Is there anyone with a keen Video Eye?

shankarcams

We have lots of members with a keen ear. Maybe I am myself in that category. If I need a second opinion on audio there are enough experienced FMs on site and in fact in Chennai.

I am wondering whether Video Processor, different PJ etc.will make a difference to my image. Obviously every dealer claims his product will.

I need Chennai based neutral observers who have some experience in Video across a variety of PJ's, Processors like Lumagen etc. to opine on my image and advise if any improvement with new equipment is worth the investment.

If there is any volunteer(s) I will be happy to set up a beer and movie session for honest advice.

Shankar

Why do you need advice? Do you not trust your eyes?

If you can't see an obvious improvement I am of the opinion it is not worth the investment. That is assuming you can get a demo. If you mean purely on specs/data/popular opinion then I would advise not to waste money based on specs/data/popular opinion alone and try to get a demo.

We have lots of members with a keen ear. Maybe I am myself in that category. If I need a second opinion on audio there are enough experienced FMs on site and in fact in Chennai.

I am wondering whether Video Processor, different PJ etc.will make a difference to my image. Obviously every dealer claims his product will.

I need Chennai based neutral observers who have some experience in Video across a variety of PJ's, Processors like Lumagen etc. to opine on my image and advise if any improvement with new equipment is worth the investment.

If there is any volunteer(s) I will be happy to set up a beer and movie session for honest advice.

Shankar
@liverpool_for_life might be able to help you out.

@liverpool_for_life might be able to help you out.
Thanks. Am in touch with him.

To @argho and @Decadent_Spectre : Thank you for your responses.

1. I am unable to get the respective dealers to loan me a Lumagen or a Sim2 or a MadVR so I can do an A/B with my own eyes. Of course I would trust my eyes, but only what they can see.

2. In the absence of my eyes seeing, I am looking for other neutral eyes who have seen and can opine as to the improvement.

3. I am not looking for advice; I am looking for opinions from people who have seen........

Thanks. Am in touch with him.
Welcome. I am a videophile myself and pay attention to details as I have very keen eyes but not much exposure to projectors. I have been to other fm’s place with projectors and all of them had 1080pj’s. Also I have visited AV integration where they had the NX7. Two of the fm’s had madvr through HTPC and the others didn’t which includes the nx7 as well. I was able to spot the difference especially with the sharpness in the image processed via madvr. I have an Oled and never thought that madvr is required as Oled already produces stunning picture. Just to experiment I tried madvr using my basic laptop which has a 1650 card that only supports 8 bit. The difference was clearly noticeable with basic madvr settings over nvidia shelf pro and if it was noticeable in Oled for sure you can expect good improvements with PJ’s. @Tuhin Lavania also uses NX7 and set up a high end PC with madvr.

need Chennai based neutral observers who have some experience in Video across a variety of PJ's, Processors like Lumagen etc. to opine on my image and advise if any improvement with new equipment is worth the investment.

If there is any volunteer(s) I will be happy to set up a beer and movie session for honest advice
FM @prateekatasniya is one that comes to mind, he is a certified professional in this regard AFAIK. He did calibration for my PJ for more Natural looking output. But he's based in Hyderabad.

Shankar
Hardware and software can be used to give you an idea of how your display is performing..
The combination of hardware and software is a FAR better method to observe when compared to naked eyes.

To @argho and @Decadent_Spectre : Thank you for your responses.

1. I am unable to get the respective dealers to loan me a Lumagen or a Sim2 or a MadVR so I can do an A/B with my own eyes. Of course I would trust my eyes, but only what they can see.

2. In the absence of my eyes seeing, I am looking for other neutral eyes who have seen and can opine as to the improvement.

3. I am not looking for advice; I am looking for opinions from people who have seen........

If they provide a demo in their showrooms you can switch the device(s) on/off to see the difference and judge for yourself whether the difference is noticeable and something you enjoy, this should be sufficient to make a decision.

I have experience with MadVR (PC) and it isn't as spectacular as some people say, on PC there are many settings and you can see differences but it is not always subjectively preferable, of course subjective preferences vary. These devices (particularly the Envy) are overpriced and not worth the money, if particularly interested then a PC route would be more appropriate for MadVR. Also please keep in mind that if you are a purist you should avoid such devices/software as they alter the picture over and above regular hardware/software used for playback.

One can input 3D LUT in madVR and other such processors to get the most accurate colours.

The worth an AV product high depends on the person installing it.

An example:
My wife on experiencing focal Sopra was like " our Genelecs sound far better than these" .

My answer:
Obviously the SOPRAs would sound much better when installed by a person who has enough knowledge to do it the right way.

One can input 3D LUT in madVR and other such processors to get the most accurate colours.

The worth an AV product high depends on the person installing it.

An example:
My wife on experiencing focal Sopra was like " our Genelecs sound far better than these" .

My answer:
Obviously the SOPRAs would sound much better when installed by a person who has enough knowledge to do it the right way.

No it doesn't. The "worth" is what it is, that is what it is sold/bought for. The subjective worth of a product for the buyer will vary from buyer to buyer. In general I find installers to be crooks who are very greedy. I also disagree with their opinions which they try very hard (and rudely) to pass off as facts. Of course lastly they always push whatever they are dealers for.

If the Focal Sopra is an evolution of the 1027/28Be from yesteryear then it sounds equally bad as the Genelec. Unless one loves harshness and high frequency"shrill" (or has high frequency hearing loss that desires compensation) they should avoid both Genelec and Focal.

Shankar
My 2 cents on this ...
PJs are like speakers - Barring exceptions, You will get noticeable improvements the more you spend.

Video processors are like Interconnects (or arguably DACs).. Beyond a point (which is hit at a fairly small cost outlay), spending additional will not really help by much, if at all.

The simple reason for this is that video processing is entirely standard algorithm based - The ASIC (or asic equivalent) chips are cheap as chips (pardon the pun) - and the algo doesn't really change between an expensive or cheap device.
PJs on the other hand are physical and the choice and quality of the objects going into one can make a huge difference on the final output.

One relatively minor exception to the statement above would be AI based upscaling - while it's debatable if it really improves anything or not, experimenting with that is cheap via a low cost PC or even a Off-the-shelf device (shield).

Short answer :- It definitely makes a difference, a huge one. I will never watch a movie without some kind of external video processing being done, its that good.

But is that image 6-8-10 lakh better? That, the OP has to decide. For me its not.
If you have a lot of money lying around, get a Lumagen 5348 and be done with it.

I have a Madvr HTPC and its one of the best, best spends ive done in my HT.
I just love the machine for what it does.
Cheap, tons more powerful and does gaming and hell lot of other stuff too.

I have experience with MadVR (PC) and it isn't as spectacular as some people say, on PC there are many settings and you can see differences but it is not always subjectively preferable, of course subjective preferences vary.
Please elaborate on your experience with madvr? Since you used a PC it would have involved a graphics card, a processor and a display unit. What graphics card did you test madvr with? What was the display unit? Did your display unit support HDR?What contents did you check? 1080p?4k? Or HDR?

Mod Edit: Deleted personal insults.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shankar
If someone is trying to get MadVR working on PC for local content> may be try before investing on dedicated Video processor.

Note: MadVR only works on Windows and make sure you have good dedicated graphics card.
Make sure your PJ is calibrated or use calibration options in MadVR (advanced)

I was in the same cross roads but my first purpose is to scale 16:9 content to 2.35:1 fill the screen with out zooming. I found some good guide on Youtube. I really appreciate the time taken by this youtuber to show each step. Great video tutorial for beginners.

Part1:https://youtu.be/9ieVsaPGiP4
Part1-updated: https://youtu.be/jtoAcAEuSDg
Part2: https://youtu.be/tfkwJEI9QvE

Thanks.
Ram Sumanth

What popular opinion? Please do clarify. I have shared enough information for what I base my opinion on. I am not obligated to disclose my equipment. I'd suggest you please go through my post history. What do you wish me to substantiate? If I hear a speaker or view a display device and find it to be poor for my tastes, how would you like me to substantiate this? Does everyone provide as such for their personal opinions?

Edit: There is no law, forum or legal, that says one must adhere to "popular opinion".
What enough information did you share on your opinion about MadVR ?
Please share the hardware you used to test out madvr, the kind of room you tested it, the kind of projector/panel you tested it with.

With those kind of claims of you on the video renderer, it should be even your right to share some pictures of the hw used and the room used to test out, and the kind of settings in Madvr itself. Share the settings.

I dont understand why you think its not your right to share your equipment especially when you hold those weird opinions. You cannot spit and run here, like the kids do on the Internet all day. If you have claims like these, we have every right to demand what kind of equipments did you use to come to that conclusion.

Hi Guys,
Those using madvr can check out /google videoprocessor it’s a project that now enables you to connect external sources such as Apple TV et cetera via madvr

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back