Is Sony KDL-42W650A the best LED TV in terms of PQ for 62k budget?

tvhunter

I am not interested in 3D or smart features. Just looking for the best PQ possible in 42 inch in 62k budget.
I will be watching mostly HD content but occasionally SD as well.
Please help.

sir,

can you explain why?
Just because of with ips panel? Or any other reasons ? Did any one review it in detail?

Any suggestion on equivalent Samsung models in this price range?

Last edited:
The Sony 42W650 has a good picture in daylight viewing,but in night time you will notice the black levels are very light due to the IPS panel which is not typical Sony.It does however have motionflow and X-reality pro .

The samsung are a decent buy with equally good image processing and they have VA panel but the series 5 don't have motion plus,only the series 6 and upwards have them.If you are like me who want high contrast i would go with the samsung.

If one is a gamer i think the Sony is better ,since it may have a lower input lag,since the X-reality Pro processing found in the W900 has the lowest input lag recorded in any flat panel television it however has a AMVA panel.WHere as the W650 has a IPS panel but still has the same X-reality Pro processing.

Thw W700 also has a AMVA panel and X-reality Pro processing so this tv could be a gamers delight on a budget.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for detailed information.I am looking for buying an led tv of 40" from Dubai. I am not biased to Sony rather than Samsung. I would like to know good non 3d led model s in Samsung 6 series. I prefer vivid picture with good contrast /depth with better black levels. I fear dealers may give demo piece if I insist on Sony ex650. could You give some specific models in Samsung?

You can go with samsung 40F61xx ,all samsung series 6 are mostly the same with regard to performance.The more expensive models in series 6 led only have more features related to the smart tv,some models like 40F64xx also have micro dimming which is nothing but dynamic contrast enhancer but its peak native contrast and its black level will still be the same.

You can go with samsung 40F61xx ,all samsung series 6 are mostly the same with regard to performance.The more expensive models in series 6 led only have more features related to the smart tv,some models like 40F64xx also have micro dimming which is nothing but dynamic contrast enhancer but its peak native contrast and its black level will still be the same.

But why HDMI are reducing in HDTV?Some has only 2.

But why HDMI are reducing in HDTV?Some has only 2.

Cost cutting ,also perhaps due to cheap HDMI switches in the market and some may be using a AV reciever.

I think they should atleast have 3 hdmi ports for STB,media player and gaming console/PC.

Cost cutting ,also perhaps due to cheap HDMI switches in the market and some may be using a AV reciever.

I think they should atleast have 3 hdmi ports for STB,media player and gaming console/PC.
Yes,I think the same,my current TV has two rears & one on side which is handy.Even TV costing 50k dont have 3 HDMI.:sad:

W-650 A, does not exhibit the same balckest black and whitest white as that of its predecessor EX-650. I compared the two twice, and wanted to love W 650-A.
I asked sony center guys to do something so that W-650 matches the other, but invain.
After tuning the pic. quality to same level, I found 650-A had 2 problems.
one I mentioned above and second was slightly more pixelation in SD content, checked twice in diff. places.
So in W 650-A, you get 42" (as compared to EX-650's 40"),X-Reality Pro (as compared to X-reality in EX-650); MHL, mobile screen mirroring, 200Hz motion flow, relatively more 3G dongle options, slim bezel etc. etc. for just 3000/- more ? As I said before...there is something fishy :)
BTW..I went with EX-650 model and very happy with my decision.

Last edited:
I am not interested in 3D or smart features. Just looking for the best PQ possible in 42 inch in 62k budget.
I will be watching mostly HD content but occasionally SD as well.
Please help.

Samsung F5500 or F6100. Since you don't want the features the F5500 should be good. I think you can save on some cash with that model, so get a bluray player :)

I liked Samsung 5 series & Sony 800.Both had better colors & contrast ratio.Sony 700 had jaggies in motion scenes.

W-650 A, does not exhibit the same balckest black and whitest white as that of its predecessor EX-650. I compared the two twice, and wanted to love W 650-A.
I asked sony center guys to do something so that W-650 matches the other, but invain.
After tuning the pic. quality to same level, I found 650-A had 2 problems.
one I mentioned above and second was slightly more pixelation in SD content, checked twice in diff. places.
So in W 650-A, you get 42" (as compared to EX-650's 40"),X-Reality Pro (as compared to X-reality in EX-650); MHL, mobile screen mirroring, 200Hz motion flow, relatively more 3G dongle options, slim bezel etc. etc. for just 3000/- more ? As I said before...there is something fishy :)
BTW..I went with EX-650 model and very happy with my decision.
hi Mr. slash1814.

me too confused between ex650 n w650a, i almost have purchased w650a if havent read ur comments n decision to go with ex650. all i wanted to know now that does ex650 plays almost all the movie formats via usb ? as i m going to watct the downloaded movies from net

i think last years sony models didnt support mkv format, its always better to go with a good media player...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back