Is Yamaha A S-801 integrated amplifier a audiophile solution

ISO

Friends do you think Yamaha A S801 integrated amplifier with DAC built in will make audiophile grade stereo system? Please give your precious opinions.

a535827479.png

USB DAC function supports 2.8MHz/5.6MHz DSD native resolution and PCM384kHz/32*bit reproduction.

Windows support. Mac support is 24-bit.

High efficiency ESS 32bit DAC (ES9010K2M)

Digital signal indicator shows DSD and PCM playback formats and sampling frequencies

High strength chassis contributes to high purity audio reproduction

Double-bottom chassis for excellent vibration damping

ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) and high quality parts

I/O (input to output) Direct Symmetrical Design

ART (Anti-Resolution and Tough) Base

Custom-made power transformer / 12,000uF block capacitors / Aluminium-extruded heat sinks

100W x 2 (RMS @ THD+N 0.002%) high power output

CD Direct Amplification and Pure Direct

Continuous Variable Loudness Control

Gold-plated speaker terminals and RCA terminals

Digital audio inputs for TV or Blu-ray Player

Connection for YBA-11 Bluetooth Wireless Adapter

I have not used this Yamaha version with built in DAC, but I don't think there would be anything to be proud of with the built-in-DAC. I am having Yamaha AS-500 and using external Schiit DAC. If just because of the in built DAC the price is increasing significantly, then better to invest in a separate DAC of ones choice and get the AMP basic version without the DAC.

Using external DAC also opens door to experimentation with different DACs.

amit.

I wouldn't discard the ess sabre dac, they are considered top quality.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

The single, primary and the foremost thing is how that amp sounds. If that is good and you like it then it is worth considering.

DAC inside an amp should be secondary for any consideration to buy.

amit.

I feel people pay or in this case overpay for a DAC. Like someone mentioned, knowing that a great DAC chip is used does not make it a "great sounding" DAC. Audition the amp, if YOU like how it sounds, buy it. Don't buy on recommendations.

I have an old Rotel RSX-1057 receiver. I like be how it sounds and have never felt the need to get an external DAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find Yamaha AS700/801 mids muddy and a bit too messed up when driven hard.

I haven't taken demo yet. I judge any sound system based on quality of mid. if mids are not ok then it will be big no from me.

But what was input? I mean digital input or analog input with pure direct. May be DAC is messing up. Personally I did not like sound of RX A 1050 which have ESS DAC.

I feel people pay or in this case overpay for a DAC. Like someone mentioned, knowing that a great DAC chip is used does not make it a "great sounding" DAC. Audition the amp, if YOU like how it sounds, buy it. Don't buy on recommendations.

I have an old Rotel RSX-1057 receiver. I like be how it sounds and have never felt the need to get an external DAC.

Amplifier is ok but DAC do not have good rating.

Absolutely. But when looking at a One box solution,the preamp will play a significant role in the sound signature than the DAC itself. The only way to judge a DAC for whatever its worth is to have all separates and see the synergy. Also bottom line is to have a truly resolving system to hear any difference in a dac and same goes for high end cables. But if convenience is of importance that an integrated offers,the the built-in dac cannot be the only component on which a sound signature can be evaluated. In the best case scenario, If Yamaha offered the same box with two different dacs {say one with Burr brown and the other ESS sabre, with everything identical, that comparison truly can be done. I haven't heard many dacs but whatever external dacs I have heard they have not made much of an impression as much preamps have.

Absolutely. But when looking at a One box solution,the preamp will play a significant role in the sound signature than the DAC itself. The only way to judge a DAC for whatever its worth is to have all separates and see the synergy.

what is your opinion about burr brown vs ESS?

I have some reports where it was mentioned that ESS sound bright and unnatural especially in the mid range compared to burr brown.

On the other hand burr brown is not as crisp as ESS in the treble range.

I have some reports where it was mentioned that ESS sound bright and unnatural especially in the mid range compared to burr brown.

As nitinmenhra wrote, dont go too much into the chip as the implementation/power supply etc matter a lot more. Unless you are able to compare it

I have not heard the sabre and burr brown implementation in stand alone dacs on the same setup, so cant say what the nature of those two things are. my initial reaction was not to start a which dac chip is better, but considering the Yamaha integrated mentioned above, it would be worthwhile to check it out especially with the speakers you intend to pair with. Some speakers are considered warm and some bright.Yamaha's are considered on the bright side on this forum but neutral/natural on other forums. For some what may be crisp may end up sounding bright, and a strong mid-range might be considered warm.It really boils down to the entire chain of components in use.the most difference that you can get is to find source material of the best quality that you can.
In the end if we could lend each other our ear's, it would be awesome so we can truly hear what everyone else is hearing.(will have to wait for that tech. to show up).

As nitinmenhra wrote, dont go too much into the chip as the implementation/power supply etc matter a lot more. Unless you are able to compare it

Yup!! It's like saying which engine will give me a better ride? A BMW engine or an Audi engine.

But in order to have a better ride, a lot will depend on how the engine is tuned, the suspension, the gearbox etc etc.

The system implementation has a much bigger impact then a singular chip which in the strictest sense simply takes digital 1s and 0s and modulates electricity to create an analog signal. How this signal is further processed and whether YOU like the signal signature is all that matters.

I have made the mistake of buying audio equipment simply on recommendation and have been underwhelmed on more than one occasion :(

Some speakers are considered warm and some bright.Yamaha's are considered on the bright side on this forum but neutral/natural on other forums. For some what may be crisp may end up sounding bright, and a strong mid-range might be considered warm.It really boils down to the entire chain of components in use.the most difference that you can get is to find source material of the best quality that you can.
In the end if we could lend each other our ear's, it would be awesome so we can truly hear what everyone else is hearing.(will have to wait for that tech. to show up).

The only possibility remain is to check ESS (RX A-1050) and Burr brown (RX A850) implementation on same speakers i.e. top of the line 777 tower speakers.

I will share the result. I plan to play same file on the both the receivers with pure direct on.

Friends as promised here is the report of the demo.

Speakers CM 9S2 Bahrain Dinar converted to indian currency Rs. 3Lakhs + taxes.

Experience the B&W CM9 S2 - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

CD player Yamaha connected to amplifier using coaxial cable.

Sound pristine, clean especially at the treble range. To my surprise Saber Dac is very nice and clean.

But somehow I felt that overall sound stage misses the warmth in the mid range which is required for the male voice.

Also immediately after that I took the demo of

1. Yamaha RX A1050 connected to NS 777

Did not like the lack of mid tone but bass and treble is very clear.

2. Yamaha RX V 779 coupled NS 8390 floor standing speakers.

Really like the warm mid tone and clear treble esp. on pure Direct.

3. Yamaha RX A-850 coupled to NS 8390

Surprisingly I did not like the sound stage even if this receiver belongs premium Aventage series. Mid range is clear but treble is lacking in pure direct.

Overall I liked the Yamaha RX V 779 sound very much.

Last edited:
Since you started the thread asking about a stereo amplifier I am assuming that music is your first priority rather than movies, if that is the case then stay clear of receivers and look at amps. Yamaha speakers are not the world's best, all due respect to them but you should audition other brands. If you have heard B&W then Yamaha's do not really come in the picture.

As far as the DACs go it is not the DAC chip but rather how it is implemented that commands the price and also reflects in the sound quality, that is not to say cheaper DACs can not sound good. Generally though a separate component almost always does better than a built-in one.

Hi ISO, I am entering this discussion a bit late I guess. I own a as-801 for about 6months or so now. I am extremely happy with it. I did a lot of auditioning before I took a leap. I had consulted the fms here also. I did my auditioning with many different speakers and I liked the sound.

I have it connected to Adam MK3 Pencil in a 2.0 setup. I mostly listen to music and every time I am pleased with the sound. I have graduated from receivers to amplifiers and I m liking it. The as801 has a lot of connectivity options also. I play high quality flack files using my laptop. High quality source is of great importance for great sound. If you are in Bangalore you could visit me for an auditioning.

Thanks shibashis and sachem

@Sachmm: Are you using internal DAC or external? Pl. share your setup.

I'm in Pune so can not come there.

In Bahrain I will get it at 300BD aprox 50K INR plus whatever custom applicable at Mumbai airport.

Is it not easy to get another brand ? Why only Yamaha ? For what ever price Yamaha is quoting I think a better sounding european brand can be bought .

Is it not easy to get another brand ? Why only Yamaha ? For what ever price Yamaha is quoting I think a better sounding european brand can be bought .

Yes I'm open to other brands also. Right now 'm in pune for fifteen days. I will try listen to other brands if possible.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back