyer's best friend.

Don't bother then. Unfortunately the apple ecosystem is pretty restrictive and while it ensures delightful experience to loyal apple users having multiple devices , its equally pathetic for non-apple users. To get the best of of the apple tv , an iPhone is bare minimum. While you still can manage using android phone , you will miss out of a lot of features that ATV has to offer . There's no denying the fact that ATV is the best streamer available today with its snappy interface and simple UI......... and the latest version is also lower priced than its predecessor.

Unless you plan to invest significantly in apple ecosystem , I would suggest to stay put with your default TV UI. At a later stage if you feel you need a better UI or streamer , you might want to look at FS4k max or Chromecast 4K . Both offer great value for money .

On a lighter note , you might want to buy the latest iphone and also airpods to experience ATV to its full potential . And that's how Apple is a $3 trillion company. While you want to buy a 15k device , Apple upsells (I would use the word forces) you to invest a lakh of rupees. ;)
You cannot use an android phone because apple makes iPhones and apple knows about the color profile of its camera. Hence, with an iPhone calibration is possible. There are tons of androids out there and universal solutions just don't work.

Exactly! I don't understand the fixation around iphone and its not that I haven't used iphone...I bought it for my wife but I didn't fell for it. I admit it's great hardware and good engineering but why limit unself when you can have heaven. And now people wud
You cannot use an android phone because apple makes iPhones and apple knows about the color profile of its camera. Hence, with an iPhone calibration is possible. There are tons of androids out there and universal solutions just don't work.
Agreed. But except the calibration part, would everything else work with an Android phone?

Agreed. But except the calibration part, would everything else work with an Android phone?
I'm very confused. What "else"? I haven't used my Apple device to configure the Apple TV. What am i missing out on except the colour calibration?

I'm very confused. What "else"? I haven't used my Apple device to configure the Apple TV. What am i missing out on except the colour calibration?
That's exactly what I wanted to ask😛
Is there anything I wud be missing except for color calibration? I don't have a iphone at my hone anymore.

That's exactly what I wanted to ask😛
Is there anything I wud be missing except for color calibration? I don't have a iphone at my hone anymore.
Ha ha... My better half also has an iPhone but I haven't yet come about to the colour calibration yet. Will try it out and update.

But besides that, even on the functionality without an iPhone, in my books, which is purely subjective, i consider it worth it on PQ and SQ alone.

Not a huge difference (huge in Sony Liv as is evident from the above posted pics) but considering how much people on this forum spend on an AV experience, as i have, i consider such mild gains worthy of the extra outlay. 🙂

Exactly! I don't understand the fixation around iphone and its not that I haven't used iphone...I bought it for my wife but I didn't fell for it. I admit it's great hardware and good engineering but why limit unself when you can have heaven. And now people wud

Don't worry, when dolby vision option is enabled, color calibration is disabled.

So i think it is not a big deal if your tv is dolby vision enabled one.

Also one more observation is like when user is enabled dolby atmos option and plays dolby 5.1 video on any ott app, ATV tends to pass PCM uncompressed 5.1 but not dolby. Not sure which one is superior (dolby 5.1 or pcm 5.1)

I am using...i think Apple TV processes faster than native OS of Sony..and syncs quite well..not sure it enhances picture quality...or difference must be very fine..will defer to experts on that..
Incidentally, i bought both a new Bravia OLED and a Apple TV 2022 very recently and quite happy with the dual use

GE

Anybody out there using Apple TV with Sony OLED? Does it enhance the already good PQ or is redundant and not required?
Other than PQ, you should also consider the flexibility and ease of using various OTT apps in Apple TV.

I am using Apple 4k TV and Nvidia Shield as sources projecting through Epson projector. Apple TV is comparatively improving the picture quality over Shield, particularly on OTT content.

Check if someone willing to lend the device for sometime to experience from your locality , before taking a call.

I am using...i think Apple TV processes faster than native OS of Sony..and syncs quite well..not sure it enhances picture quality...or difference must be very fine..will defer to experts on that..
Incidentally, i bought both a new Bravia OLED and a Apple TV 2022 very recently and quite happy with the dual use

GE
Thanks for your response

Other than PQ, you should also consider the flexibility and ease of using various OTT apps in Apple TV.

I am using Apple 4k TV and Nvidia Shield as sources projecting through Epson projector. Apple TV is comparatively improving the picture quality over Shield, particularly on OTT content.

Check if someone willing to lend the device for sometime to experience from your locality , before taking a call.
Thanks, point noted. I can see that you have SVS Prime in your setup. I took audition and was highly impressed with SVS prime pinnacle towers.
Could you please share your experience with Prime towers and how much did you get them for? I am being quoted for a very high prices for pinnacles(around 2 lakh). Is it worth?

Thanks, point noted. I can see that you have SVS Prime in your setup. I took audition and was highly impressed with SVS prime pinnacle towers.
Could you please share your experience with Prime towers and how much did you get them for? I am being quoted for a very high prices for pinnacles(around 2 lakh). Is it worth?
You are welcome! I have SVS prime towers, very good for Movies and my usage is only for movies. I bought this from one of a very good forum member in 2018 or 2019. Pinnacle is a huge tower, but never auditioned.

Most of the AV gears prices are sky rocketing now a days, there are alternates for SVS speakers. You can try Emotiva towers, should cost lesser and have similar sound signature .

Back