Is Subwoofer required with component speakers setup?

edjamesx

Hi Guys,
Up on the inputs from this forum and others I have bought Kenwood HU and Rockford Fosgate Amplifier and lying with me. Since my new car is not arrived yet I have to hold my speakers purchase until it arrives.

I am going to put Component speakers in the front and Co-axials in the rear.
Do we require Subwoofer really with component speakers setup?.

I dont have any experience with listening to component speakers yet..

As per reading in the forums Component speakers have in built BASS component..then why do we need subwoofer ?. I dont want a heavy bass a balanced BASS is enough. Is it accomplished with this kind of setup?. Or I need Subwoofer?.

Guys please recommend any showroom in chennai where i can audition Component speakers.
Thanks..

In a set of Component speakers, you will get a pair of mid bass drivers, a pair of tweeters and a pair of crossovers. You will definitely need a subwoofer as these does not cover the entire frequency spectrum. You will need a separate amp to drive the component speakers and subwoofer. Coaxials are usually 3way and low frequency really depends on the enclosure that they are installed in. So, what you heard is not true.

Mark from craftel in chennai does good audio stuffs for car ,u can contact him......

With Decent 3-way Coaxial from likes of JBL in the rears normally people says Subwoofer is not necessary but you certainly feel lack of it.

A 2.1 setup with front compoents and Sub in the bootspace will do just fine. Why do you want to go for a 5.1 setup in the CAR ...:)

A 2.1 setup with front compoents and Sub in the bootspace will do just fine. Why do you want to go for a 5.1 setup in the CAR ...:)

true, but that leaves you only with a forward biased soundstage. good option for cars carrying two people at the max :). for me, at least a set of co-axials, if not components again, are mandatory for the rear. in my car, the sub takes care of 50hz and below and hence most of the music is from the components in the front and the co-axials at the rear. the sub takes care of the "body" to the entire reproduction. if i do say so myself :indifferent14:, the sound in my car this way is closer to a home setup. lotta tweaking :eek: to get here, but....BELLISSIMA!!!! ;).cheers

first off
my dear friend you have forgtten to metion something very important

are the coaxials 6 inchers to be mountd in the rear door panels or are they 6*9 ovals to be mounted on the hat rack?

if they are 6*9's you generally wouldnt actaully REQURIE a subwoofer
You should be happy with good tuning if your not finicky about the lows

if they are 6 inchers in the rear door
well then a sealed sub would be good ( however depending on your musical tastes you can get away)
its just that the sub allows you to crossover higher on the compos to sometimes achive a smoother midrange

true, but that leaves you only with a forward biased soundstage. good option for cars carrying two people at the max :). for me, at least a set of co-axials, if not components again, are mandatory for the rear. in my car, the sub takes care of 50hz and below and hence most of the music is from the components in the front and the co-axials at the rear. the sub takes care of the "body" to the entire reproduction. if i do say so myself :indifferent14:, the sound in my car this way is closer to a home setup. lotta tweaking :eek: to get here, but....BELLISSIMA!!!! ;).cheers

Hey Rallinut,

I sure want to check out your car setup...:)

Square wave, you should check out rallynuts car audio,it's as he said close to a home set up,I can vouch for that!

@iaudio,..u should hear opeth in the car now, amazing. too bad we didn't get time to listen more than we did ;).

@square,..anytime (provided of course my ride's with me!!) :p. am in blore currently and the car gets to be driven by my father at home in kerala :mad:.

heh, most friends who know my car always remark as to whether my pater even realises that he drives a car with a custom exhaust, alloys, ice, etc. and he doesn't :p!!!!! yeah, he asked me just a couple of mths ago as to whether i had 'modified' the exhaust :indifferent14:. this is 4 years after getting it fitted :lol:!!!!!.cheers

edit: i ought to say this,.. even if it does sound very nice now, i do feel my ICE could be a lot better. its a horrid environment(by way of plastics, insulation, materials used) esp on the lower end of the pricing scale. car acoustics are waaay different in the mercs/bmws and the like, and here u have to try to work around it all. few upgrades still to be executed- alpine hu, monoblock for the enclosed sub, better damping, and if possible a set of components for the rear as well. hmpf,..sounds like another "5-yr plan".dammit.

Last edited:
Finally,
I installed Rockford fosgate full range speakers in front and rear.
Rockford fosgate prime 4 channel amplifier + Polk audio sub.

Initially i installed Hertz component speakers in the front and Hertz coaxials in the rear. I am not at all impressed with the sound quality of component speakers. The highs were very thin and bass was boomy. It gets distorted very easily. Not sure whether its a installation problem.. I heard to polk audio comp speakers also . Some how i dont like the highs from comp speakers its again very thin sound with more louder. So my ears get irritated.

Finally heard music on Rockford fosgate full range speakers. It sounded good. BASS and midrange is balanced and the tone is very good.So replaced with these speakers.

Polk audio sub in the boot speace is very good.

Currently i havent connected full range speakers through AMP even though my AMP has a front speakers output. Rear is connected to SUB.
Is connecting coaxials through AMP improves sound quality. Since installer told me it doesnt make difference..i just left it.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back