Is Nad 356 with inbuilt DAC the right choice ( with Dali Ikon 6 FS)

umeshdhingra

I am in a dilemma whether to upgrade from my present amp of Cambride 650 A to NAD 356 with DAC .
I generally listen to pop and soft music,occasionally to Fusion as well.Ghazals and old Hindi movie songs are also on my playlist.
I have Dali ikon series 6 floor standers.

I did check out today NAD 356 ( without the DAC inbuilt model) and am being offered at Rs 48000, while the NAD 356 with inbuilt DAC is for Rs 57000 .

Looking forward to inputs as to do I go for an upgrade from Cambbridge 650 A to NaD 356 and also are these prices the best.

Thanks in advance.cheers

-"" Oh brother Where art thou ??? ""

Liked the movie

BTW he will meet - read the lines from OST - Man of Constant Sorrow

Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger
My face you'll never see no more.
But there is one promise that is given
I'll meet you on God's golden shore.

I have purchased NAD 356 MDC DAC which i will be getting today will post DAC experience after few days of listening.

Last edited:
@utkarsh That's a nice deal you got there.

@Flash: Do you really need an invite mate? Lets take the combo for a spin this weekend :)

And yeah love the O Brother... :) One of the finest films and OSTs

Back to the DAC

1. The installation was a breeze.
2. It replaces one input (Disc) selection.
3. It's not Plug n Play like other USB DACs. (Well PnP for 16/44.1 but not above) It needs the NAD drivers which is both good and bad. The driver gives 24/96. This was a bit hit and miss upsampling. Works great for some music, not much difference with others.
4. The sound is brilliant for the price. I compared with a Maverick Audio D1, HRT MSII and CA 540C

Lets talk more about the sound. These are my observations and going by my overall liking for the NAD house take things with some "Captain Cook"

Detailing: This is the biggest plus of the DAC. It is brutally revealing and detailed. No obvious coloration or warmth which was my biggest concern going for this. For me the HRT MSII was a fairly detailed DAC but it had its limitations on the lower side of the frequency spectrum, and they were uncomfortable at times even for a non-bass-head like me. The Maverick has an extended low and it was pleasing to the ears till I had heard the Beresford. The NAD goes very close to the Gatorized Caiman, and it is a huge complement. The mids are perfect, something you could expect from a NAD and highs are not suppressed at all. Tried getting the tape-out to a Yamaha power amp and my Denon 1611 and boy did that remind me how piercingly bright the Paradigms could sound. I had forgotten that aspect of the Paradigms since I acquired my C326.

So bottomline the DAC does not "add" anything of its own.

Sound stage and imaging: Surprise surprise a DAC needed almost a week's playback to get its soundstage. It was absolutely muddy and shallow to start with. The instrument separation was spot-on but the imaging was missing. I can probably attribute this to the Amp and not the DAC, a bit confused here really. Though I've experienced break-in improvements with speakers and amps, for a DAC it was a new thing for me. And I've had a few in the past.

Now the things are in order and the order is great! Nothing to complain in this department.

VFM: Absolutely.

Net negatives for me here is the Maverick sort of assisted the bass boom somewhat and it had grown on me. With the NAD for the first few days at least I am feeling some lack of bass. I am sure with time I'd grow over it but as of now it does not leave the back of my mind.

Net positives is on less device to operate for my parents and they are very happy with the overall presentation.

Ruenigma,
Wow..... You need to leave your present profession. With you articulation skills you should become a reviewer with some Hifi mags/sites :clapping:

I have tried the DAC module with NAD C375BEE integrated amp and I too really liked the results. It's a brilliant DAC to go along with NAD amplifiers. The sound is not at all colored and I really enjoyed the smoothness in the higher end.

With your present amplifier, I suggest looking at a stand alone DAC instead of changing your amp and including a DAC too. Try MF M1 DAC with your present amp and speakers.

Shivam is right. The MDC DAC however awesome VFM is still a very niche product. Even NAD amp owners (that too only C356 and C375) could go for it. And even then provided they like the DAC above more mainstream standalone offerings.

doesn't have coax surprisingly. I am kind of sold on it due to - one less power cable, one less set of interconnects, one extra device to manage.
Shivam, pls share your comparisons with any other dac that you tried in your system with NAD amp.

Based on @utkarsh input that he had got a price of Rs 54000/-, I did get a call from the dealer with whom I was discussing, but without going into any details , i had to for time being drop this dealer with whom I was almost set to place the order today itself , purely on non professionalism of this dealer .I didn't expect that after agreeing to a price , and in an hours time , I would be told that the price agreed in the morning was not valid anymore .
Will restart my negotiations and also look out for alternate solutions as suggested by fellow members.
Ofcourse thanks to all for the inputs !
Hoping to see few more suggestions as well.
cheers

With NAD C375BEE, I have tried the MDC DAC module, Cambridge DACMagic, Musical Fidelity M1Clic's DAC and a music hall DAC.

To me the best sounding was Musical Fidelity M1 Clic's DAC which is similar to M1 DAC. I use coaxial input from a SACD player and from another CD player which is now working as a transport.
MDC DAC module was very similar in sound to the Music Hall DAC (I don't remember the model number) but I felt the MF DAC To be having better response in the mid range. These two were excellent in the higher range with very smooth and musical sound. For source I had used a laptop running windows xp and foobar connected by USB.
Cambridge DAC sounded a little muddy to me with this amp.

One thing to be considered with the NAD amps is that they have a punchy lower end with a laid back higher end.

thanks doc. I think I don't need a dac anymore with oppo 95. I am able to stream music using upnp. It is not super convenient, but it is not too shabby either. I think a simple NAS is the order of the day.

Just to add a few more things-

I had tried the DACs with the NAD integrated and Wharfedale speakers. With brighter speakers like from Mordaunt Short, Paradigm or anything similar, I feel that the MDC module or the Music Hall DAC will be better than MF in terms of tonal balance.

I'm waiting to try out NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC. I have very high expectations from this one.

how are you going to try out? I would also love to, at my home :)

I'll get in touch with Mr. Ashish from Lakozy and most probably take my DAC to his place to compare when M51 becomes available.

I don't think it is possible at home, at least or me since I just have a ProFX outlet in my city and nothing else.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back