Is ONKYO India a subsidiary of ONKYO Global?

Amitkg

I am surprised to see Onkyo India website http://www.onkyoindia.com/clearanceOffer.html Website proudly says "NO SERVICE, NO WARRANTY FOR INTERNATIONAL PURCHASE"
I have been in this forum for almost a year and it is known to me that Onkyo India doesn't provide service to genuine Onkyo products bought legally from abroad, even if it is under warranty and even if a customer is ready to pay for service. Taking advantage of this weird policy, Onkyo India fleeces its customers exorbitantly. At times, they put 100% - 150% premium on products' cost. But how come, Onkyo India promote other brands on their website???

Valid customers with valid Onkyo products are not entitled to get service from Onkyo India, if products are bought from abroad but Onkyo India is entitled to advertise and promote other brands from Onkyo's website! :eek:hyeah:

IMO, this is very bad practice. A docile customer might think 'Accoustic Energy' 'ELAC' 'M&K Sound' 'Klipsch' are someway or the other connected with ONKYO.

Waiting for the day, when Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic will promote each other from their respective websites.

Is Onkyo India really a subsidiary of Onkyo Global or is it just a petty distributor of Onkyo products?

Does Onkyo Global know this practice of Onkyo India?

Last edited:
Onkyo India is not a subsidiary of Onkyo Japan, but a distributor...

So as a distributor can they also distribute other brands while calling themselves "Onkyo India". For example Lakozy is also a distributor but they don't call themselves "NAD India" even if they distribute NAD.

If a company calls itself Philips India or Pioneer India I would assume the Indian company is at least an authorised sole selling distributor of the principal and would be responsible for any sales / service of any products of the said principal. The converse may not be true, Sahil International for example has a very strong relationship with Harman International and they do accept some responsibility for any/all Harman products even if the same are not purchased in India.

Interestingly their site links with Onkyo Japan, whose site shows Onkyo India as one of their global group companies. With a name like theirs it is highly unlikely that the Registrar of Companies would have given approval unless they had close links to Onkyo Japan.

I used to sell Onkyo so I can maybe clarify a bit.

Onkyo as a company used to exist in India. Now they just distribute products to distributors in India, Bangalore is a case to point.

All onkyo products are picked up by Modern World (Domlur head office). Even the Onkyo showroom belongs to them. The branding is Onkyo, however space, products and everything else belongs to MW and they dictate terms for all onkyo products in Bangalore. I knew this scene about 3-4 years ago. Now I am not so sure.

It is quite confusing. My understanding was Onkyo India is the subsidiary of Onkyo and not just a distributor.

Then other distributors can put the name as " 'Brand Name' India" ?

I am worried! Recently, Pioneer's AV business has been taken over by Onkyo Global. If Pioneer India's business comes under 'Onkyo distributor' , Pioneer customers may have to pay 100% - 150% premium for Pioneer AV gears. Pioneer AVs bought from abroad may not get service from 'Onkyo distributor'

I recall Onkyo India had a small factory located in the Madras Export Processing Zone many years ago. I can say with some authority that Registrar of Companies will not easily give approval to "Onkyo" name to a company that has no links with Onkyo.

I used to sell Onkyo so I can maybe clarify a bit.

Onkyo as a company used to exist in India.
All onkyo products are picked up by Modern World (Domlur head office). Even the Onkyo showroom belongs to them. .

I recall Onkyo India had a small factory located in the Madras Export Processing Zone many years ago. I can say with some authority that Registrar of Companies will not easily give approval to "Onkyo" name to a company that has no links with Onkyo.

Did Modern World then buy "Onkyo India" from Onkyo Japan and hence if they have done so can they and are they continuing to use the name because of the credibility it implies?

Is Modern World pan India or just the Bangalore distributor?

Personally I don't foresee trouble for any products bought in India (I recently needed 2 FM antenna and they supplied these to me without even asking for the proof of purchase, just verbally they asked for the dealer's name).

What happens is that when Onkyo products arrive, MW gets the lions share of the entire range of products, meaning there may be some models that are only available with MW. So that allows MW to dictate terms and pricing.

Before Onkyo and MW used to sell separately and Onkyo used to supply to MW. Now Onkyo just imports products and hands over the products to MW who take care of the entire sales in Bangalore (this is as far as I know). The Onkyo wonderland showroom actually belongs to MW (Again I stand corrected with current information if anyone has it).

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back