Is it OK to connect headphone/Front out to amps?

gryph0n

I will be getting my first set of passive speakers soon. Will be doing a search for an integrated stereo amp soon after that.

I will be playing music from my PC via Asus Xonar DX. Now I have a doubt regarding the connection from the Soundcard to the Amps. The DX has only 2 types of outputs : 4 x 3.5" analogue jacks & 1 x Optical SPIDF. It does not have any jacks for Line-Out, although it can accept Line-In.

I have the (correct/incorrect) impression that when the amps are used with CDP/DVDP, they are connected to the Line-out of the player.

My understanding is that a Line-out jack would provide a constant volume/power output, as compared to the headphone outputs where the volume/power output varies according to the volume set in the PC (The sound control panel in Windows, or ALSA in Linux).

So, what I need to know is whether it is OK to connect the Front-out/Headphone 3.5" jack to the amp ? Any chances of damaging the amp or speakers if the output is too loud ?

So far, I've been using 2.0/2.1 self-powered speakers, so never really gave any thought to the lack of Line-Outs in the DX.

I will be getting my first set of passive speakers soon. Will be doing a search for an integrated stereo amp soon after that.

I will be playing music from my PC via Asus Xonar DX. Now I have a doubt regarding the connection from the Soundcard to the Amps. The DX has only 2 types of outputs : 4 x 3.5" analogue jacks & 1 x Optical SPIDF. It does not have any jacks for Line-Out, although it can accept Line-In.

I have the (correct/incorrect) impression that when the amps are used with CDP/DVDP, they are connected to the Line-out of the player.

My understanding is that a Line-out jack would provide a constant volume/power output, as compared to the headphone outputs where the volume/power output varies according to the volume set in the PC (The sound control panel in Windows, or ALSA in Linux).

So, what I need to know is whether it is OK to connect the Front-out/Headphone 3.5" jack to the amp ? Any chances of damaging the amp or speakers if the output is too loud ?

So far, I've been using 2.0/2.1 self-powered speakers, so never really gave any thought to the lack of Line-Outs in the DX.

Analogue jacks (stereo out) are supposed to be connected to an amp then to the speakers.

Last edited:
I think, if you use 3.5mm jack with y splitter cable, the gain will be less.As for source volume, you will have to ensure that you turn down volume on amp everytime you power off or keep an iron grip on pc volume.

Dear gryph0n,
The 4 analogue jacks are line-out and not headphone out. Out of which, 3 pairs are for Front, Surround & Rear surround each, while 4th one should be for Center+LFE. Check the documentation of your sound card for details.
You can safely use front out as line-out with sound card configured in stereo mode. You will need Stereo-RCA interconnect.

Connecting headphones out to an amplifier's line-in is ok. Audio won't be as great, but it'll not damage the amplifier or speakers. The voltage in headphones out connection isn't all that high to damage a line-in.

Headphones out connections have a low output impedance. line-in connections have a much higher input impedance. To add to the complexity the impedance varies by frequency. So all frequencies will not have same gain from the amplifier. In simpler words, some frequencies will be amplified more than others. Try it, if you find the sound ok, it works for you.

I second Anuragn, Gryph0n.

I have the Xonar DX too. The SPDIF goes to my AVR for digital multichannel and the Front goes to my analog stereo amp for music.

Enjoy.

You can and should always bypass/disable windows sound controller (KMixer) and use kernel streaming instead. This will provide bit-exact playback let you control the full sound through your amplifier.

Isn't the SPDIF out do double duty as line out? Atleast the manual says so...You will need a line in Y cable with RCA female to be able to connect to an integrated amp.

Isn't the SPDIF out do double duty as line out? Atleast the manual says so...You will need a line in Y cable with RCA female to be able to connect to an integrated amp.

No. One socket triple-times as line-in, mic-in & SPDIF-out.

The line-outs are Front, Side, Rear & Centre+Sub. He'll need to connect his stereo amp to the Front analog-out.

I'm running digital out to AVR (SPDIF) and analog out (Front) to stereo amp simultaneously now. I just can't use line-in while using SPDIF-out :annoyed:

Another PITA with the Xonar DX is the sockets are so close together that you can't use the fat 3.5" connectors that are on all the "quality" cables nowadays. You have to use the cheap skinny ones :mad: Or shave the fat ones :D

Last edited:
I knew i'd need a 3.5 to RCA splitter :indifferent14:, but I was more interested about the electrical characteristics of line-out vs headphone-out to an amp. askii2 has hit the nail on the head on this topic.

@anuragn, askii2, sqvare:
The DX manual is not clear on whether the 3.5 jacks are line-outs or not. The manual actually describes all 4 jacks as to be connected to "powered analog speakers", with Front-out additionally handling headphones. From the manual, I am inclined to think that the outputs are not Line-outs.

But you guys have addressed my concerns on whether it is OK to connect the Front-Out to the amps :eek:hyeah:

@marsilians:
The SPIDF's double duty on the DX is as Line-In, and not Line-Out.

I knew i'd have to go for a splitter cable (3.5 to RCA) to connect to an amp. I was not much concerned about the physical connection :indifferent14:

My concern was about the electrical connection. askii2 hit the nail on the head over this issue :clapping:

Even though I'm not convinced that the 3.5 jacks are line-outs, it seems that many here have connected them to amps without issues :cool:

@anuragn:
I'm not convinced that the 3.5 jacks on the DX are line-outs. My problem is exacerbated by the Manuals. They don't say whether these are line-outs or not. The manuals describe all the 3.5 output jacks saying they should be connected to "powered analog speakers". This inclines me to think that these are not line-outs.

@sqvare:
You're right about the SPIDF doubling as line-in.

Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong : Line-Outs have a constant output/volume. Since I can vary the volume on my 3.5 outputs from the PC software (ALSA/Windows Sound Control Panel/ASUS Contol Panel), these by definition, cannot be line-outs.

@gryph0n
I went through the user manual of DX. On the specifications sheet, it simply calls it anologue out (neither line-out nor headphone out). I think these line-outs double up as headphone out also. They have even shown in illustrations how to connect to a speaker system or amplifier.
And your doubt is about powered analog speakers. Well these are nothing but a combination of amplifier + speakers. Isn't it?
I don't believe that this sound card is designed to be used only with headphones, it certainly can be used to connect to line-in of an amplifier.

I am using D2X front out connected to Amp in which sounds good.
Using foobar improves it further.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back