Is it OK to use a "Step Down Transformer" with AV Receiver

vchounal

Hi,

I have decided to get Pioneer VSX 1019AH-K through my friend returning from US. The power consumption of this AV receiver is 350W and power requirement is AC 120 V, 60 Hz. I will need to buy a step-down transformer to use it here in India. Please clarify two things: -

(a) Where can I buy step-down transformer (350W) in NCR?
(b) Will there be any problems using such a step-down transformer with this AV receiver?

I posted this query on another thread but haven't received any comments. Look forward to experts suggestions.

Hi,

I have decided to get Pioneer VSX 1019AH-K through my friend returning from US. The power consumption of this AV receiver is 350W and power requirement is AC 120 V, 60 Hz. I will need to buy a step-down transformer to use it here in India. Please clarify two things: -

(b) Will there be any problems using such a step-down transformer with this AV receiver?

I posted this query on another thread but haven't received any comments. Look forward to experts suggestions.

I have been using it for my Marantz AVR for past one year with absolutely no issues. Only thing you need to make sure is you buy a transformer which is rated at least 1.3 times the power wattage of your AVR.

Hi,

I would suggest a step-down transformer, with a rating of atleast a minimum of 500W. Guru is a decent company/brand to buy and it can be bought from Lajpat Rai Market in Delhi. I am sorry but i don't have a complete address. You might want to check and ask some electrical stores. They ought to be able to guide you.
You should have no problems with a step-down transformer. I speak form personal experience, for I have been using a step-down transformer, which I got from the US, since 1992. Also, since 1992, every single A/V reciever I have owned, including my current receiver, has been sourced from the US and is 120V/60hz.

Last edited:
a different Q-will using 2 transformer (stepdown & internal)cause more power consumtion?

Hi All, So glad I ran into this forum!!... I 'm returning to India next month and I 'm looking to buy an A/V receiver - Eyeing on Pioneer VSX-1020-K which is akin to 1019-k in most respects. Have a couple of questions which I want to clarify prior to buying - your answers are most appreciated !!

1. The general power requirement for any typical North American A/V Receiver is AC 120 V, 60 Hz. Same with Pioneer-VSX-1020-k. A step-down transformer brings down the voltage to 110 but not the frequency. Now -
a. Will Pioneer-VSX-1020-k work at 110V, 50 Hz without any problem?
b. Does this cause any loss of fidelity in sound and/or diminish the life of the Hi-Fi equipment in anyway?

2. About the Step-down transformer - I have no idea how it differs from a voltage converter. Would this equipment fit the bill ? - Please check "VSD 1000" @ http://www.voltage-converter-transf...ansformers.com/deluxe-voltage-stabilizer.html Or is it advisable to get a "step-down-transformer" from a company like Maxine as stated earlier in this thread?

Greatly appreciate your inputs.... !

I have been using a step down transformer with my HK 330 (brought from US)
for the past 5 years. No issues till date. touch wood.

Hi,

IMO-

any transformer that supplies power to your audio equipment should be as far away as possible ( like 22 kilometers away at the electricity board sub-station)

so, if at all possible - buy that AV receiver which accepts line voltage at your home

do not forget that all audio /visual equipment have their own transformers that depend on large in-rushes of current during transients to perform well -

and imposing a bottle-neck (in the form of 220V to 110V step-down) will be a constraint during demands placed on the audio during movie playback

Last edited:
dear all ,

iam new to forum hi to all , and i would to express my good wishes for such a wonderful sites where peaple can discuss there need and suggestions.
Iam planing to buy reciver bit confused first i like to buy denon 1910 then 1911 , yamaha 620 and now iam 100 % go with vsx 1020
anybody suggest how the was performance of vsx 1020

3 way speakers whether they r better than 2 way can u tell me which company produces it
kal

use a good step down transformer that can take the spikes of the indian elec supply ...been using my usa bought amp for a year without an issue.

Just one note of advice...(I am old and outdated so this might not be current info but who knows if the helps someone)...

Open the top cover of the AVR. Check out the Power transformer. Often companies will use a common transformer for 120 and 240V primaries. They will connect both primaires in parallel for 120V and in series for 240V. If your AVR has such a transformer (2 primaries in parallel) you can avoid the step down transformer by connecting the primary coils in series.

Hope this helps.

Just one note of advice...(I am old and outdated so this might not be current info but who knows if the helps someone)...

Open the top cover of the AVR. Check out the Power transformer. Often companies will use a common transformer for 120 and 240V primaries. They will connect both primaires in parallel for 120V and in series for 240V. If your AVR has such a transformer (2 primaries in parallel) you can avoid the step down transformer by connecting the primary coils in series.

Hope this helps.
I dont think its as simple as that as the internal circuits will need to be 220V buddy even if you could tweak the Power supply.

I dont think its as simple as that as the internal circuits will need to be 220V buddy even if you could tweak the Power supply.

What does the Transformer inside the AVR do? It converts 120VAC or 240VAC (in the case of AVRs sold in EU) to something like 20-70VAC. The 20-70VAC is then recifited and converted to clean DC via a recitifer and some capacitors.

The Transformer of a AVR sold in the US expects 120VAC, while the one sold in the EU is designed to expect 240VAC. Both transformers eventually convert the 120V or 240V to something like 20-40-50-60-70V (depending on the design of the power amps and other internal circuits). There may well be multiple secondary windings or multiple taps from a single secondary for the various secondary voltages

All we are doing by re-wiring the Primary (IF AT ALL this is possible with modern AVRs) is changing the power expected by the AVR's internal transformer.

This simple conversion will not work with SMPS power supplies or some complex IC driven commutating power supplies but for most simple power supplies it should.

I have executed this transformation for many older stereo integrated amplifiers, power amplifiers and even guitar amplifers but not for a AVR so I am not sure if this is suitable for Modern AVR. Common sense says it should work for simple power supplies.

What does the Transformer inside the AVR do? It converts 120VAC or 240VAC (in the case of AVRs sold in EU) to something like 20-70VAC. The 20-70VAC is then recifited and converted to clean DC via a recitifer and some capacitors.

The Transformer of a AVR sold in the US expects 120VAC, while the one sold in the EU is designed to expect 240VAC. Both transformers eventually convert the 120V or 240V to something like 20-40-50-60-70V (depending on the design of the power amps and other internal circuits). There may well be multiple secondary windings or multiple taps from a single secondary for the various secondary voltages

All we are doing by re-wiring the Primary (IF AT ALL this is possible with modern AVRs) is changing the power expected by the AVR's internal transformer.

Hey Naveen,

Tried to read through service manual of my AVR (yamaha 665) and it seems it should be possible.

Would it be possible for you to take a look at schematics? I am kind of lost there. Schematics and pictures are on these posts:

http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge...tandard-without-transformer-2.html#post341846

http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge...tandard-without-transformer-2.html#post342131

Would it be possible for you to take a look at schematics? I am kind of lost there. Schematics and pictures are on these posts:

From the diagram is seems you need to connect pin 2 to 3 and 6 to 7.

I think all you need to do is rotate the switch.

What pins are connected now?

Last edited:
hello all,

i have just joined in and i need to ask some information!!

i have purchased a denon AVR x2100w for my home theater rated at 110volts and i intend to use it at 220volts region

Using the Step Down transformer does it has any drawbacks?
question 1) does it reduces the life of the av receiver?
question 2) does it effects the sound quality in any way? in any way?
question 3) does it makes a humming noise?
question 4) does it lowers the output watts per channel?

second option:
If i swap the power supply in the 110 volts unit with a new 220 volts power supply from a authorised dealer!
is this option available would it work, if yes, is this a better option than using a step down transformer?
Besides the power supply is there any difference between both the units 110volts and 220 volts is just the power supply or the other equipments in the 220 volts unit differ from the one in 110 volts ?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back