Is it good combination : Entry level Amp+Valve pre Amp

sudhirbhosale

Hi friends
I am planning to upgrade stereo system. At present have 4 amps but all have around 20 W RMS. Thinking to go upper rather than adding one more similar.

I like valve amp but out of budget. So thinking to buy integrated amp and feed that with valve pre-amp. This would not full valve but hybrid kind :)

So I have below thoughts in mind:
Go for entry level amp having tone defeat button as I would use only Amp section. below are fitting in my budget:
Denon PMA520, Marntz PM5005, Yamaha AS500, Cambridge Audio - AM10 OR something nice if i get from used one :)
Another big problems is - No demo available for stereo setup as no much demand of stereo amp in market :(

I need advise to get answers for below doubts:
1. In two series from any brand is there any difference in design class and architecture or only feature and power difference? e.g. Marantz PM5005 and 6005 - only RMS and features differ of the grade, parts standard etc also of upper level?
2. What is advantage of separate pre and power amp setup. SQ qould be too great? Does only power amp have few components and easy to maintain? As one seller in Chennai selling NAD power amp for 7K. and Rotel 9K, not sure of model number.
3.Which models from above, sounds much great compare to price?
4. If I buy vintage amp, then are there expert available in Hyderabad who can do re-capping of capacitors?
5. Yamaha brand have more confusion - AS500 got good reviews but discontinued and available is R-S500 with tuner. Does both has same quality amplifier section? I heard, models with tuner are not that great
6. Any good kit available to build valve amp ? I can see this as option too.
7. Is it possible to get discontinued / demo models with lesser price?

Last edited:
Hi friends
I am planning to upgrade stereo system. At present have 4 amps but all have around 20 W RMS. Thinking to go upper rather than adding one more similar.

I like valve amp but out of budget. So thinking to buy integrated amp and feed that with valve pre-amp. This would not full valve but hybrid kind :)

So I have below thoughts in mind:
Go for entry level amp having tone defeat button as I would use only Amp section. below are fitting in my budget:
Denon PMA520, Marntz PM5005, Yamaha AS500, Cambridge Audio - AM10 OR something nice if i get from used one :)
Another big problems is - No demo available for stereo setup as no much demand of stereo amp in market :(

I need advise to get answers for below doubts:
1. In two series from any brand is there any difference in design class and architecture or only feature and power difference? e.g. Marantz PM5005 and 6005 - only RMS and features differ of the grade, parts standard etc also of upper level?
2. What is advantage of separate pre and power amp setup. SQ qould be too great? Does only power amp have few components and easy to maintain? As one seller in Chennai selling NAD power amp for 7K. and Rotel 9K, not sure of model number.
3.Which models from above, sounds much great compare to price?
4. If I buy vintage amp, then are there expert available in Hyderabad who can do re-capping of capacitors?
5. Yamaha brand have more confusion - AS500 got good reviews but discontinued and available is R-S500 with tuner. Does both has same quality amplifier section? I heard, models with tuner are not that great
6. Any good kit available to build valve amp ? I can see this as option too.
7. Is it possible to get discontinued / demo models with lesser price?

Advantage of pre+power is that you can keep the speaker+amp combination for longer time as compared to integrated + speakers setup.
But it comes with lots of headache; upstream component matching, wires, space issues, etc. Integrated amps are great value for money as they combine more than one desirable feature into a single box.

BTW, using only the amp section of an integrated amp defeats the purpose of what you are looking for (budget and feature). Tone defeat is a function of pre-amp section, not the amp. By going straight to amp section, you already lost tone control.

There are many folks on the forum who have rigged up pre-power on budget. Try reaching out to them directly and specify budget so that they can give targeted advice.
I for one rigged up pre-power on opportunity and relatively low budget.... :)
No comment on the specific models listed in your post, as I have not heard them.

Cheers,
Raghu

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back