Is budget DAC really good vs Mid segment CDP ?

sudhirbhosale

Hi all
Recently I bought non-pricey TEAC CD player 1160 as I wanted to test the improvement in SQ of CDP over my Pioneer DVDp. Looking at results I think its worth to spend more in CDP as I hve good CD collection.

Now I have two options and not able to decide quickly.
Option 1 - Invest <=20K:
Invest in budget DAC (Dacmagic, Modi 2 Uber, SMSL Sanskrit) and Use digital out from TEAC player and connect to DAC.
Benefit - May not get outdated soon, USB connectivity, can sell easily while upgrading further, more freedom wrt connectivity

Option 2 - Invest 25 - 40K:
Buy entry/mid level CDP i.e. CA CD10, CA Azur651, Marantz CD5005, CD6004
Benefit - Cant think much ...... May be some models can play FLAC

My questions:
1. Does budget DAC gives better quality than entry/mid level CDP?
2. There is no much difference between above mentioned CDPs and budget DAC?
3. Is it OK to use cheap CDP just as pickup?

Thanks

Option 2 - Invest 25 - 40K:

US$600 gets you a multi bit DAC.

which imeho is much better than the ds stuff for eg I have the PM 6005 (same DAC chip as the CD-P you mention). I would not waste that money if I were doing it today, post MB.

so a1) yes. if it multi bit :p a2) depends. i have heard the pm 6005, i have heard the buber. i dont like them DS things any more For the record, I have not specifically heard all of the ones you list. a3) transport matters I guess, but after you have the important stuff sorted out. I have only the ps3, a dvd player and pc to compare. no difference - all through optical outs. ATM I cannot hear differences across players, but that maybe just me.

ciaoth
gr

Last edited:
Good CDP will always win over DAC which you have in suggested budget. Suggest you reach out to some members in your city to get first hand experience.

Hi all
Recently I bought non-pricey TEAC CD player 1160

Now I have two options and not able to decide quickly.
Option 1 - Invest <=20K:
Invest in budget DAC (Dacmagic, Modi 2 Uber, SMSL Sanskrit) and Use digital out from TEAC player and connect to DAC.
Benefit - May not get outdated soon, USB connectivity, can sell easily while upgrading further, more freedom wrt connectivity

Option 1 Sounds Good. You can start off with just the CD Player and maybe try a DAC in a FM's place to see if there is a difference. If you see a difference, then it would make sense to invest in a DAC else you could just have the CD Player connected to the AMP. That brings me to, Which amp do you have?

MaSh

I believe there's only one way to be sure, test for yourself. You do have some active and helpful FMs in Hyderabad. Do get in touch with some of them and have a listen with an external DAC.

On the long run, CDs are bound to get damaged...I am sure you would already be having lossless rips for your CDs as backup.

So the best route is to invest in a good DAC with support for high resolution files, upgrade your source to one with USB playback support and digital outputs to connect your DAC.

Why are you limited to less than 20K with a DAC and willing to go up to 40K for option 2?
Do your research and invest on a good DAC. Choices are plenty in that range, if you can hear possible options in your system then that will be the best.
Lots of good DACs can be imported too via the ebay route, quality used gears.

A DAC will let you enjoy CDs and soft files as well, that always wins out. The scenario perhaps changes when you talk of a reference quality CD player but then at that price point DACs change as well.

Spend the most on a DAC, multibit/NOS especially if content is RBCD.

I'd simply use a Pi as source/transport and it costs less than 5K. Many of us are using it and find it excellent. Or put any old PC or laptop to use as a source/transport. Or use the existing TEAC.

The greatest ROI (in your case) will be from a good DAC. Bifrost Multibit or Gungnir Multibit will walk all over the options listed here.

Its pretty Open question. I if you have more than 30% Of your collection in Digital, then Go with Budget DAC (Below 20k INR). If you have major on CD Collection, get nice High end CD Player. I cant find the Smoothness of CD when its played from DAC.

Using DAC has giving more depth and dynamics but not the Softness :) ,just my opinion.

Its pretty Open question. I if you have more than 30% Of your collection in Digital, then Go with Budget DAC (Below 20k INR). If you have major on CD Collection, get nice High end CD Player. I cant find the Smoothness of CD when its played from DAC.

Using DAC has giving more depth and dynamics but not the Softness :) ,just my opinion.

Umm that is a very confusing post. "I cant find the Smoothness of CD when its played from DAC." your cd player has a DAC afer all not Santas elves playing the music.

What did I miss understanding ?

ciao
gr

If I were in your shoes, I would invest in a high quality DAC as major chunk of my music collection is in digital format. It is more convenient and you can always use your existing TEAC player to play your CDs and use the optical out. I guess it depends on how big is your CD collection? Do you always want to play your CDs for music? I would rather rip in WAV or FLAC and save the life of a CD.

Try to define "smooth" and "soft" please. In my book, this means "rolled off" frequencies.

Are you under the impression that there is no DAC in a CDP?

All CD players have a 16/44.1 DAC. The filters after the DAC will determine "smooth" "edgy" or whatever.
An external DAC may give you these choices:
- 16/24 bit resolution
- 44.1/96/192 KHz sampling
- USB, Coax, Opt inputs
- SE output or XLR outputs
- headphone amp, volume control, remote, etc
Each DAC + filter will have its own character. Some like Cambridge Audio have user select-able filters.

So a outboard DAC to CD player is an apples to oranges comparison. Go with what sounds best to your ears and fits in your budget.
Technicalities are important, but never above music content and listening pleasure.

Cheers,
Raghu

Try to define "smooth" and "soft" please. In my book, this means "rolled off" frequencies.

Are you under the impression that there is no DAC in a CDP?

I have tested my CDP with CD and BR Player+Dac (After ripping the same CD used in CDP). When I did A-B Compression, CDP just cuts off or rolls Off some frequency so the voice and Instruments are clear and make me to listen for long time , Where as the other has lot of depth but Bit Loud or excess of frequency, Still enjoyable.

Might be my CDP chopping the Frequency by some algorithm?

I know what is DAC not to an extent of a Technician, Just as common Man. I registered my opinion that it.

hi
I am keen to know final decision taken.
pl post .
cheers

Still undecided :(. As of now thinking to invest in DAC. One dealer in Hyderabad invited me to listen high end systems he is selling. After that meeting I can get idea what hi-end stuff deliver wrt the cost.

Mean time if come across good deal in used stuff then would buy that and then take final call before invseting in high range.
Thanks

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back