Is it worth installing rooftop solar panels in Bangalore without government subsidy?

arnprasad

Hi All,

Couldnt find a forum to discuss solar installations in India and hence asking here.

(a) I live in Bangalore and my current consumption is around 320 units per month
(b) Today I got a quote from Tata Solar for 3KW at roughly 3 lakhs all inclusive (mono)
(c) My brother who installed same in Mysore (poly) - gets around 250 units a month on average although the promised units from Tata is 300 per month
(d) Hence on a simple back of the envelope calculation, if I spend 3 lakhs today, I will end up saving around 25K a year...so a payback period of more than 10 years
(e) Of course I am not considering increase in electricity tariffs, free electricity after pay back period...etc
(f) Unfortunately in Bangalore, Bescom could not enter into a contract with vendors wherein we get 40% subsidy.
(g) Most of the youtube videos on solar assume a very low installation cost, government subsidy and hence present a very rosy payback of 4-5 years which is not really the case, at least in Karnataka

Given all of the above - somehow I am not very sure if going solar makes sense right now. I am also looking at finding an Excel based calculator, wherein I can key in my existing numbers and it has inbuilt RoI calculator for 25 years.

Do let me know your experience if you have installed or considered installing but after doing calculations, gave up.

Bescom CEO has been making some statements as to why they could not find a vendor and promising they will enter into an agreement soon. I better wait for it or find another way of doing my calculations considering all the factors to see if it makes sense to invest today.

Also another related question regarding my consumption - it seems very high. Below is what I use it for
(a) I live in an independent 1+1 house
(b) I don't use the following: water pump, geyser, air conditioner, clothes Iron
(c) The heaviest usage gadgets include a washing machine - say 20 days a month, a 65 inch TV which say is on for 8 hours a day at least, one AVR, a 180 litre fridge
(d) we do use plenty of bulbs and tube lights but all of them are LEDs and hence they should consume not more than 100 W in total at any given point of time.
(e) I do have a UPS both in ground floor and one in first floor - am sure they do consume a lot to charge

I have changed electrical meters and didnt see any change in consumption. Is there anyway my house is "leaking" electricity? is that a thing? my house is 35 years old.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Couldnt find a forum to discuss solar installations in India and hence asking here.

(a) I live in Bangalore and my current consumption is around 320 units per month
(b) Today I got a quote from Tata Solar for 3KW at roughly 3 lakhs all inclusive (mono)
(c) My brother who installed same in Mysore (poly) - gets around 250 units a month on average although the promised units from Tata is 300 per month
(d) Hence on a simple back of the envelope calculation, if I spend 3 lakhs today, I will end up saving around 25K a year...so a payback period of more than 10 years
(e) Of course I am not considering increase in electricity tariffs, free electricity after pay back period...etc
(f) Unfortunately in Bangalore, Bescom could not enter into a contract with vendors wherein we get 40% subsidy.
(g) Most of the youtube videos on solar assume a very low installation cost, government subsidy and hence present a very rosy payback of 4-5 years which is not really the case, at least in Karnataka

Given all of the above - somehow I am not very sure if going solar makes sense right now. I am also looking at finding an Excel based calculator, wherein I can key in my existing numbers and it has inbuilt RoI calculator for 25 years.

Do let me know your experience if you have installed or considered installing but after doing calculations, gave up.

Bescom CEO has been making some statements as to why they could not find a vendor and promising they will enter into an agreement soon. I better wait for it or find another way of doing my calculations considering all the factors to see if it makes sense to invest today.

Also another related question regarding my consumption - it seems very high. Below is what I use it for
(b) I don't use the following: water pump, geyser, air conditioner, clothes Iron
(c) The heaviest usage gadgets include a washing machine - say 20 days a month, a 65 inch TV which say is on for 8 hours a day at least, one AVR, a 180 litre fridge
(d) we do use plenty of bulbs and tube lights but all of them are LEDs and hence they should consume not more than 100 W in total at any given point of time.
(e) I do have a UPS both in ground floor and one in first floor - am sure they do consume a lot to charge

I have changed electrical meters and didnt see any change in consumption. Is there anyway my house is "leaking" electricity? is that a thing? my house is 35 years old.
What's the reason for looking for an alternative source of energy? Is it because of the lack of continuous power, or the environment factor?

Solar energy is useful in places where continuous power is not available.
I had done considerable research on this and the costs involved just don't add up to make it viable. The general break- even on the initial investment is very loosely calculated to about 10 years. This is only for the initial investment, keep aside a good chunk every 5 years for recurring expenses to replace batteries.

Batteries are nowhere near being environment friendly, if that's your reason for going the solar way.

3kw for 3 lakhs is very steep. A 10kw cost me 3.75L after subsidy. Else it would have been 5L.
Cost depends on the efficency of the panels, lower the efficiency lower the cost. Monocrystalline, Polycrystalline, off-grid, on-grid blah blah

I want to install from a reputed vendor as I want him to be around for 25 years to service the 25 years warranty. I checked with Loom as well and they are also quoting something similar.

I will try few other reputed vendors but I dont think there will be a huge cost difference. Except youtube videos, no one is selling 3 KW at 1.5 lacs.

In my case I am going for on grid and hence no additional cost of batteries. The 3 lakhs quoted is without battery for an On grid system.

Hoping BESCOM finalizes the vendors soon and we get the promised 40% subsidy.

The quote given by Tata is 2.7 lacs all inclusive but due to some tall trees next door, they need to raise the structure some 5 feet and hence the additional 30K for that to make it an even 3 lacs.

The numbers never add up atleast in Bangalore. I did it for my villa community and home and it didnt work out. Though the Tata pricing seems more than what I was quoted (5kva for 5 lakhs). But it still doesnt make sense. The rated capacity for me is 12KVA which Tata wants me to reduce to make it more viable.

Last edited:
In a tropical country like India one of the biggest enemy of solar panels are dust settling down on the panels over time. Unless you have some mechanism to address this I shall not recommend any solar panel. The efficiency of the panels go down by 20% to 30% due to this dust and cleaning them usually is not a DIY job. With the mounting cost of cleaning services, this need to be factored in your costing. My 2 paise.

If you have a space for higher KW installation, please do so. I was evaluating solar for my society. What I understood was that cost goes down with higher capacity. You can pump the excess back to the grid. As Hari mentioned, dust is the biggest bane. You need to wash the panels periodically for consistent output. If you have shadow free area of 750 Sq ft you should be able to install 5KW system with space around to clean it.

I have finalized Ampus, a Petronas company for the installation. Finally Bescom has also finalized empaneled vendors and hence once can get subsidy now. Upfront subsidy excess power buy back rate is 2.67 per unit where as without subsidy, buy back rate is 4 per unit. Did a quick back of the envelope calculation and seems in both cases, the IRR is similar with without subsidy being slightly better.

My installation should happen this weekend. They have already dumped materials in my house. I live in an independent house and while my choice was 6 KW, seems I have little bit less space and hence going for 5KW (540X9 panels)and all inclusive cost is 3.6 lacs. Mono half PERC with Growatt inverter. This was 30-40K cheaper than Tata solar.

Hopefully at the promised rate of 120 units per KW..If I get 600 units per month, will use around 400 and rest will sell back to Bescom to cover my fixed costs and hence my power bills should be zero. Total savings will be around 5K a month. My existing bill is 3500. As part of Dasara sale, bought a 25L electric geyser..so that's a straightaway saving of one geyser cylinder per month plus bought second induction stove..so around 80% reduction in cooking cylinder expenses. payback period of 6 years and if it runs for 25 years as promised, the IRR will be in the 15-20% range plus of course saving the planet and all that.

If I ever buy an electric car - say 5 years down the line when a electric Ertiga should be available for less than 15 lacs :) I will go for another solar installation - this time more of a DIY project - this will not be connected to the grid and the payback should be much higher without the need for all the bureaucratic processes which I am going through now.

I am going for without subsidy so that you can choose the vendor and materials of your choice. Ampus is empaneled but they say the panels they use isnt recognized by bescom..not sure what the story is. Tata solar is not empaneled. Am sure the empanaled ones wont be very good.

While my cost of 3.6 lacs all inclusive is 50K more than what they show in youtube videos, I guess dealing with Bescom has its own challenges including extra special amounts that need to be paid.

My promised setup is
540 W Mono half perc X 9 panels (Longi make I think)
Growatt Inverter 5KW with dual mppt
8 feet height structure due to neighbor building, trees..etc
Pure Copper Earthing
Polycab cables
Net metering
All interaction with Bescom
Smart mobile app and all that

Last edited:
I have finalized Ampus, a Petronas company for the installation. Finally Bescom has also finalized empaneled vendors and hence once can get subsidy now. Upfront subsidy excess power buy back rate is 2.67 per unit where as without subsidy, buy back rate is 4 per unit. Did a quick back of the envelope calculation and seems in both cases, the IRR is similar with without subsidy being slightly better.

My installation should happen this weekend. They have already dumped materials in my house. I live in an independent house and while my choice was 6 KW, seems I have little bit less space and hence going for 5KW (540X9 panels)and all inclusive cost is 3.6 lacs. Mono half PERC with Growatt inverter. This was 30-40K cheaper than Tata solar.

Hopefully at the promised rate of 120 units per KW..If I get 600 units per month, will use around 400 and rest will sell back to Bescom to cover my fixed costs and hence my power bills should be zero. Total savings will be around 5K a month. My existing bill is 3500. As part of Dasara sale, bought a 25L electric geyser..so that's a straightaway saving of one geyser cylinder per month plus bought second induction stove..so around 80% reduction in cooking cylinder expenses. payback period of 6 years and if it runs for 25 years as promised, the IRR will be in the 15-20% range plus of course saving the planet and all that.

If I ever buy an electric car - say 5 years down the line when a electric Ertiga should be available for less than 15 lacs :) I will go for another solar installation - this time more of a DIY project - this will not be connected to the grid and the payback should be much higher without the need for all the bureaucratic processes which I am going through now.

I am going for without subsidy so that you can choose the vendor and materials of your choice. Ampus is empaneled but they say the panels they use isnt recognized by bescom..not sure what the story is. Tata solar is not empaneled. Am sure the empanaled ones wont be very good.

While my cost of 3.6 lacs all inclusive is 50K more than what they show in youtube videos, I guess dealing with Bescom has its own challenges including extra special amounts that need to be paid.

My promised setup is
Pure Copper Earthing
Polycab cables
Net metering
Hi, just finished installing 5kW Grid-Tied Solar System (Three Phase)
Panels: Adani 535W Mono Perc Half-cut (10 Panels)
Inverter: Polycab 5kW
Total cost: Rs 330K
I'm waiting for Bi-directional net meter.

Attachments

• IMG-20221116-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20221116-WA0000.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-20221122-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20221122-WA0002.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-20221122-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20221122-WA0004.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 33

My promised setup is
Pure Copper Earthing
Polycab cables
Net metering
Good read. How long do the batteries last, and how much do they cost?

I have two UPS now and continue using them like before. Mine is on-grid system..hence no batteries per se. Only off grid installations need battery and they jack up the cost a lot depending on how many batteries you need. Off grid may make sense in farmhouses and such. For a normal urban dwelling on grid is best
3.30 lacs total cost including all interactions with APSEB and commissioning? was it through a company or DIY types taking help from friends and family? Sound right. I am paying more as am going through a reputed company

Also are you applying for subsidy? how much is buyback price for unused power?

Mod's Note:
Back to back posts have been merged. Multi-quote back to back posts in a single post to reduce clutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good read. How long do the batteries last, and how much do they cost?
Most Batteries usually comes up with a 5yr warranty period and during my pre solar days i just had one 105 ah battery connected with a normal inverter which ran well for 6+ years.
Post that I've had that battery exchanged for a solar battery and got some reduction in the price (around 15%) during solar installation.

3.30 lacs total cost including all interactions with APSEB and commissioning? was it through a company or DIY types taking help from friends and family? Sound right. I am paying more as am going through a reputed company

Also are you applying for subsidy? how much is buyback price for unused power?
Not DIY, it is through a company. Buyback rate is Rs 4.10 per unit. Subsidy is only for Polycrystalline panels.

Did you get your net meter (the bidirectional meter installed?)

Hi All,

Hi all, i just got my on the grid 4.45kw Solar installed last month - All luminous mono panels (10 nos. ×445watts) plus 5kw luminous 3 phase solar inverter, wiring, Earthing, Fabrication and installation plus application form fee all working out to 260000+65000+10540=3.35 lakhs. Each panel costs 19k for the 445watts and about 23k for 535 watts. I went for 445 as it would be even numbers and readily available stock with thd vendor.

The thing is the vendor installed it on November last week itself. But the TNEB website was slow to apply the netmetering bidirectional meter request. Plus after getting through the traffic hurdles when i met the person incharge for solar, she said i have to submit a downloadable annexture form H from TNEB (tangedco)website, have it printed in two 100 rupees stamp papers and have them submitted to them in addition to online payment. This took a day away. The next day she went on leave!! Fast forward three more days, she collected it but did not send it to the section office where an AE's deputy will come for inspection and verify it and after which my countdown to netmetering will start. God knows how long that will take. So it is a little more than 2 weeks and i am in a stalemate situation with the EB office.

*EB = electricity board, TNEB = Tamilnadu EB. Tangedco means Tamilnadu energy generation and distribution company, a state government undertaken company that controls TNEB.

Hi all, i just got my on the grid 4.45kw Solar installed last month - All luminous mono panels (10 nos. ×445watts) plus 5kw luminous 3 phase solar inverter, wiring, Earthing, Fabrication and installation plus application form fee all working out to 260000+65000+10540=3.35 lakhs. Each panel costs 19k for the 445watts and about 23k for 535 watts. I went for 445 as it would be even numbers and readily available stock with thd vendor.

The thing is the vendor installed it on November last week itself. But the TNEB website was slow to apply the netmetering bidirectional meter request. Plus after getting through the traffic hurdles when i met the person incharge for solar, she said i have to submit a downloadable annexture form H from TNEB (tangedco)website, have it printed in two 100 rupees stamp papers and have them submitted to them in addition to online payment. This took a day away. The next day she went on leave!! Fast forward three more days, she collected it but did not send it to the section office where an AE's deputy will come for inspection and verify it and after which my countdown to netmetering will start. God knows how long that will take. So it is a little more than 2 weeks and i am in a stalemate situation with the EB office.

*EB = electricity board, TNEB = Tamilnadu EB. Tangedco means Tamilnadu energy generation and distribution company, a state government undertaken company that controls TNEB.
I had one meter each of 3KW sanctioned load for each of the two floors. I surrendered one and since I am going for 5KW solar, have to increase the sanctioned load on the remaining meter to 5KW for commissioning purposes. Its been 15 days since I submitted application for increase in sanctioned load and nothing has happened so far. All the discoms do is useless paper work and delaying things so that they can get demand bribes.

Last week my 540*9=4.86 KW was installed along with inverter. ACDB, DCDB...etc. Till BEscom approves increase of sanctioned load, just have to sit and wait. Have escalated to their chief engineer and it is moving a bit faster...but still weeks away till I can actually use the solar power. Very very frustrating. So 3.35 lacs for 4.5 KW compares favorably with 3.6 lacs for 4.86. In my case the vendor has offered to do all the communication with Bescom post which I will give him the remaining one lac.

I had one meter each of 3KW sanctioned load for each of the two floors. I surrendered one and since I am going for 5KW solar, have to increase the sanctioned load on the remaining meter to 5KW for commissioning purposes. Its been 15 days since I submitted application for increase in sanctioned load and nothing has happened so far. All the discoms do is useless paper work and delaying things so that they can get demand bribes.

Last week my 540*9=4.86 KW was installed along with inverter. ACDB, DCDB...etc. Till BEscom approves increase of sanctioned load, just have to sit and wait. Have escalated to their chief engineer and it is moving a bit faster...but still weeks away till I can actually use the solar power. Very very frustrating. So 3.35 lacs for 4.5 KW compares favorably with 3.6 lacs for 4.86. In my case the vendor has offered to do all the communication with Bescom post which I will give him the remaining one lac.
They are sitting over the files in my case. After this only bidirectional netmetering will happen that too will attract bribes for demand.

Yeah true. But when you install through reputed vendors..Discom bribes are part of the total price offered :)
Actually the vendor says it will take 2 months for processing and he said I would have to follow up in timely manner. I have not paid him in full. There is 35k remaining which he would only get after the on-grid gets commissioned. I have spoken to some higher officials and so let me see how it transpires. Also he would get orders of 3kw on the grid for three other apartments of mine if this functions and i get enough units to offset the bill i get bi-monthly. The other three apartments, i would increase the rent by 2k a month shortly and to justify it would say that they get lesser EB bills. So he stands to lose further business and so it is win win i suppose. Plus i wont refer him to other friends who wish to see how it works in my apartments.

And the government sells Solar installations as being so easy...just install..take our subsidy and enjoy!!!

In my case today on 14th day of applying, got intimation to pay discom money to increase my sanctioned load from 3KW to 5KW which I prompty paid. My solar is already installed..just lying uncomissioned.

1. Next step is for me to receive official intimation of increase in load (meaning discom systems are updated)
2. Then after 10 days of that..I go to them and ask for a provisional bill which has the new 5KW mentioned.
3. I give this bill to my vendor proving I got 5KW
4. Then he will enter into a PPA with Discom
5. Then he will install the net-meter (he confirmed that he is buying the meter and its part of my total cost)
6. Bescom will commission.

It was agreed earlier and today also he confirmed that post me giving him proof of increased sanctioned load - rest of interactions with Bescom is their responsibility - just hoping that I get a shot of tasting solar power by 1st of Jan - although 1st of Feb seems more like it.

Regarding subsidy - two years back I applied online for Bescoms Solar scheme...it never took off as no vendor wanted to get empanelled given the low rates. Finally they have few vendors now but as expected..none of the famous ones like Tata/Loom/Adani are in the fray.

After our dear leader launched the new MNRE portal in June - I applied there as well...difference being that if you apply via Bescom scheme - you pay net of subsidy to the vendor. However in MNRE scheme - you pay full to Vendor and then claim subsidy.

I am sick of tired of both schemes and hence decided to go for non subsidy one. But yesterday someone from MNRE called and asked why I was not applying for subsidy!!! weird schemes and even weirder response. Waiting for increase in sanctioned load letter..post which I will call the MNRE folks to see if I can get subisidy. Only issue is whether with BEscom subsidy or MNRE subsidy..they got too many T&Cs....I doubt if my current installation meets those conditions...but no harm trying. Lets see

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back