Is LG 42 LH90 Series better than SL90 in Picture Quality ?

devmogra

Has any member compared both these tvs together.

I was stunned by Image quality of SL90 in my local tv shop.

But was not fortunate enough to see LH90 Series.

I'm not interested in slimness of TV.

I'm very much interested in Picture Quality of TV.

So please suggest me should I go for 42SL90QR or 42LH90QR

Is LH90 better than SL90 in terms of picture quality ?

Please! Help

I had auditioned both the TVs and more than once actually, but not side-by-side. Like you, I also found SL90s picture quality to be very good. I had compared SL90 side-by-side with Samsungs B6000 and thought SL90 was marginally better in terms of PQ. Before that, I had done a similar side-by-side comparison of LH90 & B6000 and concluded that LH90 had noticeably better PQ.
I booked 47SL90, but couldnt get it for weeks after the booking as stocks for the 47 model was taking ages to arrive. I ended up buying 42LH90.

Reason: I was trying to find a 47 model within my budget, but at the same time didnt want to compromise on PQ. I was convinced in terms of PQ LH90 was better than SL90. But when I started looking around, LH90 47 model was discontinued and even 42 one was also very difficult to get. Then in early Jan SL90 was launched. I liked it I thought though its PQ was probably not as superlative as LH90, it was still very very good and in fact as good or better than Samsungs B6000. Besides, I surely liked its stunning looks. So I booked 47SL90. After about 3-4 weeks of painful wait, I was told it would take some more time to get the 47SL90. The same dealer also informed me that he had just got new stock of 42LH90. Not willing to wait any further, I had fallen back on 42 models and settled for 42LH90.

You cant go wrong with LH90 in terms of the PQ, especially because of the local dimming technology that it has I believe no other LED-backlit TV available in India has this.
So purely in terms of PQ, I would recommend LH90 ahead of SL90. Also SL90 has a glassy front panel, which is a bit reflective this will matter only if you watch TV in a brightly-lit room.
But if along with PQ, the look and size of the TV is also an important consideration for you go for SL90. I had measured and found that 42LH90 has almost similar (overall) width as the 47SL90! And LH90 surely is not sleek.

I had seen both SL90 and LH90 side by side at ezone bangalore and my observations were as follows:
LH90 was much brighter when compared to SL90
SL90 was slimmer than LH90
SL90 had a glossy screen(which is reflective)

Apart from the brightness being better in LH90 I did not notice any other picture quality differences between these two. Both the TVs were at factory settings. Hope this helps

I demoed both SL90 and LH90, not with stock footage, but with a Avia HDTV configuration DVD and a hard disk full of content in different formats.

Picture quality wise both were superlative. However, you could get deeper blacks with the LH90.

SL90 was better than LH90 in the dejudder/anti-aliasing. I dont remember, but I think the SL90's handling of video files from the USB port were better.

The glossy finish of the SL90 was certainly a pain.

Finally I settled with a LH90.

OP asked about SL90 and LH90 Side by side comparison.

SL90 picture quality is indeed very good, but if I wanted an edge-lit model, I would settle for Samsung.

My observations were very similar to Spiro's. I thought SL90's PQ was better than the Samsung's LED-backlit models. Contrary to the comments made by the some of the forum members, I was convinced that SL90 was not just another LED-edge-lit TV trying to match the Samsung LED models, but was on par or marginally better than the Samsung 6 & 7 series LED models. And yes, the menu navigation/ response in SL90 is surely better/faster (as compared to LH90) especially noticeable when you play media files through HDD. The below thread had comments from my earlier reviews/ comparisons:
http://www.hifivision.com/television/7532-best-lcd-plasma-tvs-40-50-a-3.html

BTW, I had a final quote of 94k for 47SL90. So I am sure you can get the 42SL90 for less than 80k (at least in Bangalore).

Well for those looking edge led tv,the samsung bxxxx & the Cxxxx & the sony EX600/700 are better in pq.
The SL90 doesn't even come close to the these tvs.

Regarding the LH90 its a better buy then the SL90 .

@saumitra
The LH90 isn't the only led backlight tv nor was it the first ,the sony 46x450a was the first RGB local dimming backlight tv ,launched well before the LH90 .
The x450a again isn't the first led backlight tv launched in india. in fact the world first & india first led backlight tv was launched by sony in 2004 called Qualia 005 a RGB backlight led lcd New Sony Qualia 005 LED TV

I have decided on LG 42LH90, but can't seem to find it in any showroom in Bangalore. Can anyone help me out with it if you know where I could buy this model?
Everyone seems bent on selling me 42SL90, which is edge-lit instead of full-backlit.

You can Try Devi International in Jaynagar 1st block. Contact Shahid (9845195856) and enquire about availability.
Alternately, you can also try LG Shoppe in Marathalli Outer Ring Road (opposite Innovative Multiplex).

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back