Is this Thaikkudam bridge performance live or lipsync?

arnprasad

Got pulled into the Kantara song copying controversy and was bowled over by both the song and the official music video of navarasam and I am an uncle who has been listening to heavy metal since Metallica released the black album way back in 1990 when we also got cable tv in India :)

This performance seems too good to be true. I dont recall any live recording of Lata or MSS that was so close to their master recording. What do you think? May be the audience in the mall did hear them live but this video has the master recording? My ear couldn't catch even a wrong note which is just impossible in a live performance. I am no audio expert..just a layman's observation

Last edited:
Got pulled into the Kantara song copying controversy and was bowled over by both the song and the official music video of navarasam and I am an uncle who has been listening to heavy metal since Metallica released the black album way back in 1990 when we also got cable tv in India :)

This performance seems too good to be true. I dont recall any live recording of Lata or MSS that was so close to their master recording. What do you think? May be the audience in the mall did hear them live but this video has the master recording? My ear couldn't catch even a wrong note which is just impossible in a live performance. I am no audio expert..just a layman's observation

With the advent of digital methods, layering of sound is not restricted to the recording studio. Various tracks can be added to the sound and mixed conveniently at the desk, even during a live performance. Most bands (both on the Indian scene and internationally) use this method especially on drums, keyboads, guitars and general sound effects. The areana or stadium rock experience can also be created easily in a live setting.

Every singer voice will be changed and will be sounding different in an open stadium. What the recording theatre does on the original album will not be near to this. This shall be clearly seen from the stadium or if it is streamed live over the OTT. Recent live telecast of Anirudh concert streamed over disney hotstar an example. I have seen way long before, baba sehgal performance LIVE with lip sync method and it is utter failure concert in Chennai. He does lip sync when you are present in stadium itself, why cant they do if released later in youtube in this digital era with just mix of original voice earlier done in recording theatre.

A good example of the modern production values for arena performances. Clever video mixing focused on accentuating the cult personality of OZZY. Layering on OZZY's vocals is also evident, with clever mixing of the live mic and a pre-recorded voice track. Its all a package of sorts.

With all due respect to all concerned, the original live concerts that we in India were used to, were based on a bunch of mics wired to a simple PA mixer and what one heard was what one played on stage (with varied levels of competance and committment). We used to jokingly call these 'ganamela concerts' in Kerala but they drew mass audiences as they featured local content. Production values only improved with the advent of satellite TV in India and a lot of these performance started looking much better on TV shows, Award Nites, etc.

PS: Its amazing how a 72+ year old feeble Ozzy with all his health problems, can still rock arenas. He is the true original Metal GOD. Zakk Wylde is an amazing guitar player (featured on crazy train) and can play like the original Randy Rhodes (RIP).

Another good example, if you listen carefully on headphones, you can notice the switching/mixing between the live mic (with echo) and the recorded voice layer. On another note, what an amazing performance by Leppard and those lovely Cheer Leaders!

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back