Is Car PC relaible or i can go for car DVD player?

edjamesx

I am planing to upgrade my existing CAR mp3 player with either CAR DVD player or car PC in my car. My requirement is most of the time playing music and playing videos in car ( i cant watch movies as i will be drving most of the time..for my family members to watch).

Cost of DVD player is 9k to 10k and the monitor again costs me around 8k to 10k.

So I thought instead of going for DVD player i can build a car PC with the same cost or even less. If i have a car PC i will have a lot of options and more features available. And It could be easily extended with any features (Like GPS navigation system ..we do today). And I could have a music and movies Library in my HDD and play them when i want it. And even i could add games in my car PC and Use the PC for browsing.

Where as in DVD player features are very limited and it nearly costs to the price of car PC..and it cannot be extented anymore. I have some few knowledge on car PC but..not much. I need serious advice from you all..

1.How much car PC is reliable in CAR. Since most of the roads in the india are jerky. (Where as DVD player would have been tested in these conditions ). Hard disk is the most affected component here. If relaiblity is the problem in CAR PC then is there a solution ??. Whether I can add any shock absorbers..or any materials to reduce the impacts to my PC.

2.If we park the car in sun light will it effect the PC. As most of the pc components are sensitive. Hardly we have a covered parking in most places especially in my city chennai. Is there any soultion to prevent the heating of PC components through sun light.

3.How do i hook up the sound to my car speakers from car PC. Whether i need head unit or just an amplifier?.

4.If i have a winXP generally how long it takes to boot in hybernate mode.

Also please recommend me a minimum car PC configuration required for playing music/movies.

Thanks !!

Last edited:
yeah you got it buddy.. its a carputer and lots of em have done diy's for car pc with
zotac based ion mobo and 7 inch touch screen..

and lots more

A carputer is a lot better than DVD player in almost every way. But please don't be misled that they are comparable in cost. A good carputer would cost much more than a DVDP.

The highest cost single item is the screen itself. Ex. A decent quality VGA capable touch screen (Ex. Lilliput) itself cost more than 10K and I'm talking about crappy resistive touch screens still...Add Capacitive touch screens, Transflective Monitor and we are talking north of 35K for just the display & TS combo. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what all do you want out of the carputer.

If you are still reading this, head over to www.mp3car.com where all the CarPC demons congregate...Its a great hobby and an addictive one at it and if you are not careful, this hobby will burn a huge hole in your pocket...Dont say later that we didnt warn you :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back