Is this a good offer?

MADMAX

Hi ,

After a search for a dream combo of BS speakers and amp, I have zeroed in on Paradigm Titan Monitor and NAD 326. which roughly falls under 60 k with cables and connects without a cd player as I plan to buy it later. For now will use a cheap-ass LG DVD player.

This is what has sounded the best to me and I was sure about it.

However the dealer threw an offer that has made me think and rethink my decision.He has given me an offer on Yahama A-S1000 amp and C-S1000 bundled for 75 k on installments.
Have spoken to some friends and they have said it is a killer deal.

In effect have to go overboard by 30 k (in emi's).

Is this a killer deal and something that I should pick up definitely. Will I get better stuff (cdp + amp) in 75 k ?

Will the Yamaha CDP+ AMP pair well with The Paradigm Titan?

I am a very confused. Please help me out guys.

Regards,

Madmax

The offer of 75k for both is too good to be true! If its brand new box packed, GRAB IT!!!
Heck, even if they are demo pieces, its still a good deal. Check out the amp & CDP paired with the Titan monitors & see if you like the combo. It still would make sense to buy the Yamaha Amp/CDP anyway :)

The offer of 75k for both is too good to be true! If its brand new box packed, GRAB IT!!!
Heck, even if they are demo pieces, its still a good deal. Check out the amp & CDP paired with the Titan monitors & see if you like the combo. It still would make sense to buy the Yamaha Amp/CDP anyway :)

I agree.
GRAB it without blinking an eyelid.
A brilliant Amp and even better CDP.
IMO They deserve better speakers to shine

I agree.
GRAB it without blinking an eyelid.
A brilliant Amp and even better CDP.
IMO They deserve better speakers to shine

I know I would have loved to get better speakers.
but my starting point was a budget of 60 k. In that the nad and titan combo was the best for me.
Now I have got an offer that I cant refuse and therefore taking out extra 40 k!

So I think will pick this one up! And start saving for speakers upgrade
later : ) My wife will kill me if she comes to know of my plans!!!

My wife will kill me if she comes to know of my plans!!!

You can try following ideas which i use at my home.

1. Tell wife that purchased speaker, amp, phone,tab is refurbished.
2. One of your friend need the money and he is selling the gadget in half the price.
3. Show some used items cost in Amazon.de and then tell the item was bought from Germany at a very good price.
4. You are getting a good exchange price so the difference is negligible.
5. Before you plan to buy anything ask her if she wants anything like dress, jewellery etc. After that you have to convince her how badly you are missing for ex a good quality sound system which you wanted to buy since your childhood and how your productivity is going down by thinking about your dream HT day & night. Many a times she will cancel her item and allow you to purchase your wishlist.

Now the above tricks work for me and may not work for all the people ;).
I think there should a sticky thread tilted How a buy your dream HT without annoying your wife.:eek:hyeah:

Last edited:

2. One of your friend need the money and he is selling the gadget in half the price.
3. Show some used items cost in Amazon.de and then tell the item was bought from Germany at a very good price.
5. Before you plan to buy anything ask her if she wants anything like dress, jewellery etc. After that you have to convince her how badly you are missing for ex a good quality sound system which you wanted to buy since your childhood and how your productivity is going down by thinking about your dream HT day & night. Many a times she will cancel her item and allow you to purchase your wishlist.

I think there should a sticky thread tilted How a buy your dream HT without annoying your wife.:eek:hyeah:

Heheh. and My suggestion would be .. chuck marriage..stay away !! have fun

Last edited:
This advice may be unsolicited.
But I feel strongly to give this here since I was also in the same dilemma.

I do not know your present setup .
But I feel there is no end to the money you can spend on music system.

So go for best value for money sort of deals.
You are already going overboard by 30K and I agree there is huge temtation to overspend .
I am in the same boat myself but just trying to keep my costs down and at the same time maintaining the quality or the music experience. It is going to be my first setup so I have no reference point.

My setup is not ready yet and I am in no hurry.

So sit back and relax , more offers will come and go and think over it again.
You may also find something with suits your pocket and music quality.

There is nothing like dream combo otherwise why would people upgrade. :):)

Disclaimer :
1. I do not want to hurt anybody's sentiments . I have no experience / knowledge /or auditioned Paradigm Titan Monitor or NAD 326 or Yahama A-S1000 or and C-S1000 .

2.These comments are purely my feelings for somebody going for their first music system.

i agree.. if you want to go in for a good CDP.. go for the used route or look up hifimart for the CDP5004 or equivalent.

The Titan Monitors - are not in production now so try to drive a hard bargain. They are not the ultimate in sound but they are quite good for the price and they will pair well with NAD.

Budget some money for VFM interconnects & speaker cables like BJC etc..

regards,
mpw

This is THE reason why 'economy' is down .... no spending! When banks want to spend ... the stock analysts paint a 'gloom and doom'. :p

Jokes apart, both the Forum members who have asked you to exhibit caution for your first 'major' buy ... are absolutely correct. Go slow ... spend less, see and understand first what is good sound, then take it step by step. Sky is the limit here and time is aplenty, since people overlook the time spent to find out more about sound, once the passion sets in!

Hahaha! Thought I was the only one with "fool my wife" syndrome!
I fell off the chair laughing reading your post. Thanks for the advice.
Feel like I am buying drugs not audio equipment : )

i agree.. if you want to go in for a good CDP.. go for the used route or look up hifimart for the CDP5004 or equivalent.

The Titan Monitors - are not in production now so try to drive a hard bargain. They are not the ultimate in sound but they are quite good for the price and they will pair well with NAD.

Budget some money for VFM interconnects & speaker cables like BJC etc..

regards,
mpw

The final quote from the dealer for Titan monitors are 25 k. Do you think that is a good deal?

madmax,

about 3 years back.. the MRP was 30k ( you normally get a discount on quoted price atleast 10% ). Try to get him at about 22k or 23k if possible.

If the dealer does not bite then.... you bite at 25k. ( go for it )

The Titans are very good for the money. ( No speaker is perfect by the way ).

As i said.. please budget for some nice interconnects and cables from Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices or equivalent.

Also.. The Bookshelves will sound even better with nice stands. You may contact magma on this forum for this purpose or any other arrangement you may like. For pics of Titans on stands.. please refer to my thread on this else send me your mail id and i will email you. The stands can be bought later once you are settled and willing for better sound.

Which color is he offering and which color will you opt for ? or is it like Ford Model-T ?? ( any color as long as its black ?? )

whats your room size by the way ?

regards,
mpw

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I will let my ears do the talking : )
I still haven't heard the titan- yamaha combo. Don't know how they will sound.

My plan is to first listen and compare both combos, NAD 326 and Yamaha A S 100 with the titans and then evaluate is the 30 k worth it.

I will have to make a trade- off somewhere.
All I wanted to know is this deal something that i should let go and is this for me?

I have got the answer to the first question- that this is a killer deal
The second part is the tricky part - is this for me? and I think I will have to do a lot of thinking for that :confused:

ha ha . your dreams must be coming true . :)
I recently asked my wife to buy jewellery for her when she went to her native but she did not buy any . May be I gave my consent too easily . :) and she felt guilty conscious for spending the amount .

madmax,

about 3 years back.. the MRP was 30k ( you normally get a discount on quoted price atleast 10% ). Try to get him at about 22k or 23k if possible.

If the dealer does not bite then.... you bite at 25k. ( go for it )
25 is the best price by the dealer.

The Titans are very good for the money. ( No speaker is perfect by the way ). I did not find any other speaker at 25 that's worth this much. Only PSB B 6 came close but demanded for a 5- 6 premium. PSB B 6 was on my top 2 btw.

As i said.. please budget for some nice interconnects and cables from Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices or equivalent.

Will check out. I am planning using my laptop as a source. Do I need to buy anything extra for using the laptop. I plan to add a dac later. Any special cables for connecting the laptop to the amp or cdp?

Also.. The Bookshelves will sound even better with nice stands. You may contact magma on this forum for this purpose or any other arrangement you may like. For pics of Titans on stands.. please refer to my thread on this else send me your mail id and i will email you. The stands can be bought later once you are settled and willing for better sound.

Thanks for the inputs. This is really helpful!!!
[email protected] is my id. Please send me some pics

Which color is he offering and which color will you opt for ? or is it like Ford Model-T ?? ( any color as long as its black ?? )

Black is what I hv been offered. and I am okay with that. BTW I have a red ford : )

whats your room size by the way ?

My room is L shaped. The area where I intend to keep the setup is roughly 12 *15 but the room is quite big for otherwise

regards,
mpw

Thanks for helping me out. Hope I can return a favour someday!

BTW I was just curious and was wondering what speakers under 50 k would go best with the Yamaha As 1000?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back