is it worth adding an extra sub?

jitendra_2416

Hi,

I am having Yamaha RXV 583 AV receiver which supports 2 subwoofers. So, I am just thinking of adding an extra sub, but, not sure if that will really make a difference to the bass quality. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Jitendra

If you have space and budget to add a second sub...you will get the same bass all through out the listening area ...more gain as 2 subs are delivering the same frequencies....

Before investing in the second sub...check if the existing sub is enough....try placing in different spots....

Hi,

I am having Yamaha RXV 583 AV receiver which supports 2 subwoofers. So, I am just thinking of adding an extra sub, but, not sure if that will really make a difference to the bass quality. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Jitendra
Depends on your setup.
It might improve, same or deteriorate on how you set it up.

There is always a better Sub :) Check out the SVS subs or the Rhythmic subs.

Hi,

Thanks,
Jitendra

It all depends on what feel lacking in your room. Dual subs help in getting a more even bass response in the room. If that is what you are looking at then yes, it will help, else No. I use a Single SVS sub and do not feel the need of adding another. However, saying that yes if I see a good deal on an SVS sub, I will surely think of picking it. So its not a Must have, rather a Good to have.

MaSh

The main difference when adding a second sub will be to sound quality (bass quality). The combined subs will still be calibrated to the same level as before, which means that the workload of pressurizing the room will be split between two subs. Each subwoofer driver will require less excursion (meaning lower distortion), each subwoofer amp will require less power (meaning more headroom for greater dynamics).

More importantly, it is not likely that the peaks & nulls from one sub will line up perfectly with the peaks & nulls from the other sub. So there will be a certain amount of averaging, which will result in smoother bass response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips). With proper placement, you can even cancel the largest room modes/resonances to kill the biggest peaks & nulls in the room. Cannot do any of that with a single subwoofer, no matter how good it is (i.e., a sub can't cancel its own peaks & dips).

The main difference when adding a second sub will be to sound quality (bass quality). The combined subs will still be calibrated to the same level as before, which means that the workload of pressurizing the room will be split between two subs. Each subwoofer driver will require less excursion (meaning lower distortion), each subwoofer amp will require less power (meaning more headroom for greater dynamics).

More importantly, it is not likely that the peaks & nulls from one sub will line up perfectly with the peaks & nulls from the other sub. So there will be a certain amount of averaging, which will result in smoother bass response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips). With proper placement, you can even cancel the largest room modes/resonances to kill the biggest peaks & nulls in the room. Cannot do any of that with a single subwoofer, no matter how good it is (i.e., a sub can't cancel its own peaks & dips).
Spl doubling is not guaranteed. Sometimes one can get reduction in spl.

Spl increase ( 3db) will happen for sure when both subs are placed together. But the whole point of using second sub is killed in this scenario.

Hi,

Thanks,
Jitendra

You have received some detailed suggestions on benefits of dual subwoofer.. So, yes to dual subs..

I am having Polk psw110, how is it according to you good or average?

Getting a sub that can dig deeper is good, but is often expensive route.. Adding one more of the same sub for consistency, would be an inexpensive route for better bass in the room..

Last edited:
Spl doubling is not guaranteed. Sometimes one can get reduction in spl.

Spl increase ( 3db) will happen for sure when both subs are placed together. But the whole point of using second sub is killed in this scenario.
This discussion is about Music not HT..it is how the quality of the bass and how well fleshed out it is , not the quantity and sounding loud

It is good to have a single sub though you have two sub outputs as these two outputs from the amp are parallel the terminal of the AVR will drop the other sub the output at the first terminal will drop hence deteriorating the sound of the first sub

...the output at the first terminal will drop hence deteriorating the sound of the first sub
IF lower output resulted in sound quality deterioration, then the sound would deteriorate every time you turned the volume knob down or adjusted the level knob on the back of a subwoofer. Guess that means you could improve the sound quality of your system my simply turning up the volume level (output).

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back