Is it time for Ultra wide Television (21:9) ?..

elangoas

Hi All,

Wondering why no Ultrawide Televisions yet.. Philips did it with Cinema series almost a decade back, when streaming wasn't popular as it is today..

With almost every other TV today, they come with Android TV in built (or) a user can add external Android TV box, as movie streaming is catching up a lot.. Most of the movies, are i believe produced in Ultrawide format (21:9).. We are used to black bars on top and bottom of the wide screen TV (16:9), when playing the movies in 21:9 AR..

Even a reasonable size 55/ 65 inch Ultrawide TV's should look magnificent in a living room (or) a dedicated entertainment space..

Why haven't manufacturers thought abt an Ultra wide TV at-least as a model in their line up yet?.. Is it time to see, Ultrawide televisions sooner in the market ?..

It will be really good to see TVs going into ultra-wide format. There are so many monitors now and they are getting a lot of popularity as well, for both movies and Gaming.

I specially like this one:
The LG 49WL95C Super Ultrawide Monitor with a 49-inch, 5K IPS display and ultrawide 32:9 aspect ratio.

I wish there were OLED TV with similar specs :)

Interesting. I was fascinated by Philips 21:9 but the dimensions threw me off. I think that would be the case with many potential enthusiasts.
It also requires subtitle adjustments and traditional TV programming was a challenge with vertical black bars.

TV series continue to be 16:9

I do remember watching some regional TV series in ultrawide ratio, don't recollect the title now..

It will be really good to see TVs going into ultra-wide format. There are so many monitors now and they are getting a lot of popularity as well, for both movies and Gaming.

Right.. If there are Ultrawide TV's, then Android gaming in Ultrawide should also be possible.. Even for casual gamer, it should make it a lot interesting... Windows supports 21:9 too, so that will make it more interesting for PC games too..

I specially like this one:The LG 49WL95C Super Ultrawide Monitor with a 49-inch, 5K IPS display and ultrawide 32:9 aspect ratio.

This is super ultrawide right..

I wish there were OLED TV with similar specs :)

That will be a perfect display for dedicated space.. :)

I think ultra wide is good for personal watching of movies or streaming but i dont think dth content look good on it

Interesting. I was fascinated by Philips 21:9 but the dimensions threw me off. I think that would be the case with many potential enthusiasts. It also requires subtitle adjustments and traditional TV programming was a challenge with vertical black bars.

The Ultrawides are going to be slightly wider than the wide screen, but large screen UW, would be best if mounted to wall..

I think ultra wide is good for personal watching of movies or streaming but i dont think dth content look good on it

Yeah, 16:9 DTH content will have black bars on either sides, but i think we would get used to it the same way as we have been with black bar on top & bottom..

I was just trying to see, how much wider would a 21:9 TV, compared to most common 16:9 TV available in the market..

I took the 55 inch 16:9 TV as common size for Widescreen TV's and compared it to same height of Ultrawide TV size and it shows 68 inch is the equivalent size..

For a 21:9 movie playing on a 16:9 TV with black bars on top and bottom, the effective 21:9 area use is 52 inches..

But on 21:9 TV of the same height as 55 inch 16:9 TV, the diagonal size is 69 inches.. Almost 17 inches bigger, diagonal picture..

Comparing the width of these TV's, the Ultrawide TV is abt 14 - 15 inches more than usual 16:9 TV, for the same height..

I use a 29 inch 21:9 monitor alongside with a 24 inch for my laptop. I realised then that still most of our content is 16:9 as rhe number of times i see "grey bars" . Also the screen looks way smaller than it is. Since the size is measured diagonally, my 29 inch is smaller in height than 24 , 16:9. Also grey bars on sides is more annoying than on top and bottom somehow. May be i am too used to see them above and below. But gaming on ultrawide is a totally better experience.

I have a friend who has the philips 21:9 tv and its totally a weird tv imo. Somhow on computer i can acvept that than on a tv screen. I think a large oled is the best of both worlds as during black bars on oled it looks only like a large bezel or whrn light is dim it totally looks like a 21:9 tv. But honesltly 55 is not a big screen size for watching 21:9 content

I use a 29 inch 21:9 monitor alongside with a 24 inch for my laptop. I realised then that still most of our content is 16:9 as rhe number of times i see "grey bars" . Also the screen looks way smaller than it is. Since the size is measured diagonally, my 29 inch is smaller in height than 24 , 16:9. Also grey bars on sides is more annoying than on top and bottom somehow. May be i am too used to see them above and below. But gaming on ultrawide is a totally better experience.

I too use a 29 inch Ultrawide Monitor from LG and have it with my laptop. When i watch a movie trailer in youtube or streaming sites, the whole screen fills, and is really nice.. Just thought, it should be even good if it is a bigger display especially for movies..

I have a friend who has the philips 21:9 tv and its totally a weird tv imo. Somhow on computer i can acvept that than on a tv screen. I think a large oled is the best of both worlds as during black bars on oled it looks only like a large bezel or whrn light is dim it totally looks like a 21:9 tv. But honesltly 55 is not a big screen size for watching 21:9 content

Oh k.. I understand the height of UW are less compared to widescreen of same size.. Hence for the same reason, i was trying to approx in the above calculation, keeping height as same and comparing the area..

In the early days of widescreen television, we had lot of 4:3 content from SD STB, which was stretched to fit on 16:9 TV's.. It was manageable.. In that regard, may be if the 16:9 image is stretched to fit 21:9 screen, it may not not look that worse, compared to 4:3 being stretched to fit 16:9 screen..

I too use a 29 inch Ultrawide Monitor from LG and have it with my laptop. When i watch a movie trailer in youtube or streaming sites, the whole screen fills, and is really nice.. Just thought, it should be even good if it is a bigger display especially for movies..

Oh k.. I understand the height of UW are less compared to widescreen of same size.. Hence for the same reason, i was trying to approx in the above calculation, keeping height as same and comparing the area..

In the early days of widescreen television, we had lot of 4:3 content from SD STB, which was stretched to fit on 16:9 TV's.. It was manageable.. In that regard, may be if the 16:9 image is stretched to fit 21:9 screen, it may not not look that worse, compared to 4:3 being stretched to fit 16:9 screen..
I think at the viewing distance of a monitor the currently feasible best option would be just to get a 38 inch 1440p curved ultrawide. I fancy getting one of them in the future. But they are expensive ;)

I think at the viewing distance of a monitor the currently feasible best option would be just to get a 38 inch 1440p curved ultrawide. I fancy getting one of them in the future. But they are expensive ;)

Xiaomi recently launched the 34 inch UW 1440p recently.. Hopefully if they manufacture in India, it should keep the price down..

Hi All,

Wondering why no Ultrawide Televisions yet.. Philips did it with Cinema series almost a decade back, when streaming wasn't popular as it is today..

With almost every other TV today, they come with Android TV in built (or) a user can add external Android TV box, as movie streaming is catching up a lot.. Most of the movies, are i believe produced in Ultrawide format (21:9).. We are used to black bars on top and bottom of the wide screen TV (16:9), when playing the movies in 21:9 AR..

Even a reasonable size 55/ 65 inch Ultrawide TV's should look magnificent in a living room (or) a dedicated entertainment space..

Why haven't manufacturers thought abt an Ultra wide TV at-least as a model in their line up yet?.. Is it time to see, Ultrawide televisions sooner in the market ?..

Majority of the TV/Sports shows are shot in 16:9 aspect ratio. Probably this is one of the reasons the manufacturers are not pushing for 21:9 screen yet. It will introduce a vertical bar when a 16:9 content is viewed on 21:9 screen which is more annoying the trditional horizontal bar.

Xiaomi recently launched the 34 inch UW 1440p recently.. Hopefully if they manufacture in India, it should keep the price down..
I think thats a monitor which was there in market in several other brand names if i am not wrong with a samsung panel. But the xiaomi version is better looking than others.

Edit: i was wrong. None of them were 144hz.

Majority of the TV/Sports shows are shot in 16:9 aspect ratio. Probably this is one of the reasons the manufacturers are not pushing for 21:9 screen yet. It will introduce a vertical bar when a 16:9 content is viewed on 21:9 screen which is more annoying the trditional horizontal bar.

Agreed.. If we happen to take most recent mobiles, most of them are 19.5:9 (or) 20:9 Aspect ratio.. Most you-tube content is 16:9.. We can either zoom to fit the entire mobile screen or watch it in 16:9.. In a similar fashion, either a horizontal stretch to fit (or) zoom to fit on 16:9 content will fill the entire screen of 21:9.. This doesn't look bad at all, at-least IMO..

If we happen to watch movies on mobile, there are very thin black bars on top and bottom of screen.. Thinner than we would usually find on 16:9 displays..

I think thats a monitor which was there in market in several other brand names if i am not wrong with a samsung panel. But the xiaomi version is better looking than others.

Edit: i was wrong. None of them were 144hz.

No Probs.. Right, it is 144 Hz.. Just my greed, they manufacture in India and add HDR to the display :D..

Agreed.. If we happen to take most recent mobiles, most of them are 19.5:9 (or) 20:9 Aspect ratio.. Most you-tube content is 16:9.. We can either zoom to fit the entire mobile screen or watch it in 16:9.. In a similar fashion, either a horizontal stretch to fit (or) zoom to fit on 16:9 content will fill the entire screen of 21:9.. This doesn't look bad at all, at-least IMO..

If we happen to watch movies on mobile, there are very thin black bars on top and bottom of screen.. Thinner than we would usually find on 16:9 displays..

Well, for a small screen 'Scratch-to-Fit' works but for larger screen >=55", it will really compromise the image quality.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back