Is it worth moving from TS+ to TS+ HD?

s_anuj

I've been using TS+ for over 2 years now and have been fairly happy. Most of my viewing comprises of Sports, eng entertainment and eng movies.

I almost got a TS+ HD last week but backed off when I heard the prices had been revised upwards for both the STB and the HD channels (I have make my pack option).

The reason I was considering moving was:
* HD. especially ESPN HD...for prem league & Euro 2012
* more storage.. I use series link recording for multiple programs

My question for all the TS+ HD users on the forum is "Do you think the upgrade is worth it? even if the STB is now ~5k"

A sub question is: Are the high STB prices linked to the Thai floods driving up HDD prices? If so, could the prices come back down sometime soon?

Upgrade is worth it. But Tatasky come up with offers from time to time wherein you can expect a very good offer price. If you can wait for some time, wait else upgrade as the festive offer is just a hope.

the prices are for sure goin up due to shortage on HDD in market. if you can wait for some time wait till 2012 first quarter end and the prices for storage will likely go down for HDD's right now are on a 100 % hike.. 2600 rs 1TB hdd is retailing around 5k.. that explains it...

though i may be wrong but i feel that this is one reason for the price hike...

i had used tata sky plus for more than 3 years before switching to hd +. the latter of course has a huge advantage over tata sky +. no longer do u have to worry about space. hd stuff does consume a lot of it but even then u do get an enormous amount of space. the menus are slick. i know thats the last thing one would care about, but trust me it does make a huge amount of difference. of course, hd channels are the biggest advantage.

In answer to the original question, the upgrade is certainly worth it. As to the price, 5k represents an extra 2.5k that may come off in an offer or not. If you are impatient just go ahead. After all 2.5k is a dinner at a good restaurant and this will give you at least the same enjoyment!

Its obvious that you want to upgrade to move to HD channels. Even though few a present but they are awesome.One does not feel like watching normal channels again. :D

I dunno why they are not adding more to their HD Bouquet? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys... Looks like a straight fwd decision then :)

@ Shankar... very true :)

@ vktyagi... If the price hike is due to HDD prices (Cheers @theironhorse).. then they are probably not going to have special offers till that eases up.

@frnd08, @taureanbull... HD.. FTW...:clapping:

@S_Anuj, it is definetely a worth it. Watching sports on HD is just amazing. Since, I have the annual mega package, I get all the new channels that are added too. After spending a bomb on HDTV, it makes little sense to watch SD channels :) .

Got the Mega Annual Pack and it is indeed worth it. But there are only a few channels in HD.

One cannot watch SD in 50" plasma anyways.

@S_Anuj, it is definetely a worth it. Watching sports on HD is just amazing. Since, I have the annual mega package, I get all the new channels that are added too. After spending a bomb on HDTV, it makes little sense to watch SD channels :) .

very well put!

How is the audio of TS HD? is it really 5.1? and what about the connection? Can we connect it throught optical/co axial to the home theatre?

How is the audio of TS HD? is it really 5.1? and what about the connection? Can we connect it throught optical/co axial to the home theatre?

I've connected it via co-axial. My receiver does detect Dolby when playing the HD channels. I have ESPN HD so can't tell if it's true surround.

I have ESPN HD so can't tell if it's true surround.

None of the Sports HD channel (ESPN HD, StarCricket HD, TEN HD) provides the 5.1 Dolby sound on any platform. Currently sports HD channels are providing only PCM 2.0/Stereo sound.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back