Is Tata sky 4K UHD settop box worth buying?

edjamesx

Hi all,
I have 50" Samsung 4k UHD TV.
I am planning to go with Tata sky DTH. They are selling HD and UHD settop boxes. I know there's few UHD channels right now and they are expensive.
Does UHD settop box upscale HD and SD channels , and will there be any better picture clarity comparing with HD settopbox..
If its worth i will go with UHD settop box which i dont need to upgrade again in the feature , otherwise i will stick with HD settop box

Please advise.

Hi all,
I have 50" Samsung 4k UHD TV.
I am planning to go with Tata sky DTH. They are selling HD and UHD settop boxes. I know there's few UHD channels right now and they are expensive.
Does UHD settop box upscale HD and SD channels , and will there be any better picture clarity comparing with HD settopbox..
If its worth i will go with UHD settop box which i dont need to upgrade again in the feature , otherwise i will stick with HD settop box

Please advise.
Honestly, I don't think you can see so much of difference with 4k resolution on a 50 inch TV unless you are 2 or 3 feet closer to the screen. The upscaler in the TV will do necessary job to make the Tv to display good picture with a 1080p source. If the TV, set top box and broadcasted channels support hdr then it is worth considering.

I don't own UHD box, but I own Tataksy HD box (with recording) for last ~10 years. It took 8 years to get 50% of channels I view in HD broadcasted. So taking about UHD? IMHO it is too early to go. 4K support in DTH box may not even be necessary in future also - the reason could be online streaming. Recently I bought a 4K UHD Sony 55X9000F TV considering the a lot of 4K online streaming available (new movies released very early in online platforms than TV channels). Even HD channel's streaming quality is much better in online streaming than Tatasky HD box. Note: Compared to Airtel DTH HD quality Tatasky is great :) at least in my experience.

I purchased HD Tatasky box ..! Seems to be good... But looks like Tatasky uses more compression , because of that certain HD channels is not looking like real HD.
Earlier i had videocon HD settop box ,..comparing to that some channels weren't that good in tata sky , especially for regional HD channels.

Surprisingly new Tatasky HD settop box dont have optical/SPDIF output , my AMP is old dont have HDMI in ..no way to pass in the DD/DTS signal to my old AMP . I can live with Stereo for now... I just connected with stereo coaxial cables with my old amp.

Setting up favorite is very difficult ...you need to go through all channels one by one and select , and there's only one favorite list. With videocon it was very easy to add/remove favorites channels.

The very big problem with videoon i was getting cracking sounds -especially from HD channels ..very irritating, which i reported many times to CC , issue not resolved. Thats the reason i needed to switch to Tatasky, otherwise it was ok.

Tatasky's android App is good , very easy to add /remove channels from the package. They also did very quick installation.

Channel selection was very difficult with videocon ..

Is there any way to pass DD/DTS to amp without HDMI cable?

Bit off topic but I was thinking of upgrading my tata sky dvr to 4k for cricket world cup.

Is there any other option apart from tata sky that will have world cup in 4k?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back