Is Energy RC-30 a good choice

Santy

Hi guys
Has anyone heard Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-30 floorstanders?
How does it compare to say Polk RTi A5 or Wharfedale 9.6??
Is it good in producing tight punchy bass?
Please give your opinion..

Hi guys
Has anyone heard Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-30 floorstanders?
How does it compare to say Polk RTi A5 or Wharfedale 9.6??
Is it good in producing tight punchy bass?
Please give your opinion..

Before getting discontinued, RC series was top of the line from Energy. I own RC50. They are amazing.

Go and look for some rave reviews of RC series on AVS forum. By the way where are you getting them? 2nd hand from olx/quickr?

But the RC50 has much bigger drivers. It is 6.5" vs 5.5" in RC30. I need deep punchy bass, wonder whether it would suit my requirement. I have reserved this used item for sale online, for now.

Today I auditioned Polk RTi A5 and KEF C5 at 5.1 sounds in Navi Mumbai. Polk was delivering good bass; KEF was a little on the brighter side and louder too. I was wondering how RC30 stands against the polk or wharf 9.6

But the RC50 has much bigger drivers. It is 6.5" vs 5.5" in RC30. I need deep punchy bass, wonder whether it would suit my requirement. I have reserved this used item for sale online, for now.

Today I auditioned Polk RTi A5 and KEF C5 at 5.1 sounds in Navi Mumbai. Polk was delivering good bass; KEF was a little on the brighter side and louder too. I was wondering how RC30 stands against the polk or wharf 9.6

If you like RTi sound, go for it. I know it would be a tough call. But RC30 are very powerful and can beat many 6.5" drivers. Try if you can audition RC30 at sellers place, it can help in making decision. I also liked RTi A5 with Denon but after listening RC, choice was very easy for me.

OK thanks for the inputs I am going for an audition of the speakers.
Meanwhile, will wait for other experts to opine.

santy,

i demoed the RC10's at Thump quite some time back and i am still amazed at the sweet sound the little speakers produced. The quality of wood on the RC nwas amazing. For me the quality of wood and finishing ate important criteria too and the RC scores.

I havent heard the RC30 bit i suppose it would be sweet sound.. as for the thump.. maybe audition will be the deciding factor.

I heard the RTi A7 at kapvins place and they are definitely good bass.

mpw

These are superb speakers
Ive heard them a couple times

better than the polk and warfedale offering for sure INMO

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I did audition the speakers, it was indeed very impressive. Firstly these 3ft tall baby towers were cute looking. :p The wood finish was nothing less than top class. It was wired to Yamaha V467 and played through Marantz CD5001 and a Pioneer DVDp. The mid-bass was superb, the mids were warm and the highs were soft but crisp. Just like how I wanted it to be. It was not fatiguing to my ears even after 30 min of audition at moderate and high volumes. The soundstage was good but not humongous, possibly because the speakers were separated at only 4 ft distance and listening position was about 12ft away.

I saw the drivers when there was thumping bass, they hardly moved; I wondered how it would perform if pushed a little further with a more powerful amp. The Direct mode on the Yammi was fantastic with good spatial dispersion of sound (overhead); it was heavier as well compared to stereo mode. When I heard Genda phool from Delhi6, it gave enough bass close to what the active sub of Polk RM6750 delivered when I checked them in an acoustically modified room. Impressive!

As Darashan said, these speakers don't sound like having 5.5" drivers, they sound more voluminous than they appear. It was definetly close to the performance of Polk RTiA5 (powered by Denon 1611 during the previous audition- Polk I believe had a better separation). I am sure the big brothers RC50/70 will be much, much better.

I quickly paid for the items and packed them home, its an excellent VFM. I believe I won't have to open my wallet for a long time to come, given the fact that I ordered for the Caiman too! :yahoo:

Thanks guys. I will post the pics shortly. Check this link

Total damage:

Rs. 5 for phone call + Rs. 60 for toll + Rs. 500 for petrol + Rs. 150 for dinner + Rs. 24000 for speakers +
bruised eyes (courtesy: my wife :D)

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I did audition the speakers, it was indeed very impressive. Firstly these 3ft tall baby towers were cute looking. :p The wood finish was nothing less than top class. It was wired to Yamaha V467 and played through Marantz CD5001 and a Pioneer DVDp. The mid-bass was superb, the mids were warm and the highs were soft but crisp. Just like how I wanted it to be. It was not fatiguing to my ears even after 30 min of audition at moderate and high volumes. The soundstage was good but not humongous, possibly because the speakers were separated at only 4 ft distance and listening position was about 12ft away.

I saw the drivers when there was thumping bass, they hardly moved; I wondered how it would perform if pushed a little further with a more powerful amp. The Direct mode on the Yammi was fantastic with good spatial dispersion of sound (overhead); it was heavier as well compared to stereo mode. When I heard Genda phool from Delhi6, it gave enough bass close to what the active sub of Polk RM6750 delivered when I checked them in an acoustically modified room. Impressive!

As Darashan said, these speakers don't sound like having 5.5" drivers, they sound more voluminous than they appear. It was definetly close to the performance of Polk RTiA5 (powered by Denon 1611 during the previous audition- Polk I believe had a better separation). I am sure the big brothers RC50/70 will be much, much better.

I quickly paid for the items and packed them home, its an excellent VFM. I believe I won't have to open my wallet for a long time to come, given the fact that I ordered for the Caiman too! :yahoo:

Congrats Bro. Welcome to the world of Energy.
You can connect them to a decent 100wpc Int Amp / Pre Pro and results will be amazing.

I was initially using my RC50 with Marantz SR5005 (Much better than Yamaha above). I was happy with them. Now I am using them my Piooner Vintage Int Amp. Mann.. Diference is so audible. They have started singing. 150wpc Pre+Pro is on the cards...

santy,

good choice. I would like to have a listen sometime. I pass by Navi Mumbai many times.

If convenient.. please PM me your number.

rgds,
mpw

mpw,
Thanks bro. Currently the setup is not ready. Give me some time; a couple of gear including a DAC are on the way, will let you know shortly. I will PM my no.

mpw,
Thanks bro. Currently the setup is not ready. Give me some time; a couple of gear including a DAC are on the way, will let you know shortly. I will PM my no.

Hey Bro. You also owe me an audition. :lol: I would be interested in DAC Audition with RC30. Please PM you Mob if an audition is possible.

Here are the pics :)

DSC04315b.jpg

DSC04312b.jpg

DSC04316b.jpg

The one on left is Norge Millenium

23092011003b.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back